By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - .P Harrison: Third parties can only reach 40% of Wii owners.

Stever89 said:

So wait... what are we arguing about then... I think you probably should have worded your statements a little better, because I thought we were going into another "TP can't sell games on the Wii" and then when they do it's "Man those games suck (Carnival Games) or have Mario in it, so TP can't really sell anything on the Wii."

But as long as we all agree that most 3rd party games suck and they sell accordingly, and that 3rd parties need to put more quality titles on the Wii, and then they'll start selling more software, then it seems we've taken half a thread page to say the same thing from two different sides?

aye! 

Im a PS3 supporter btw so trust me im not bashing on Ninny  :P

Around the Network

So did you guys hear what Phil Harrison said? Something about only 40% of the Wii userbase being available for 3rd parties? Since we were sorta off topic for a while there...

antfromtashkent said:
Stever89 said:
antfromtashkent said:
Stever89 said:
Total TP Wii sales (6 million sellers): Nearly 10 million
Total TP PS3 sales (5 million sellers): 8 million

Average: 1.6 million Wii
1.6 million PS3

Tie. Hmm. The only difference would be it takes a lot less sales to make money. So Wii wins.

lol but if u consider the user base it shouldnt be a tie should it?

Not when you consider that the Wii hardly has any games worth buying that are TP. Once the end of this year comes around I think it'll be a different picture.

once again my point is proven....

You are funny, you seems to not know your own original point

Your point ( copy&paste): 

"THE THIRD PARTY GAMES ON THE WII DO NOT SELL AS WELL AS THEY DO ON OTHER CONSOLES (THIS IS THE END OF MY POINT)"

Your point imply that is the Wii, like platform, that cause a third-party game to not "sell well" ( generalisation ). If that third-party game ( example: Smarty Panty ) will release on PS3 or 360 it will automatically sell better.

What many here says is that it's third-party own fault for not capitalize on Wii fast growing market. Third-arty were simply caught with their pants down by Wii success and now they try to catch the Wii train. 

Super Mario Galaxy sold over 5 million in a couple of months not because it was made by Nintendo but because it was one of few high quality ( and advertaisment ) game in Wii library.

If a CoD4 good/great version was released on Wii with advertaisment and it will bomb while both PS3 and 360 version is million seller than you can says that Wii , like platform, has a problem with third-party.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

antfromtashkent said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
His point is "ignore all arguments that dissagree with me and use what few corroborate my sentiments as proof that my opinion is more valid than yours"

as I've said before

When Wii gets games like Call of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed and Devil May Cry 4 and they still tie with the Ps3, then you can cry foul on the Wii. Until then, keep on dreaming.

NO! my point is that Wii dosent get the TP support it should how can u not see that? 

You should have said so in the first place. I agree. Reason for this arguing in the first place was your comment when it was completely, from what you were meaning, different in context with this topic.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

celine said:
antfromtashkent said:
Stever89 said:
antfromtashkent said:
Stever89 said:
Total TP Wii sales (6 million sellers): Nearly 10 million
Total TP PS3 sales (5 million sellers): 8 million

Average: 1.6 million Wii
1.6 million PS3

Tie. Hmm. The only difference would be it takes a lot less sales to make money. So Wii wins.

lol but if u consider the user base it shouldnt be a tie should it?

Not when you consider that the Wii hardly has any games worth buying that are TP. Once the end of this year comes around I think it'll be a different picture.

once again my point is proven....

You are funny, you seems to not know your own original point

Your point ( copy&paste): 

"THE THIRD PARTY GAMES ON THE WII DO NOT SELL AS WELL AS THEY DO ON OTHER CONSOLES (THIS IS THE END OF MY POINT)"

Your point imply that is the Wii, like platform, that cause a third-party game to not "sell well" ( generalisation ). If that third-party game ( example: Smarty Panty ) will release on PS3 or 360 it will automatically sell better.

What many here says is that it's third-party own fault for not capitalize on Wii fast growing market. Third-arty were simply caught with their pants down by Wii success and now they try to catch the Wii train. 

Super Mario Galaxy sold over 5 million in a couple of months not because it was made by Nintendo but because it was one of few high quality ( and advertaisment ) game in Wii library.

If a CoD4 good/great version was released on Wii with advertaisment and it will bomb while both PS3 and 360 version is million seller than you can says that Wii , like platform, has a problem with third-party.

ok im going to put this to rest now and revise my point and put it all together, r u ready? here it goes

I think that the lack of quality of TP games for the Wii is a problem that needs to be addressed. The port of RE4 was a try to cash in on an already sussessfull game that just tells me that TP dont even wanna try. The quality of the TP games on the Wii is not on par with the quality of the TP games on the PS3/360, and that is the fault of the TP developers, hence the games not selling well. And by all means im NOT saying that all games on the Wii suck. Im saying that most TP games on the Wii can only be called shovelware.

How is that?

Around the Network
antfromtashkent said:

ok im going to put this to rest now and revise my point and put it all together, r u ready? here it goes

I think that the lack of quality of TP games for the Wii is a problem that needs to be addressed. The port of RE4 was a try to cash in on an already sussessfull game that just tells me that TP dont even wanna try. The quality of the TP games on the Wii is not on par with the quality of the TP games on the PS3/360, and that is the fault of the TP developers, hence the games not selling well. And by all means im NOT saying that all games on the Wii suck. Im saying that most TP games on the Wii can only be called shovelware.

How is that?

Fair enough. I disagree with some of your points but I realize it's something reasonable people can disagree on. I hope that the 3rd party developers address this problem, for their own sake.

and on the topic: "Your >addressable marketi think he means that only 40% of wii owners will even know a new game is coming out the people who buy is even less... so hes implying that Wii has the same >addressable market

fkusumot said:
antfromtashkent said:

How is that?

Fair enough. I disagree with some of your points but I realize it's something reasonable people can disagree on. I hope that the 3rd party developers address this problem, for their own sake.

Agree.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

antfromtashkent said:
and on the topic: "Your >addressable market< is only 40% of the installed base."
i think he means that only 40% of wii owners will even know a new game is coming out the people who buy is even less... so hes implying that Wii has the same >addressable market< as the ps3. hentse the 40%

You're (or he's) implying that 100% of the PS3 userbase knows when any game is released, though not even 50% of the PS2 userbase knew of such games as FFX, GT4, KH, GTA-SA, MGS3, DQVIII. So I'd say that the "usable or whatever you want to call it" userbase of the PS3 is probably close to 50-75% (higher than the PS2 because of more "hardcore" players, the early adopters), so the Wii still wins. Oh burn.

antfromtashkent said:
and on the topic: "Your >addressable market< is only 40% of the installed base."
i think he means that only 40% of wii owners will even know a new game is coming out the people who buy is even less... so hes implying that Wii has the same >addressable market< as the ps3. hentse the 40%

If that's what he really, truly, absolutely, positively means and he's not just spinning then he's clearly delusional.