By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Lacks Racial Diversity Says Reviewer (Update)

Hell yeah! I am also offended by the lack of unicorns! Damn Nintendo devs! >:(

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Zelus said:

You're the type of whiner who convinced the directors of Thor to include an asian and an afro-american in Aasgard.

Edit: AASGARD, DAMMIT

I don't think anyone "convinced" them. They decided to do that shit themselves. Nevermind that they're supposed to be a bunch of NORSE gods. But then again, they downplayed the "god" part, and tried to make them seem like some kind of "super advanced aliens from another world" instead. Hence the reason in Thor 2, we got Star Wars bullshit, with magical DARK ELVES and magical GODS, flying around in space ships and shooting LASERS at each other.

Oh Hollywood..................*sigh*

TM25 said:

Racism in a game where one of the characters is a green dinosaur.  Also shyguy be offended.

I hope you are being sarcastic because a green dinosaur is not a representation of an actual person.It is easy for whites to say who cares when everything caters to whites, which show's the ignorance of their thinking.All games lack racial diversity just like movies and TV.I have never complained about it but being a minority I understand those who do.Also it is hypocritical for people (not saying you) to say its no big deal then complain about CJ in GTA Vice City being black and the one guy bringing up Thor or Harry Potter.Even though those are fantasy, it is ok to have Elves and Dwarves, but not real people who actually exist such as blacks.

DevilRising said:
Zelus said:

You're the type of whiner who convinced the directors of Thor to include an asian and an afro-american in Aasgard.

Edit: AASGARD, DAMMIT

I don't think anyone "convinced" them. They decided to do that shit themselves. Nevermind that they're supposed to be a bunch of NORSE gods. But then again, they downplayed the "god" part, and tried to make them seem like some kind of "super advanced aliens from another world" instead. Hence the reason in Thor 2, we got Star Wars bullshit, with magical DARK ELVES and magical GODS, flying around in space ships and shooting LASERS at each other.

Oh Hollywood..................*sigh*

But it is ok for hollywood to make everyone white in Egyptian movies (Egyptians are not.white), DBZ and Air The Last Air Bender.Thor 2 was better BTW, but LOL@ white privilege.I expect more from gamers, but ignorance and racism affects all things.

NintendoMonkey33 said:
You never know what race is under that Shyguy mask lol.

This is just stupid, most of the characters aren't even human.

I agree this case is stupid.So are most of these childish/ignorant comments and people making stupid comparisons.They prove the reviewers point.

Around the Network
GoldenGamer said:
TM25 said:

Racism in a game where one of the characters is a green dinosaur.  Also shyguy be offended.

I hope you are being sarcastic because a green dinosaur is not a representation of an actual person.It is easy for whites to say who cares when everything caters to whites, which show's the ignorance of their thinking.All games lack racial diversity just like movies and TV.I have never complained about it but being a minority I understand those who do.Also it is hypocritical for people (not saying you) to say its no big deal then complain about CJ in GTA Vice City being black and the one guy bringing up Thor or Harry Potter.Even though those are fantasy, it is ok to have Elves and Dwarves, but not real people who actually exist such as blacks.

I hope you are being sarcastic. Mario kart is not an attempt to emulate real life.  I a gay man do not get angry that there are no gay characters in Mario.  I have also not developed an adversion to flowers for fear they may set my hands on fire.  I don't need pandered to.  I'm sorry you feel isolated, but I would be saying the same thing if all the characters were of a Jamaican ethnicity.  If you are going to scream for biodiversity you should do it for a series that isn't comprised of an overall majority on non-human characters.  Yes that's right technically in the Mario universe humans are the minority.

...What?

Okay. This is stupid. I'm black. This is a Mario game. This Italian Plummer. That already makes 7 characters that need to be white by extension. Mario, Metal Mario, Baby Mario, Luigi, baby Luigi, Wario, and Walluigi. Then there are essentially only three other characters that happen to be white, again amounting to 7 because of clones. Peach, Pink Gold Peach, Baby Peach, Daisy, Baby Daisy, Rosalina, and Baby Rolalina. If you discount all clones and count the family as one unit, that's FOUR FUCKING HUMANS. Every other character in this game is a monster of some kind! Who the hell cares if Mario's Italian centric family doesn't shoehorn in a black person for "diversity?" If I want to be diverse, I'll be a koopaling, or I'll be my fucking mii.

If Nintendo responds to shit like this by making a token black Mario character, I'll be pissed.

_crazy_man_ said:
Mowco said:
Can I have a french Mario with a beret and a baguette?

Eh, close enough.

Is the Wii Oui Nintendo's next console?

What do they want? A black Luigi with a fro? Considering that the only substantial character of color was Barret from FFVII I don't think any Nintendo characters would qualify. I always thought daisy was mixed and that Shy Guy was a white supremacist.

Ljink96 said:
What do they want? A black Luigi with a fro? Considering that the only substantial character of color was Barret from FFVII I don't think any Nintendo characters would qualify. I always thought daisy was mixed and that Shy Guy was a white supremacist.

That's why DLC exists!