By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We all know Microsoft screwed up.

What was Microsoft's bigger mistake?

The DRM fiasco 253 30.01%

Forced Kinect and $100 price difference 305 36.18%

It wouldn't have mattere... 152 18.03%

I like turtles 128 15.18%

Total:838
Burek said:
XboneWins said:
Taking away their DRM idea because of some whiners who would never buy xbox anyway. They should have just kept their heads.

People are very quick to forget what the DRM idea was, and XBox fanboy "sunshades" really don't help in remembering.

I really don't understand how anyone can defend their DRm intentions, no matter how much in love they were/are with the platform.

There was never any opposition to the type of DRM that exists today on XBLA, PSN, Steam, or any other digital distribution network. People have been buying digital games for over a decade, and never was there any problems with the game being tied to a specific account, user or a unique machine.

Heck, all those companies even have a system to allow you to transfer your ownership should your piece of hardware break or should you decide to upgrade/purchase new one. Nobody is complaining that his purchased over XBLA/PSN cannot be easily resold or regifted to someone.

The entire XOne DRM fiasco was due to their policy of enforcing DRM on physical copies of the game. The entire uproar was about MS treating all their customers as potential thieves, who need to monitored on a daily basis in order to prevent them from stealing discs or, even worse, gifting them to someone once they are finished with them. The entire uproar was about a disc being tied to a singular account/console, making that disc practiacally a worthless piece of plastic used only as a delivery method and as a method of control.

It was about Microsoft requiring you to check into their "facility" every 24 hours, treating their customers like paroled criminals, keeping tabs on them. even knowing where they are at any point in time.

It was about distinguishing a service (XBLA) from a product (BluRay).

Please, do try to understand that just because you love a product or a company producing it, you do not have to accept every single demand they make upon you. It is OK to judge them and criticise them. Only through criticism can we all improve.

Wouldn't you rather receive a constructive criticism of your work, which in turn will make your end product better, than just have an army of "yes-men" praising your every move, no matter how erroneus it is, and it ends up hurting your product.

MS listened to criticism, and must be praised for its quick reaction. It unfortunatelly hurt them a bit, but the hurting has stopped. You and every XOne owner can now freely purchase disc-based games, can trade them amongst yourselves, even return them to the store and exchange them for new games. You can afford to go to the submarine and play your wonderful XOne games without your parole officer checking in on you.

Some whiners purchased XOne. Some haven't because they were hurt by the initial decision. Some never intended to buy it, but needed to raise their voice, because once someone else's freedom is trampled upon, the others are not far behind. And I don't mean in just in this case of games.

There is a rich history of people fighting for someone else's cause. Lincoln fought against slavery, and he was not black. Soldiers went abroad to fight to keep other countries free. Today we see that majority of voters approve of gay marriage, even if just a minority really is gay.

So are you the guy who will never buy a xbox again?

Anyway, you can whine as much as you want. You would have been able to sell your used games comfortably, you could have shared your library with "family", because of that 24h check you would not have to use the disc to play.  I for one don't need a disc. They just take up a lot of space for nothing.

Everything would have been better with the drm solution, but MS thought that the "internet rage" was genuine when it was just the usual sony fanboys spreading their bullshit.

edit:

Oh and I don't own a submarine, so your "benefits" of dismissing the DRM are basically that you will have to use the disc to play. Great. I guess I should be ubermad because some disc games require the steam AND a freaking internet connection! Yet no sony fanboys whine about that :)

Around the Network

I take it you either haven't read what I wrote, or you chose to completely ignore it.

It's not what YOU want, but what people as a whole want. And that was no checkup on physical media. I also think that you don't truly understand the scope of that DRM.

Family share is irrelevant, as it is absolutely sideways to the physical media DRM. It was for digital downloads, and I see no reason why MS had to cancel it, it can still exist with today's policies in place.

Submarine is not my idea, it was the term used by XBox boss himself. I suspect that it was one of the main reasons for him exiting the helm.

I hope that you will find the time and strength to objectively analize the entire situation, and that in the end you will see why DRM is bad in general. 

P.S. We are talking about Microsoft, not Sony, and I fail to see the connection between Steam requirements and "Sony fanboys whining".

Dark_Feanor said:

Production started only in september.

And the possibility that the camera alone would damage the production output and increase the final price might be the very reason it was unbundled.

The fact is that Sony spent a reseanable amount of time and money developing the new PSCamera, the lightbar is a reminder of the original view they have for the PS4.

This also include DRM verification that was rumored for the PS4 to have until the last minute of last year E3. Just remember that every "shark" at SCE was asked if PS4 would have any kind of online check or anti-used-games feature... they never denied they were working on it.

Sony decided to go the safast way, it´s been working for them... for now.

and how much of that speculative nonesense do you actually believe?

Sony's original vision for the PS4 was shown in Feb 2013 way before the XB1 was shown and way before any bad reaction to bundling a camera was shown. the PS Eye was barely, barely shown in that event. in fact it was just mentioned that it exists, and barely anything more. if sony's original vision was to include it with every PS4 sold they would have focused on it much more when announcing the PS4. but they didnt, because it was an small accessory, not a mandatory one. if  they  did intended to bundle it, they would have at least focused on it a bit.

@underlined: no, sony decided to do what the consumers wanted, it wasnt the safest way, it was the smartest way. MS fucked up big time regarding many issues, from the decision to add DRM to bundling kinect to using DDR3 instead of GDDR5. and as much as you want to deny those it wont change the sales figures and it wont change the fact that MS shot them selfs in the foot, many many times. while Sony played it smart. 

Burek said:

I take it you either haven't read what I wrote, or you chose to completely ignore it.

It's not what YOU want, but what people as a whole want. And that was no checkup on physical media. I also think that you don't truly understand the scope of that DRM.

Family share is irrelevant, as it is absolutely sideways to the physical media DRM. It was for digital downloads, and I see no reason why MS had to cancel it, it can still exist with today's policies in place.

Submarine is not my idea, it was the term used by XBox boss himself. I suspect that it was one of the main reasons for him exiting the helm.

I hope that you will find the time and strength to objectively analize the entire situation, and that in the end you will see why DRM is bad in general. 

P.S. We are talking about Microsoft, not Sony, and I fail to see the connection between Steam requirements and "Sony fanboys whining".

No, you don't know what people as "a whole" want. You just know what the loudest people on internet aka sony fanboys/ms haters "want".

For example, paying for online play was a mortal sin... untill sony made the same move and then it was all good.

DRM is good for the industry. DRM is good for you.

User was moderated for this post - Conegamer

DRM caused a lot of people to question their intentions in the gaming industry. They were very disorganized and unsure of policy and that made it seem even more suspicious. That kind of trust is hard to re-build. What actually prevents me from getting one is the size of the console and my history with RROD. i have to see that thing be problem free for at least 2 years.

Around the Network
XboneWins said:

Anyway, you can whine as much as you want. You would have been able to sell your used games comfortably, you could have shared your library with "family", because of that 24h check you would not have to use the disc to play.  I for one don't need a disc. They just take up a lot of space for nothing.

Everything would have been better with the drm solution, but MS thought that the "internet rage" was genuine when it was just the usual sony fanboys spreading their bullshit.

'24 hr check'

If you don't see that this is the issue you didn't get it to begin with.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
XboneWins said:

'24 hr check'

There is no issue. The longest downtime on my internet connection for 3 years has been 5 hours. That was during a blackout.

Everyone has some kind of internet connection nowadays.

The Fury said:
XboneWins said:

'24 hr check'

Out of curiosity, how often does Sony check online for your ps+-membership?

XboneWins said:

There is no issue. The longest downtime on my internet connection for 3 years has been 5 hours. That was during a blackout.

Everyone has some kind of internet connection nowadays.

Yeah I guess they do. Like when you go on holiday and turn off the system. You've got your phone, I can check in with that right? to make sure the game I bought I am allowed to play. It's the internet, I guess that is how it works.

Hmm, pie.

walsufnir said:
The Fury said:
XboneWins said:

'24 hr check'

Out of curiosity, how often does Sony check online for your ps+-membership?

You have to be online when you try to play a "free" game from sony.