By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What is the rational that US/UK is Xbox's?

Cause the Xbox One has the best chance of winning those territories simply because those countries make up a bigger portion of it's sales, while the PS4 has a more even distribution worldwide. The 360 also took last gen for the US and UK, and from what I've noticed at least is that a lot of 360 owners buy right into the kind of games that the Xbox One caters (Halo, Gears of War, etc.), so if they had a choice between the two evenly matched consoles they'd go with the ones with the games they like.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

Xbox easily won gen 7 against playstation which is what they talk about right ,about 18m up i think,level with nintendo though

xbox market loss in gen 8 against playstation is already hurting though as we can hear by all these announcements

I smell like the dark forest of Dwemereth in the morning mist                                                   fanboy til i'm bankrupt

Because PS4 has no multiplayer games outside of multiplats worth playing. We like our multiplayer games. Gears and Halo will sell boxes.

Speaking from the US perspective, I can give a couple of big reasons why this is...

1: Unlike a good chunk of the rest of the world (specifically Japan, but also many parts of Europe as well), the general gaming populace isn't fiercely loyal to one specific console manufacturer or another here, nor do we shun entertainment companies who aren't based in our home country. We've gone from Atari to Nintendo, to briefly SEGA then back to Nintendo, then Sony and then Nintendo again, then M$ and for now back to Sony as console market share leaders over the past 30 years.

2: While the console industry was completely dominated by Japanese-developed games and consoles for nearly two decades, in the past gen the Xbox brand, especially 360, helped consoles branch out to more western style games that were traditionally only found on PC like online shooters, strategy and WRPGs. Since the PC / Windows platform was so popular in the west, especially in the US, having the Xbox / Xbox 360 as more living room friendly extensions of these platforms greatly increased the audience and appeal of traditionally PC-only titles and genres.

Also M$ may not have been the first to bring online gaming to consoles, but they were the first to get it right with their Xbox Live platform, and for a good portion of last gen XBL was a big selling point for the 360, and it was the lead platform for many of the biggest online titles like Halo and COD.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

You can't extrapolate like that.
Xbox is the one and only console ever that is extremely US centric. That and the year head start helped it to Win US against PS3 by a landslide.
Console ecosystems are more and more integrated now so changing a console is more and more difficult. In the past there wasn't a single thing keeping a person from changing consoles between generations. Now they have subscriptions, friends lists, achievements, familiarity. The chance that people who had an X360 will go with X1 this gen is really really high in US.
MS is willing to fight for it so US will be definitely Xbox territory. Unless of course they screw up again and make a 180 in the wrong direction.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
You can't extrapolate like that.
Xbox is the one and only console ever that is extremely US centric. That and the year head start helped it to Win US against PS3 by a landslide.
Console ecosystems are more and more integrated now so changing a console is more and more difficult. In the past there wasn't a single thing keeping a person from changing consoles between generations. Now they have subscriptions, friends lists, achievements, familiarity. The chance that people who had an X360 will go with X1 this gen is really really high in US.
MS is willing to fight for it so US will be definitely Xbox territory. Unless of course they screw up again and make a 180 in the wrong direction.

achivements/trophies, imo, only motivate the fanatics that knew which console they were getting before any console was announced.

friends is a huge reason people pick a console, but the last gen consoles don't play with the next gen consoles.  people will follow their IRL friends to whatever console they are insterested in.  internet friends, in everything i've ever played, are extreemly disposable.

subscriptions run out and aren't that expensive to begin with.

...pay attention to the early gen sales.   they haven't been anything like last gen sales.   that already is the proof that these influences don't matter that much.  america especially has no brand loyalty.

Of course they are (a toss up) as we've seen the last few months. If MS didn't make change PS4 would for sure be the winner crushing that claim.

I think what people mean (and were expecting) is that provided the previous leader doesn't monumentally fuck up (which they always seem to do) they'd take first place.

If Sony had come out with a cheaper and flawless campaign for PS3, it would have won. If MS hit all the right boxes with XB1, it would have hit the ground running.

Just looking in the current Kinect dropped threads show some people saying that UK/US is now a MS lockin. I personally don't see it that way, and believe Sony could squeak it, probably more so in the USA than in uk.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

KylieDog said:
Pretty sure 360 'won' UK because it was stupidly cheaper. Was even a point you could buy two 360 arcades for the price of one PS3.

I remember the 360 being cheaper than the Wii at one point. It was popular for people to say why get a PS3 when you can get a Wii and 360 for less. It was a true argument to be honest. 

I do not believe the xstation is going to take US/UK. I did not believe it before the gen started and I do not believe it now. You could get a console, kinect and GOTG for less than a PS4 and it did not smash the PS4 out the charts. At the moment you can get a console, kinect, GOTG, forza and gohst for 420. 

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Because the XO can only get better from now on

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.