By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2014 NPD Thread!

J_Allard said:
Next month will be a disaster with people knowing a $400 console is coming.

Yeah absolute carnage.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
BenVTrigger said:

Halo 2 Anniversay (the most loved Halo online game ever) with access to the Halo 5 Beta is a massive system seller. Forza Horizon not as much but still adds to an overall library which attracts consumers.

By no means am I stating MS for sure wins the holidays but they have a decent chance. I keep telling people its too early to claim for sure victory for anyone right now. Especially over individual seasons such as Holiday 2014 specifically.

Sony's E3 could be amazing and they could continue to dominate. Who knows the price drop on the Xbox One may have a real effect coupled with Halo. That's what I mean, don't judge anything in the US yet. 

Worldwide Sony wins hands down no contest.

So, is there any possibility that Sony counters MS' price cut in Nov, to capture the Holidays?  Or do you think they even need to, at this point?  Or is it hard tellin' without seeing what E3 brings...prob the latter, but an interesting ace I think Sony can still play if they need to.

I think MS would automatically price match anything Sony does from here on out. And Sony knows that. Now that Kinect is out of the box, the manufacturing costs for both machines should be fairly similar, give or take, so if one drops, expect the other to follow suit. 

If a price cut is initiated, it probably will be MS doing it ... I think Sony is quite content to leave things the way they are. 

BenVTrigger said:
colafitte said:

Neither of those XBO games are system sellers, because the Halo game, is a remake, not Halo 5. Destiny and AC Unity will do more for PS4 than all the exclusives for XBO, even in USA.

Halo 2 Anniversay (the most loved Halo online game ever) with access to the Halo 5 Beta is a massive system seller. Forza Horizon not as much but still adds to an overall library which attracts consumers.

By no means am I stating MS for sure wins the holidays but they have a decent chance. I keep telling people its too early to claim for sure victory for anyone right now. Especially over individual seasons such as Holiday 2014 specifically.

Sony's E3 could be amazing and they could continue to dominate. Who knows the price drop on the Xbox One may have a real effect coupled with Halo. That's what I mean, don't judge anything in the US yet. 

I don't know...I never seen a remake being a system seller. I'm not saying Halo 2 Anniversary+Halo 5 beta won't do good numbers, but i won't call it a "massive system seller", maybe you must admit you exaggerated... a little bit, XD. Halo 5 could have been that "massive" system seller, but i can't believe a remake, even one like Halo 2 Anniversary, will do such wonders....Maybe i'm wrong but i think history is on my side.

In my opinion, even if Sony doesn't announce something new, 3rd parties will do the work for PS4 like they did at launch when XBO was considered to have way better exclusive games than PS4.

BenVTrigger said:
thismeintiel said:
So, PS4 increases the gap in the US by ~85K. What is the gap, now? Gotta be closing in on 500K, now. I'm guessing May will add another ~100K, thanks to Watch Dogs. Even with the price cut, I doubt MS will win June. Probably close the monthly gap, though. September will probably be 100K in the PS4's advantage, again, thanks to Destiny. So, what? We looking at maybe a 800K-1M gap by the end of the year? Wonder when the One is supposed to start closing the overall gap, and win the US, like many have predicted it would.

Honestly unless something major comes from Sony this holiday there is a real chance MS could win the holidays in the US.

They're dropping price, releasing Halo, Sunset Overdrive, and Forza Horizon 2. That's a hell of a line up and so far Sony's this year appears worse. The Order could be amazing and turn out to be the next Uncharted or The Last of Us but that remains to be seen.

MS is in a bad position right now, but I think the holidays will be closer than the race has been in the US. 

The prices are now the same (or will be in June), but the PS4 is still quite a bit more powerful, so you are getting more for your buck.  Something core gamers who are buying the systems now, and in the near future, will know.  You say Halo, but it's supposedly only Halo 2 Anniversary, not something huge, like Halo 5.  Sunset Overdrive is a new IP, and made by a studio who hasn't really proven itself since breaking away from Sony.  Forza Horizon didn't exactly sell gangbusters, or systems, for that matter.  Not saying Sony has anything extremely better (most of their releases announced are unproven new IPs, though some do look promising and are from devs who have proven themselves), but they do have the momentum.  And the word of mouth.  And the better multiplats.  Of course, Sony has many more 1st party studios we have yet to hear from.  I can see a few more titles coming this year from a few of them.  Or early next year, which people still keep in mind for their Xmas shopping.

Also, on the topic of price, I see a possible $349 Black Friday bundle for both, but I'm going to have to say that that will favor Sony more than MS, again having the better HW and multiplats for the same price.

starcraft said:
J_Allard said:
Next month will be a disaster with people knowing a $400 console is coming.

Yeah absolute carnage.

inb4ban!

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Wii U 49k calling it now

Not bad Pavolink, not bad.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

thismeintiel said:
BenVTrigger said:
thismeintiel said:
So, PS4 increases the gap in the US by ~85K. What is the gap, now? Gotta be closing in on 500K, now. I'm guessing May will add another ~100K, thanks to Watch Dogs. Even with the price cut, I doubt MS will win June. Probably close the monthly gap, though. September will probably be 100K in the PS4's advantage, again, thanks to Destiny. So, what? We looking at maybe a 800K-1M gap by the end of the year? Wonder when the One is supposed to start closing the overall gap, and win the US, like many have predicted it would.

Honestly unless something major comes from Sony this holiday there is a real chance MS could win the holidays in the US.

They're dropping price, releasing Halo, Sunset Overdrive, and Forza Horizon 2. That's a hell of a line up and so far Sony's this year appears worse. The Order could be amazing and turn out to be the next Uncharted or The Last of Us but that remains to be seen.

MS is in a bad position right now, but I think the holidays will be closer than the race has been in the US. 

The prices are now the same (or will be in June), but the PS4 is still quite a bit more powerful, so you are getting more for your buck.  Something core gamers who are buying the systems now, and in the near future, will know.  You say Halo, but it's supposedly only Halo 2 Anniversary, not something huge, like Halo 5.  Sunset Overdrive is a new IP, and made by a studio who hasn't really proven itself since breaking away from Sony.  Forza Horizon didn't exactly sell gangbusters, or systems, for that matter.  Not saying Sony has anything extremely better (most of their releases announced are unproven new IPs, though some do look promising and are from devs who have proven themselves), but they do have the momentum.  And the word of mouth.  And the better multiplats.  Of course, Sony has many more 1st party studios we have yet to hear from.  I can see a few more titles coming this year from a few of them.  Or early next year, which people still keep in mind for their Xmas shopping.

Also, on the topic of price, I see a possible $349 Black Friday bundle for both, but I'm going to have to say that that will favor Sony more than MS, again having the better HW and multiplats for the same price.

Though hardware power isn't the be all, end all I suppose. PS3 was more powerful than the XBox 360 and the SNES moreso than the Genesis, so there are ways to fight that especially in the US market, but a $100 difference in price was absolutely killing MS, I think we'll see a closer fight starting from post-E3 onwards in North America as the news get out there into the mainstream that they're both the same price. 

Then people are going to start looking more closely at what system has what exclusive. 

mornelithe said:
BenVTrigger said:

So, is there any possibility that Sony counters MS' price cut in Nov, to capture the Holidays?  Or do you think they even need to, at this point?  Or is it hard tellin' without seeing what E3 brings...prob the latter, but an interesting ace I think Sony can still play if they need to.

Nope I'm not predicting a price cut or really anything yet. For a few reasons

1. I have no idea how an official $100 price cut in the US will effect the Xbox One

2. Who knows what Ace up their sleeves Sony / MS still have and are going to unleash at E3

3. We're still only about a half of a year into these console life cycles. There still isn't a firm established pattern to how these consoles sell (other than Sony currently being higher, but the numbers themselves are changing pretty drastically from month to month for both)

So basically I'm just saying to me its too early to call the holiday period for anyone. There's just far too many variables that could change the outcome.

Pavolink said:
Pavolink said:
Wii U 49k calling it now

Not bad Pavolink, not bad.

He was spot on like a clean kill to the head ... 

cross gen games all the way to the holidays but next gen will have decent holiday sales,plenty of shoppers wanting to move on by late 2014

I smell like the dark forest of Dwemereth in the morning mist                                                   fanboy til i'm bankrupt