By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - .P Harrison: Third parties can only reach 40% of Wii owners.

Smash_Brother said:
People do realize that the average PS2 game only reached 2% of its install base, right?

Exactly, that's the best way to explain it: nearly no game will interest more than 40% of any userbase... if that was the case, many PS2 titles would have sold 40 million, and we all know how far it is from reality...

SMG has now sold nearly 6 millions, that's a little more than 25% of the Wii's userbase for the best Wii game yet...

And what does Harrison know about us?

Maybe many "casuals" will buy only two or three games a year, and chances are most of these will be Nintendo made... but people like me, and millions of other enthousiasts, buying one game each month? I'll buy the best games, Nintendo made or not, i don't care...

If the Wii's userbase will soon be 40-50 million, then most of the best efforts will find their audience, and Sony's so scared they have to do that ridiculous PR to "make a point"... you fail, Mr Harrison... once again...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

Around the Network

To be fair to him, out of the top ten wii games, 8 are 1st party, and out of the top ten PS3 games, only 4 are 1st party (inc Ratchet)

{this is completely ignoring the fact that the top ten wii games have sold a lot more than PS3 games, and there are probably more 3rd party wii million sellers than PS3 million seller}

Bodhesatva said:

Regardless, this isn't a bad statement, guys. As far as I can tell, it isn't even PR: it's a direct statement from a Sony Exec to an Exec at a major third party.

Sony Exec tries to convince third parties that development on rival platforms may not return investments and/or produce worthy profit margins and got shot down faster than the Hindenburg.. Shocking I say!

I FYP for you...np thank me later =)~

PS - Too soon?

@Smash_Brother,

Isn't 2% like an average of 2.5m units sold per game?  2% seems high to me but I could be wrong...... 

To Each Man, Responsibility
naznatips said:
Bodhesatva said:

Regardless, this isn't a bad statement, guys. As far as I can tell, it isn't even PR: it's a direct statement from a Sony Exec to an Exec at a major third party.

Sony Exec tries to convince third parties that development on rival platforms may not return investments and/or produce worthy profit margins? Shocking I say!

The fact that the statement was made as a business move hardly disqualifies it as being a bad statemtent. If he said Shigeru Miyamoto was the devil to the EA exec right after that would that be a good statement, just because it was said under a business circumstance? I'm not saying the statement is unexpected. Just saying that it's still subject to criticism.

It's not bad, it's just incorrect. It is in fact a very good statement, because good in this context is "something that convinces third parties to develop for his platform." In said discussion, good does not mean "the truth."

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

As there never has been a non-pack-in at 50 % or higher, I would say 40% of the biggest userbase is very good.

If Wii > Ps2, you only need a 10 % rate to beat most on 360 and Ps3. The best Ps2 had was 12.5%

I guess NO WII GAME will sell more than 20 % in the long run. SMG will end up at around 10%.

"Trust me... if we were 12 year olds trying out Mario galaxy for the first time we wouldnt give mario 64 a chance."

Change it to 14 year olds, and I'll agree.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

I like this quote from Phil Harrison concerning the Wii:

Phil Harrison: “You have to give that credit. It’s frustrating for me to experience, because I’ve been saying for years that playing games together is the future, but the guys in Japan [Sony] said that people just didn’t play that way. The Wii ads show the perspective from the television – of people on the sofa having fun together – which is very clever, so how pissed off am I?

That really is an amazing quote. How about this one, from Dave Perry, he of "Wii will die, gamers want prettier games" and "People will drop their Wii-motes for Halo 3?"

David Perry: “I think if you ask people what the next generation console is, they’ll say it’s Wii! While I respect and admire what Nintendo have done, none of the games that I personally want to play are on Wii. They are on the other consoles.”

Kind of a satisfying comment for me, really. He's now explicitly admitted that his opinions are divergent from most people, and implicitly admitted that his views do not necessarily reflect reality at large, but rather what he personally hopes will happen. 

Also, I've come to love the "I respect what Nintendo has done, but personally..." remarks made by some industry people.  The compliments given are ripped out so painfully, so begrudgingly, so clearly because slamming the Wii now looks idiotic in the face of its overwhelming popular reception -- and these compliments are immediately followed by a "it's not for me" or "I don't think it's good for gamers" because no Wii compliment is complete without some stab to balance it, no matter how small.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

Also, I've come to love the "I respect what Nintendo has done, but personally..." remarks made by some industry people. The compliments given are ripped out so painfully, so begrudgingly, so clearly because slamming the Wii now looks idiotic in the face of its overwhelming popular reception -- and these compliments are immediately followed by a "it's not for me" or "I don't think it's good for gamers" because no Wii compliment is complete without some stab to balance it, no matter how small.

That should become part of the Wii Bingo Board. It's like you can almost taste the bitter tears.

Yeah, I do think the begrudging acceptance of the fact that Nintendo is doing things right that they did wrong is one of the most entertaining things in the industry right now. It's also hilariously true that none of these former Wii assailants can ever praise it without a backhand insult tagged on the end. If they were forum posters they would have been banned for flamebait.

Munkeh111 said:
To be fair to him, out of the top ten wii games, 8 are 1st party, and out of the top ten PS3 games, only 4 are 1st party (inc Ratchet)

{this is completely ignoring the fact that the top ten wii games have sold a lot more than PS3 games, and there are probably more 3rd party wii million sellers than PS3 million seller}

Maybe. PS3 might of reached Wii though with it's large number of Sports games and Racers that the wii didn't get iterations of, or did yet the versions were crappy/late.  Seems like Europe will get nearly any racing game like 70-80% to 1 Mil.  That and the two soccer games probably put it on par with the wii. 

Though that seems irrelevant to most game development as sports games and racing games are basically a different market from most games. Sports games have their own casual fanbase that gets overlooked... I guess because of Madden Nation on ESPN? But i mean there are groups of gamers and sports fans who buy 360's for nothing but Madden machines. Which i'm guessing is dragging down their attach rate a bit.

Next time I buy sports games i'm going for a PS3/PS2 version. Motion controls just don't interest me in team sports games... aside from foul shot minigame... which would be infinitly better then the "Press the both control sticks at the same time" minigame.