By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Third Parties Return to Wii U If It Sells or Reaches 12 Million by 2015?

Will Third Parties Ever Return to Wii U?

Yes 109 33.23%

No 217 66.16%

Total:326

Wiiu won't hit 12 million until nearly 2016. So no.

Around the Network
Justagamer said:
Wiiu won't hit 12 million until nearly 2016. So no.

It will beat out the XOne, and Sony already loss Japan.

padib said:
oniyide said:

im not denying anything, you are just seeing it differently. The problem is those minigame, party, fitness and sports games did GOOD, real good for what they were, better than teh actual "meaningful" 3rd party games. Wii was NEVER going to get the games that are popular ps360 cause it would be a crap version and it wouldnt have sold as well as the REAL versions and the audience is completly different. The latter is proven by how well those minigame compilations sold. So no saying that Wii didnt get meaningfull support is wrong, they got DIFFERENT support for a DIFFERENT audience.

Hence his point. Anyone expecting anything more than party games and poor spinoffs as a result of strong sales on the U is dreaming.

the Wii U is a different system than the Wii, so it cant be that. Those party games arent and havent really done well because again the audience is not the same. The WIi U is not a casual machine, it is very much a Ninty gamers with some core machine, not unlike the GC and to a lesser extent n64. So the compilations wouldnt be meaniful support because nobody's biting.

padib said:
oniyide said:
padib said:
oniyide said:

im not denying anything, you are just seeing it differently. The problem is those minigame, party, fitness and sports games did GOOD, real good for what they were, better than teh actual "meaningful" 3rd party games. Wii was NEVER going to get the games that are popular ps360 cause it would be a crap version and it wouldnt have sold as well as the REAL versions and the audience is completly different. The latter is proven by how well those minigame compilations sold. So no saying that Wii didnt get meaningfull support is wrong, they got DIFFERENT support for a DIFFERENT audience.

Hence his point. Anyone expecting anything more than party games and poor spinoffs as a result of strong sales on the U is dreaming.

the Wii U is a different system than the Wii, so it cant be that. Those party games arent and havent really done well because again the audience is not the same. The WIi U is not a casual machine, it is very much a Ninty gamers with some core machine, not unlike the GC and to a lesser extent n64. So the compilations wouldnt be meaniful support because nobody's biting.

Well then, I hope you're right.

If Nintendo is able to attract a lucrative userbase with games like X, Zelda, Smash and Mario Kart, I see little reason why 3rd parties shouldn't jump in.

But to that, may I recall the N64?

I would like to hope, but I think it's a lost cause with 3rd parties honestly.

It seems like reality always bites us Nintendo fans in the tucuss, because we reason, if Nintendo can sell games to teens, why can't 3rd parties. And then 3rd parties end up making little money on Nintendo's consoles and we continue to wonder why.

but see thats the thing right there, they CANT. the WIi U is already tracking below GC and N64, those are systems that did 20mil and 30+ those, whatever Wii U is doing now clearly ISNT lucrative otherwise 3rd parties would be supporting it. n64 didnt get great 3rd party support, it missed a LOT of games and the games it did get were late ports. Its a numbers game if a system isnt selling well and its a pain in the butt to dev for, it wont get support. Hell Vita isnt falling into games either.

Cheebee said:
Wii sold 100 million+ and 3rd parties hardly cared.

Zack & Wiki, RE: Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Red Steel 2, The Conduit (even though 2 sucked ass), Boom Blocks, de Blob 1, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Little King's Story, Madworld, House of the Dead: Overkill, Dead Space: Extraction, the several exclusive Sonic games, the Samba de Amiga remake, Nights: Journey of Dreams, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Fragile Dreams, FFCC: The Crystal Bearers, Arc Rise Fantasia, Tales of Symphonia 2, Bomberman Land, Castlevania: Judgement, Dragon Quest Swords, Dragon Quest X, Kororinpa (Marble Mania) 1 & 2, Lost in Shadow, the MySims games, Soul Calibur Legends, We Love Golf!, the Klonoa remake, Mushroom Men, Rune Factory Frontier, Tenchu: Shadow Assasins, Cursed Mountain, The Munchables, Need for Speed: Nitro, Overlord: Dark Legend, TMNT: Smash Up, Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga, the A Boy and His Blog remake, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Sim City: Creator, Epic Mickey, Goldeneye 007, The Kore Gang, Namco Museum Remix/Megamix, Pac-Man Party, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, the Super Monkey Ball games, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, and of course Monster Hunter 3, would all like to have a word with you.

They were all Wii exclusives, or started as Wii exclusives before later being ported. And this is to say nothing of the many ports Wii DID get. I'm not saying all of these games did well, or that ALL of them were great, but many of them WERE great, or at least very solid exclusives. Point being, Wii had really strong third party support, in spite of appearances. The Wii U would be doing very well right now to have even half of the support Wii had.

So I'm sorry, but the statement you made is inaccurate.

Around the Network

No not the kind of 3rd Party Support i think the TC is thinking of

Neither EA,Activision and so on(the big share of 3rd Party games) will want to put their games on the WiiU
And getting 2 out of 100 games doesn't mean "the support has returned"

You obviously see some 3rd Party Games on the WiiU but not the big ones like Destiny,The Division,FF15 and many other future big budget projects
A lot of them won't even get announced anymore for the WiiU
What you will see is Nintendo founded games like X,Bayonetta 2 which are 3rd Party too.
But the big share of 3rd Party will never say (again?) "Hey lets put our game onto the WiiU - This will make total sense" especially if Nintendo isn't putting a big amount of money on the table to cover development costs while accepting their version won't probably be on par with the others.

5, 8, 12, 15? more or less the same and it doesn't really matter because third party software (AC, COD ect) doesn't typically rise alongside the userbase growth, Nintendo games do.

padib said:
oniyide said:
padib said:

Well then, I hope you're right.

If Nintendo is able to attract a lucrative userbase with games like X, Zelda, Smash and Mario Kart, I see little reason why 3rd parties shouldn't jump in.

But to that, may I recall the N64?

I would like to hope, but I think it's a lost cause with 3rd parties honestly.

It seems like reality always bites us Nintendo fans in the tucuss, because we reason, if Nintendo can sell games to teens, why can't 3rd parties. And then 3rd parties end up making little money on Nintendo's consoles and we continue to wonder why.

but see thats the thing right there, they CANT. the WIi U is already tracking below GC and N64, those are systems that did 20mil and 30+ those, whatever Wii U is doing now clearly ISNT lucrative otherwise 3rd parties would be supporting it. n64 didnt get great 3rd party support, it missed a LOT of games and the games it did get were late ports. Its a numbers game if a system isnt selling well and its a pain in the butt to dev for, it wont get support. Hell Vita isnt falling into games either.

So, you're saying (and I'm trying to follow you here) that if the U starts selling, that it will neither get the dance/party games (which you referred to as compilations), and will not either get core games (not necessarily games that demand next gen graphics but games like Red Steel or Okami)?

So they'll get no 3rd party support if the U is successful?

no, im saying its not and will not get third party support because its NOT successful. Now if you think it will turn it around, thats your opinion Its been 18 months and still tracking below GC so im just gonna say the failed. IF they can someone do better than n64 numbers it will get support. 

12 million by 2015 sounds like impossible numbers.. But I would love to see it happen.. Mario kart would have to blow literally everybody's expectations to make those numbers. So even if wii u did reach that many, it would be because of people wanting to playa mario karat and smash bros. still doesn't leave a lot of room for them, now does it?

padib said:
oniyide said:
padib said:

So, you're saying (and I'm trying to follow you here) that if the U starts selling, that it will neither get the dance/party games (which you referred to as compilations), and will not either get core games (not necessarily games that demand next gen graphics but games like Red Steel or Okami)?

So they'll get no 3rd party support if the U is successful?

no, im saying its not and will not get third party support because its NOT successful. Now if you think it will turn it around, thats your opinion Its been 18 months and still tracking below GC so im just gonna say the failed. IF they can someone do better than n64 numbers it will get support. 

Okay... The thread is asking if 3rd parties will return if it sells 12 Million by 2015. In other words, if its at least midly successful (12M is basically doubling its total sales in 1 year).

It's a hypothetical question.

thats fair...maybe. Kind of doubt it, because games take time to make and they are already starting to move fully with PS4 and One which is gonna be damn near impossible or a big hassle for them to downport.