By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Death of HD-DVD and Why Microsoft is Dying

Slimebeast said:
Hey Diomedes, what's up in Portugal?

He doesn't know, because he's Spanish ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I can't see them bringing out a Blu-Ray addon since the HD-DVD one was simply a way for Microsoft to show support for HD-DVD. It wouldn't make any sense for them to bring out a Blu-ray one unless they thought it would help sell consoles. Since only ~3% bought the HD-DVD addon for the 360 dispite the fact no other console had HD-DVD it's doubtful they would think the whole venture worthwhile for Blu-Ray.

Slimebeast said:

Hey you! Don't you associate that guy with Portugal now! 

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Microsoft makes more money in a day then Apple makes in a month.

Vista is selling like hotcakes and MS profits were up like 87% last quarter.

Xbox 360 has made roughly 500 million dollars of profit the last six months.

Those are all publically available and not arguable.

So many people hate MS they are always hoping they leave, but they will not. Sony is far more likely to leave the videogame business than MS. PS3 has already lost more money than Xbox 1. It's a fact. PS3 has lost billions of dollars. Nobody talks about that, but it is simply a fact.

360 has already shipped 17.7 million, the Xbox 1 shipped 24-25 million it's whole life. So most likely this year 360 will surpass Xbox 1 lifetime shipments. And it's turned in two straight profitable quarters which Xbox 1 never did. Xbox 1 only had one it's whole life! With no end in sight, I cant see 360 turning unprofitable anytime soon.

PS3 will never catch 360 in USA, it's just impossible. It would have to outsell by 200k for 29 months just to tie!

PS3 outsold 360 in USA one month, which prompted millions of microsoft is doomed posts. 360 beat the PS3 14 months in a row before that. Gee, double standard much? Ps3 often sold 60-80k in that time. Can you IMAGINE if 360 ever sold that low an amount? Can you even IMAGINE what people would say about 360? Yet PS3 sold that pitiful amount many times and it was fine. Double standard? 360 sells 230k and 100 million playstation fanboys vaporize the internet saying it's doomed! PS3 couldn't even sell on tenth of that amount for twenty months in a row!

The fact is PS3 is underperforming, losing huge amounts of money, and personally I think Sony will make a Wii style console by next generation.

Diomedes1976 said:
Strategyking92 said:
well, microsoft understands we shouldn't be FORCED to buy a new format.

I've been burned my sony's Very VERY VERY breakable umd discs, sony should make all games dl-able since their discs don't play if the case is f***ed up.

Also, toshiba isn't part of microsoft..... So the thread has failed and is trollsome.

WRONG .In fact MS want to make its propietary software embedded in the hardware you buy so you are forced to pay for it even if you would like another option . As for the thread ,its clear MS isnt dying right now .....but the article is very good nonetheless .

Actually Microsoft profits are rising vastly.

Europe just is becoming a less important market. 

Around the Network
KruzeS said:
Slimebeast said:

Hey you! Don't you associate that guy with Portugal now! 

Hahaha!

Bodhesatva said:

Vista isn't a failure by economic standards. By image standards? Maybe, but that's all in the ether anyway. I personally have negative feelings about Vista but there is no real hard evidence to suggest it's a failure in business terms.

Most of what he's saying isn't refutable because it's vague. Take this, for example. "Microsoft’s monopoly power is dissolving, and its ability to create anti-competitive partnerships and exclusive alliances is also falling apart." Geez, I guess that might be true, but what proof do we have? I can give some evidence to the contrary: Microsoft profits are up up up, and they're making more money now than ever before.

He also had to correct himself about the Xbox/Xbox360 comparison, and used shipment data, not sold data, to compare the 360's second to its first year (the 360 actually seems to have sold more consoles to consumers, but shipped less because they stuffed the channel the Christmas prior). So when he does get specific, he's often explicitly wrong or at least misleading.

But there is one, big, major error here that I can point to specifically and say this is wrong: "The reality is that Microsoft is forced to falsify reports and color numbers because reality doesn’t support the illusion of Microsoft’s unquestionable market power."

Let me make this clear -- falsifying financial reports is a serious charge and has legal consequences for a publicly traded company. There is no indication that Microsoft has done any such thing, and he provides no evidence whatsoever. As for "coloring the numbers?" That's back to vagueries. Every company "colors their numbers." Every.single.one. It's like saying "Microsoft tries to beat out it's competition, even if they don't have a superior product."

Thanks for the digest.
This and the fact that the author isn't even able to spell the name of the product he is writing about make me wonder if it's worth reading the article at all, even though I'm interested in this topic.

The reason sony won= ps3.

even though it didn't have a good selection of games, people still bought it for that, and they picked up some movies to because of the shortage of games.
Compare numbers of standalone blu-ray players and ps3's.... No1 was interested in the format, but they bought blu-ray movies cause they could.

I still don't think people are interested in hi-def movies yet. it's only sony ps3 owners.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

this guy must be japanese or mexican, no? lol jks

Pure Nonsense...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder