By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Ryse Son Of Rome still the best looking console game?

I own both games and I think Ryse graphically is better. Now, SS runs smoother and has great effects and graphics, but some of the scenes in Ryse are breathtaking.

It is hard to compare the two since both have such different styles.

In the end Ryse is the only game out of the X1 and PS4 that "wowed" me when I first played it.

Playing both on a 60" Samsung Plasma.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
Zekkyou said:
walsufnir said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

"Originally touted as a solid 30fps experience, Ryse misses the mark more often than we'd like with frame-rates often fluctuating between 26-28fps and the most challenging situations even seeing the frame-rate drop into the teens."

"We've produced a stress test designed to push the engine to its limits. While the frame-rate typically stays north of 30 fps there are certainly plenty of circumstances which can knock performance into the 20s."

DF vs. ISS.

In fairness, those circumstances are usually the special moves, during which time you have little to no control over your character, unlike Ryse which is during general gameplay.

Have you played Ryse?

Your post was funny because in the DF video where they track and show framerate, the only time Ryse dipped below 20 was during a cut scene where you dont control the character, and some executions where you dont control the character.

I was simply pointing out that the drops to the 20's he mentioned were almost all during those special moves, which you have little to no control over. During actual gameplay it spends 99% of its time sitting around 30 - 40fps (or locked 30fps, whichever takes your fancy).

Ryse's 20's frame rate on the other hand is part of the general gameplay. Usually it runs at about 26 - 32 fps depending on the level (bases on DF's performance videos), with occasional drops to 24fps (but those are fairly rare by comparison).

I have never once mentioned Ryse's drops into the teens. Same reason i never mention infamous's drops to the mid twenties during special moves or its rises to 40 - 50fps during some levels/areas. All of those things are inaccurate representations of either game, so when talking about the general performance of both they are irrelevant.

sales2099 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
sales2099 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

"Originally touted as a solid 30fps experience, Ryse misses the mark more often than we'd like with frame-rates often fluctuating between 26-28fps and the most challenging situations even seeing the frame-rate drop into the teens."

Still looks gorgeous. 1080p/60fps being a seperate issue, X1 can do some beautiful high poly games.

Drugs aside, lance armstrong can still win races.

God forbid we admit X1 can make beautiful games. lol

Ive never denied it. But as far as competitions go, they should have rules and I dont see why eliminating games which frequently go below 30fps isnt a good rule to have for this generation of consoles.

fps_d0minat0r said:
sales2099 said:

God forbid we admit X1 can make beautiful games. lol

Ive never denied it. But as far as competitions go, they should have rules and I dont see why eliminating games which frequently go below 30fps isnt a good rule to have for this generation of consoles.

Have to say i agree. As i said earlier, i find it very difficult to be impressed by a game that can't maintain a consistent frame rate with a resolution already 44% below 1080p :/

I have similar sentiments over The Order right now. It's without a doubt the most stunning looking console game we've ever seen (by quite a lot in-fact), but if they don't fix those frame rate issues before launch then i can't say i'll be overly impressed by it.

Zekkyou said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Have to say i agree. As i said earlier, i find it very difficult to be impressed by a game that can't maintain a consistent frame rate with a resolution already 44% below 1080p :/

I have similar sentiments over The Order right now. It's without a doubt the most stunning looking console game we've ever seen (by quite a lot in-fact), but if they don't fix those frame rate issues before launch then i can't say i'll be overly impressed by it.

Eh The Order looks good but the first footage they showed had some pretty glaring flaws. The dead eyes being the worst offender

Around the Network
- Double Post -

BenVTrigger said:
Zekkyou said:

Eh The Order looks good but the first footage they showed had some pretty glaring flaws. The dead eyes being the worst offender

Can't say i agree personally ^^; The only thing i really had to complain about it (excluding the performance), was the angular texture blurring the AF was giving some of the walls. Outside of that i was pretty blown away. We will just have to wait for launch i suppose.

Also dem cloth physics.

Zekkyou said:

Those saying Ryse "never was" are being a little unfair to it i think. You can't really proclaim either Ryse or Killzone as the definitive best looking launch title, GG and Crytek went down pretty different paths for what they wanted to prioritize.

Ryse for example had considerably better character models and animations (perhaps excluding Maya's facial animations), a more advanced AA method (fuck FXAA, y u do dat guerrilla :c) and more complex geometry thanks to its more linear nature.

Killzone on the other hand was running at a fair higher performance level than Ryse (1080p/30 - 40fps, so on average about 75% - 80% higher than Ryse's 900p/26 - 32fps), was often rendering more open areas (such as the forest level), and often utilized some seriously stunning textures.

Overall Killzone was certainly the more resource intensive of the two, but Ryse made better use of what it was given. With all of that in mind i don't think you can really say one is more of an achievement than the other, outside of general aesthetics preference.

inFamous beats the crap out of both though

You nailed it. Currently, thanks to a better AA (SMAA) Ryse somehow is at the same technical level (apparently) than Killzone.

It wouldn't be the case if Guerrilla had used SMAA instead of shitty FXAA which destroys all small geometry details and high resolution textures. In short the 44% higher resolution/more pixels pushed by Killzone SF are destroyed by using the blurry shitty FXAA.

And it's a shame, because we know that in the capped mode of the SP they could have afforded SMAA instead of FXAA easily.

At this point I think the decision to use the blurry/soft FXAA instead of a sharp Morphological AA like SMAA is an artistic decision. Remember that they used the awful vaseline effect named Quincunx for Killzone 2. They do like vaseline filters in their games..

globalisateur said:

You nailed it. Currently, thanks to a better AA (SMAA) Ryse somehow is at the same technical level (apparently) than Killzone.

It wouldn't be the case if Guerrilla had used SMAA instead of shitty FXAA which destroys all small geometry details and high resolution textures. In short the 44% higher resolution/more pixels pushed by Killzone SF are destroyed by using the blurry shitty FXAA.

And it's a shame, because we know that in the capped mode of the SP they could have afforded SMAA instead of FXAA easily.

At this point I think the decision to use the blurry/soft FXAA instead of a sharp Morphological AA like SMAA is an artistic decision. Remember that they used the awful vaseline effect named Quincunx for Killzone 2. They do like vaseline filters in their games..

Yeah i'm not a fan of FXAA at all. It has to be said for a developer as graphically skilled as GG, they sure make a lot of odd decisions :P

In SF i think the MP was the worst offender. They use a seriously cool temporal frame method that allows them to give the frame rate a heavy bump while maintaining the clarity of 1080p, then they go and poor buckets of motion blur over it ¬_¬

Infamous looks better AND it's open world.

I am the Playstation Avenger.