By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - .P Harrison: Third parties can only reach 40% of Wii owners.

Bodhesatva said:
krik said:
Phil was being optimistic since more than 50% of Wii's are wiisports machines collecting dust.

Btw: I played SSBB at GDC and it looks pretty damn good but it still plays like my N64 SSB. But I had the same feeling with mario galaxy. For me there wasn't enough innovation to make Galaxy better than Mario 64 though...

Just out of curiosity, how do you reconcile this notion with the fact that the Wii has a higher attach rate in both of the regions where we get solid software tracking, Japan and the US? In both territories, not only does the Wii have more hardware sold by large amounts (which actually tends to depress attach rates, historically speaking) but also has more software sold per system. In Japan, it's by a huge amount -- nearly 3.0 games to 2.0 games, or 50 percent higher for the Wii (sources: NPD, Media Create).

This is an honest question. If Wii's are all sitting idly unplayed, why are people buying games for the system at higher rates than the PS3, on average? Because that seems illlogical.

I diagree.  His pitch was basically "our games are worse, therefore you will have less compeition!"

Maybe it's me... but i'm not going to do buisness with the guy who is activly saying "Hey we suck!" 

Around the Network

This was clearly intended as an attack against the Wii, but (in my opinion) it comes across more as an insult to third party publishers. Essentially, the comment could be interpreted as "You third party developers produce such low quality formulaic games that you will never be able to compete against Nintendo" ...

Nintendo has been far more successful than third party publishers on the Wii, but Nintendo was also the only publisher who used their best developers to produce high quality exclusive games for the Wii. I think only a fool would argue that an exclusive Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil or any well known high quality franchise would sell poorly on the Wii (or any platform); I'm not (necessarily) saying that these games will be ensured the level of success that they achieved on the PS2, but I do believe they would see similar sales to what they will achieve on the PS3 or XBox 360 (and similar sales to the best Nintendo games).

fkusumot said:

I like this quote from Phil Harrison concerning the Wii:

Phil Harrison: “You have to give that credit. It’s frustrating for me to experience, because I’ve been saying for years that playing games together is the future, but the guys in Japan [Sony] said that people just didn’t play that way. The Wii ads show the perspective from the television – of people on the sofa having fun together – which is very clever, so how pissed off am I?

I like this quote from Phil Harrison concerning thr DS :

Phil Harrison:"The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance. Those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth. With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a            feature differentiation with the touch screen. But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a       gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."

I mean it's damn funny, God bless you Phil.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Kasz216 said:
Munkeh111 said:
To be fair to him, out of the top ten wii games, 8 are 1st party, and out of the top ten PS3 games, only 4 are 1st party (inc Ratchet)

{this is completely ignoring the fact that the top ten wii games have sold a lot more than PS3 games, and there are probably more 3rd party wii million sellers than PS3 million seller}

Maybe. PS3 might of reached Wii though with it's large number of Sports games and Racers that the wii didn't get iterations of, or did yet the versions were crappy/late.  Seems like Europe will get nearly any racing game like 70-80% to 1 Mil.  That and the two soccer games probably put it on par with the wii. 

Though that seems irrelevant to most game development as sports games and racing games are basically a different market from most games. Sports games have their own casual fanbase that gets overlooked... I guess because of Madden Nation on ESPN? But i mean there are groups of gamers and sports fans who buy 360's for nothing but Madden machines. Which i'm guessing is dragging down their attach rate a bit.

Next time I buy sports games i'm going for a PS3/PS2 version. Motion controls just don't interest me in team sports games... aside from foul shot minigame... which would be infinitly better then the "Press the both control sticks at the same time" minigame.

Well, Í never liked Tennis games, but I'm absolutely going to buy Top Spin for Wii. And Pro Evo Wii is supposed to be the most hardcore football game ever. So I think sports games can have a great furure on Wii. But you're right about the racers. They're more graphic driven, so will never be a core genre for Wii.

@HappySqurriel: Nintendo has better sales then everyone, so it'd be hard for any company to equal the high sales that Nintendo is so use to. That being said, as a third party your games are going to sell no matter what system they are on as long as the game is hyped and you've made a decent product. There have been no unexpected bombs on the Wii. We all knew what would sell and what wouldn't.

Zack and Wiki for instance (which always gets mentioned) has met Capcom's expectations already.

We love golf may also get brought up, it was competing against HSG which as we've all seen has gone down quite a bit in sales. If the premier golf title isn't selling as well as it use to, why would you expect an unknown golf game in a flooded market of golf games to sell?

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network

Their old excuses "The Wii is only a fad!", "Wii owners aren't buying games!", and "Absolutely anyone on the planet cares about HD!" are becoming more and more obviously false by the day, so they have to find new ones.

"Wii owners only buy Nintendo games!" is pretty ridiculous and incredibly fallacious, but still somewhat beliveable to the uneducated listener, so expect to hear it a lot from Sony's and MS's PR people in the near future.

Can't you see how Harrison is saying how good third-party Wii titles sell? If every thrid-party Wii game has an attach rate of 40%, that's HUGE!

Another factor to consider ... Nintendo generally has more and better first-party titles than Sony or Microsoft.

So Phil is speaking the truth -- it's better for third-parties here because we aren't as strong in game development.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:
Another factor to consider ... Nintendo generally has more and better first-party titles than Sony or Microsoft.

So Phil is speaking the truth -- it's better for third-parties here because we aren't as strong in game development.

Mike from Morgantown

Is that really so though?  Having more good games means you are more interested in playing good games and more people are going to be gaming... and Nintendo's games while high quality don't cover every genre.  

celine said:

I like this quote from Phil Harrison concerning thr DS :

Phil Harrison:"The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance. Those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth. With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen. But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."

I mean it's damn funny, God bless you Phil.

I thought he said something similar about the Wii, or am I just remembering this quote?