By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Godzilla '14: Good, But Sadly Disappointing (Spoilers, Duh)

I completely agree, it is a good movie but i too felt disappointed. I wish they focused more on the fighting segment as it was split up alot by the human story and they built up Godzilla's entrance which took about an hour or so to finally see his face and then they spend about 15-20 minutes total after that. Also Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character was pretty average tbh, the rest of the actors were good though, i was extremely surprised by Elizabeth Olsen's performance. But hey its still a cool film and i'm happy with how they portrayed Godzilla, making out that he is indeed the King. 7/10

Buuuuuuut............. Pacific Rim is a better movie :P

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
curl-6 said:

I'd have to disagree with just about all of this.

- The final battle did NOT last 5-10 minutes, more like 15-20 all up. 

- 5% of a two hour movie would be 6 minutes of Godzilla. There is much more than that.

- Godzilla has been knocked out in action before; in Godzilla 2000, Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla, Terror of Mechagodzilla...

- Godzilla needing a distraction/assistance to get the upper hand has happened before too; in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II, Terror of Mechagodzilla, Godzilla Final Wars...

IF you include the human scenes, yea, it's probably 15-20 mins.  You just count the time Godzilla is on screen, then no, it probably falls somewhere around 5-10 mins. 

She said seemed, not being literal.  It was the impression she was left with, as was I, when we left the theatre.  Sure, he's technically on screen for more than 6 mins, but it doesn't change the fact that he's barely in the flick, nor is he a main focus of it.  More like he just shows up to fix the problem at the very end, not to be a big part of the film throughout after the halfway point.

Yea, he was knocked out.  But, did he just faint twice in one battle?  Nope.  Again, it should have been once near the end, and we should have been able to see those previous fights and get the impression he was getting tired out.  Not just faint because the script said he does.

Not refuting that.  But, it doesn't even seem like a fight, more like a beatdown.  Godzilla barely got any hits in and then he started getting his ass whooped.  At least in other fights, they have a little back and forth before they start whooping his butt.  Of course, this complaint is mainly due the briefness of the fights and/or lack of them.  Had the last one been longer OR we got to see more than one (as well as seeing that he was becoming tired after two prior fights), then I probably wouldn't have had a problem with this.

According to IMDB, 327 of the film's 960 effects shots are of Godzilla. For there to be just 5 mins of him, the average shot of him would have to be less than a second.

I don't recall him fainting until after he had killled both Mutos, after being 2v1'd for hours and having a building dropped on him.

And it seemed pretty well establiished to me that he was getting tired; in the scene where he faces Ford in the streets, his expession practically screamed "yeah, I'm havng a shit day too", haha. He looked very tired after the protracted battle. And I do recall him curbstomping the female Muto's head at one point before her boyfriend jumped in to uneven the odds, it wasn't a total whooping.

It was an Okay movie and certainly one I'll watch again (although unlikely in theaters again) and it was MILES better than he '98 movie.

But I agree that there just wasn't enough Godzilla in the movie. I'm glad we're making a sequel and I hope they learn from the feedback they're getting because with a couple of small changes they could make a GREAT Godzilla movie.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Yea, he was knocked out.  But, did he just faint twice in one battle?  Nope.  Again, it should have been once near the end, and we should have been able to see those previous fights and get the impression he was getting tired out.  Not just faint because the script said he does.

He only fainted once in the entire movie. That was in the end. During the battle with the MUTOs, the only time he fell was when the building collapsed on him but even then he didn't faint; he was trapped and only needed time to get out of the rubble. If he fainted, he wouldn't have been able to kill the last MUTO on time and Ford would have died. 

Or maybe you were talking about when the male MUTO did a dive attack on him? 

I'm not a big Godzilla fan, but this is what I think of the movie:

1. I too hated the part when they cut the male Muto-Godzilla fight in Hawaii. The movie could have been better with 2 or 3 fights.

2. Killing Bryan Cranston in the middle of the movie was a big and stupid mistake. Aaron Taylor-Johnson tries to do his best, but he's simply not experienced enough, and I felt that his acting was really forced. It could have turn out better with Bryan Cranston there.

3. The final battle was awesome! Incredible! I have no words to describe it. And the Atomic Breath... I almost cried when he did it! But I felt that the marines scenes at the end were forced into the script.

4. I liked the background story they built up since the beggining, and I liked that the movie didn't take too much time to explain Godzilla's origin.

Overall I think it's a solid 7/10. An enjoyable movie. It could have been perfect if it had 3 full battles, and if they didn't kill Bryan Cranston because I can't really imagine ATJ as the main character of a sequel.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
thismeintiel said:
curl-6 said:

I'd have to disagree with just about all of this.

- The final battle did NOT last 5-10 minutes, more like 15-20 all up. 

- 5% of a two hour movie would be 6 minutes of Godzilla. There is much more than that.

- Godzilla has been knocked out in action before; in Godzilla 2000, Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla, Terror of Mechagodzilla...

- Godzilla needing a distraction/assistance to get the upper hand has happened before too; in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II, Terror of Mechagodzilla, Godzilla Final Wars...

IF you include the human scenes, yea, it's probably 15-20 mins.  You just count the time Godzilla is on screen, then no, it probably falls somewhere around 5-10 mins. 

She said seemed, not being literal.  It was the impression she was left with, as was I, when we left the theatre.  Sure, he's technically on screen for more than 6 mins, but it doesn't change the fact that he's barely in the flick, nor is he a main focus of it.  More like he just shows up to fix the problem at the very end, not to be a big part of the film throughout after the halfway point.

Not refuting that.  But, it doesn't even seem like a fight, more like a beatdown.  Godzilla barely got any hits in and then he started getting his ass whooped.  At least in other fights, they have a little back and forth before they start whooping his butt.  Of course, this complaint is mainly due the briefness of the fights and/or lack of them.  Had the last one been longer OR we got to see more than one (as well as seeing that he was becoming tired after two prior fights), then I probably wouldn't have had a problem with this.

According to IMDB, 327 of the film's 960 effects shots are of Godzilla. For there to be just 5 mins of him, the average shot of him would have to be less than a second.

I don't recall him fainting until after he had killled both Mutos, after being 2v1'd for hours and having a building dropped on him.

And it seemed pretty well establiished to me that he was getting tired; in the scene where he faces Ford in the streets, his expession practically screamed "yeah, I'm havng a shit day too", haha. He looked very tired after the protracted battle. And I do recall him curbstomping the female Muto's head at one point before her boyfriend jumped in to uneven the odds, it wasn't a total whooping.

Lol, you're still getting technical with it.  It doesn't change the impression people will get that Godzilla is barely in it.  Or that he's not a major focus of the film.  And there is a lot of shots of Godzilla.  Of course, a lot of them are him swimming and preparing for a battle that doesn't happen onscreen.  He does get knocked out by a building for awhile, so I guess he does only faint once.  However, it still doesn't change that we, as the audience, see no reason for him to tire or see him become tired.  He just beats the MUTOS, starts to walk away, and then faints cause the script calls for it.

And I did say he got a few hits in.  Of course, the reason it looks like he's getting his ass whooped goes to my main point about the fights either not being there, or in this case, being so short that they don't have time to show a back and forth fight and/or establish well that he was tiring.  It's more like, "They're fighting. Quick get that scene over, people want to see what the humans are up to."

Normchacho said:
It was an Okay movie and certainly one I'll watch again (although unlikely in theaters again) and it was MILES better than he '98 movie.

But I agree that there just wasn't enough Godzilla in the movie. I'm glad we're making a sequel and I hope they learn from the feedback they're getting because with a couple of small changes they could make a GREAT Godzilla movie.

Yea, I'll probably pick it up on Blu-ray.  If they have a Director's Cut with more fight scenes, I'll get it when it drops.  If not, I'll wait til it drops price.

thismeintiel said:

Lol, you're still getting technical with it.  It doesn't change the impression people will get that Godzilla is barely in it.  Or that he's not a major focus of the film.  And there is a lot of shots of Godzilla.  Of course, a lot of them are him swimming and preparing for a battle that doesn't happen onscreen.  He does get knocked out by a building for awhile, so I guess he does only faint once.  However, it still doesn't change that we, as the audience, see no reason for him to tire or see him become tired.  He just beats the MUTOS, starts to walk away, and then faints cause the script calls for it.

And I did say he got a few hits in.  Of course, the reason it looks like he's getting his ass whooped goes to my main point about the fights either not being there, or in this case, being so short that they don't have time to show a back and forth fight and/or establish well that he was tiring.  It's more like, "They're fighting. Quick get that scene over, people want to see what the humans are up to."

He's not "barely in it", he's the first thing that's introduced, he ravages Honalulu, he smashes his way into San Fran harbour despite dozens of ships and tanks trying to stop him, and he spends the film's final act fighting and eventually beating both Mutos. His screen time isn't that far removed from some of the Japanese movies; the 1954 original, Godzilla vs Mothra '92, Godzilla Final Wars...

And there's clear reasons for him to be tired; he's been in a protracted fight where he was outnumbered two to one, and he had a building dropped on him.

thismeintiel said:
Normchacho said:

Yea, I'll probably pick it up on Blu-ray.  If they have a Director's Cut with more fight scenes, I'll get it when it drops.  If not, I'll wait til it drops price.

Awww yeah, I'd love an extended directors cut.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

lehamsy said:

I'm not a big Godzilla fan, but this is what I think of the movie:

1. I too hated the part when they cut the male Muto-Godzilla fight in Hawaii. The movie could have been better with 2 or 3 fights.

2. Killing Bryan Cranston in the middle of the movie was a big and stupid mistake. Aaron Taylor-Johnson tries to do his best, but he's simply not experienced enough, and I felt that his acting was really forced. It could have turn out better with Bryan Cranston there.

3. The final battle was awesome! Incredible! I have no words to describe it. And the Atomic Breath... I almost cried when he did it! But I felt that the marines scenes at the end were forced into the script.

4. I liked the background story they built up since the beggining, and I liked that the movie didn't take too much time to explain Godzilla's origin.

Overall I think it's a solid 7/10. An enjoyable movie. It could have been perfect if it had 3 full battles, and if they didn't kill Bryan Cranston because I can't really imagine ATJ as the main character of a sequel.

Yea, definitely.  I gave it a 7.5.  If they had a long battle at the end, without cutting to the humans so much, I would have given it an 8 or 8.5.  If they had only had one tease and then showed the other 2 battles (technically, the last one was more the beginning of the last battle, but still a beginning we didn't get to see) then it definitely would have been a 9 or 9.5.  As is, I think people are going to be disappointed, too.  Which is probably why it dropped ~17% from Fri to Sat.  I fear to see what next weekend brings.