By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - .P Harrison: Third parties can only reach 40% of Wii owners.

Stever89 said:
antfromtashkent said:
and on the topic: "Your >addressable market< is only 40% of the installed base."
i think he means that only 40% of wii owners will even know a new game is coming out the people who buy is even less... so hes implying that Wii has the same >addressable market< as the ps3. hentse the 40%

You're (or he's) implying that 100% of the PS3 userbase knows when any game is released, though not even 50% of the PS2 userbase knew of such games as FFX, GT4, KH, GTA-SA, MGS3, DQVIII. So I'd say that the "usable or whatever you want to call it" userbase of the PS3 is probably close to 50-75% (higher than the PS2 because of more "hardcore" players, the early adopters), so the Wii still wins. Oh burn.

lol no im having trouble explaining my self today.

He is saying that 60% of wiis right now r collecting dust. by " addressible market" he means that 40% of wiis r still in use hense the tru user base of the wii wich is equal to the PS3. so not all of the 40% will buy every game that comes out, the same with the PS3. 

i think i worded the corectly

Around the Network
antfromtashkent said:
and on the topic: "Your >addressable marketi think he means that only 40% of wii owners will even know a new game is coming out the people who buy is even less... so hes implying that Wii has the same >addressable market

Actually he's saying that Nintendo takes the 60% share. Which would mean, that 60% of Wiis userbase is die-hard hardcore Nintendo fans. I do see it possible, but even die-hard Nintendo fans buy 3rd party games if they are good. Or maybe then again, he's saying that 60% of Wii owners are the extreme hardcore crowd, which have insane quality requirements that only Nintendo can match (yes, he actually stated Nintendos games being better than anyone elses). So the 60% group you implied at, would be the group, who doesn't care who publishes the game and doesn't understand the difference between SMG and GT Pro Series, outside that the other is a driving game, and i like driving.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
antfromtashkent said:
and on the topic: "Your >addressable market< is only 40% of the installed base."
i think he means that only 40% of wii owners will even know a new game is coming out the people who buy is even less... so hes implying that Wii has the same >addressable market< as the ps3. hentse the 40%

Actually he's saying that Nintendo takes the 60% share. Which would mean, that 60% of Wiis userbase is die-hard hardcore Nintendo fans. I do see it possible, but even die-hard Nintendo fans buy 3rd party games if they are good. Or maybe then again, he's saying that 60% of Wii owners are the extreme hardcore crowd, which have insane quality requirements that only Nintendo can match (yes, he actually stated Nintendos games being better than anyone elses). So the 60% group you implied at, would be the group, who doesn't care who publishes the game and doesn't understand the difference between SMG and GT Pro Series, outside that the other is a driving game, and i like driving.

look at my next post i think i worded it better

Edit: not better than u, better than my original post

antfromtashkent said:

He is saying that 60% of wiis right now r collecting dust. by " addressible market" he means that 40% of wiis r still in use hense the tru user base of the wii wich is equal to the PS3. so not all of the 40% will buy every game that comes out, the same with the PS3.

If I'm understanding you correctly then that would be a really dumb argument. That would mean that SMG has almost a 100% attach rate.

You seem to be a reasonable person so I'll take it on good faith that you're not making joke posts.

fkusumot said:
antfromtashkent said:

If I'm understanding you correctly then that would be a really dumb argument. That would mean that SMG has almost a 100% attach rate.

You seem to be a reasonable person so I'll take it on good faith that you're not making joke posts.

im not lol. HE SAID IT not me! 

Around the Network

Basically, the guy said something that's not true, no matter how you spin it. There's no way that 60% of Wiis are collecting dust, and just because Nintendo makes the best games, doesn't mean anything, simply because by years end there's going to be enough users to go around.

And he knows that, and fears it. Fear the power of the CELL... wait. I mean. Fear the power of... motion? It's like 4D gaming in a way.

Stever89 said:
Basically, the guy said something that's not true, no matter how you spin it. There's no way that 60% of Wiis are collecting dust, and just because Nintendo makes the best games, doesn't mean anything, simply because by years end there's going to be enough users to go around.

And he knows that, and fears it. Fear the power of the CELL... wait. I mean. Fear the power of... motion? It's like 4D gaming in a way.

i m just really sick of Sony's people spuing out ridiculous coments without thinking and then come under fire for it. they need to pass out some muzles at the anual sony picknick.

PS: still 100% sony suporter

Stever89 said:

So you all really think taht every person that bought a Wii is actively looking for a new game to play? Its a casual console, I dont even know if you can call it a gaming console. Nintendo is winning, they sell lots of consoles and lots of their own games.

But it was classic not gamers buying Wii's. They arent like many gamers who even pay attention to releases. They know who Mario is, so they buy Mario games. But its not quality that drives them, so unless TP adds something casuals find familiar they wont buy the games.

Its business men, housewives, children, and girls who otherwise would never even own a next-gen console until the last few years of a cycle buying a Wii, because its fun. But if you arent a household name like Mario or Sonic, or unless you have something they can relate to they aren't going to bite. Its a quick 35-45 min spin a day maybe where you can laugh and compete with your family and friends. Much like board games. Its family fun, but if you a classic developer, unless you have a really cool way to exploit the Wii controls while adding a household activity or name they can relate to your not selling.

Jandre002 said:
Stever89 said:

So you all really think taht every person that bought a Wii is actively looking for a new game to play? Its a casual console, I dont even know if you can call it a gaming console. Nintendo is winning, they sell lots of consoles and lots of their own games.

But it was classic not gamers buying Wii's. They arent like many gamers who even pay attention to releases. They know who Mario is, so they buy Mario games. But its not quality that drives them, so unless TP adds something casuals find familiar they wont buy the games.

Its business men, housewives, children, and girls who otherwise would never even own a next-gen console until the last few years of a cycle buying a Wii, because its fun. But if you arent a household name like Mario or Sonic, or unless you have something they can relate to they aren't going to bite. Its a quick 35-45 min spin a day maybe where you can laugh and compete with your family and friends. Much like board games. Its family fun, but if you a classic developer, unless you have a really cool way to exploit the Wii controls while adding a household activity or name they can relate to your not selling.

Because every PS2 gamer was always actively looking for a game? Or that every single PS3 and 360 owner are always actively looking for a game? Let's not forget why the PS2 dominated so much, those people who only played 35-45 min spins a day, whether they were laughing with family or not. Many PS2 owners probably only owned 3 or 4 games. But the fact that the PS2 had so many owners, it added up.

The same goes with the Wii. And again, this comes to, are there any non-Nintendo games that are worth buying? Not really. Some, and they have sold well. And also, there's a few Nintendo games that sell well that aren't Mario or Sonic, like Zelda, Meoid, WarioWare, Brain Training. And then there's non-Nintendo games that don't have Mario or Sonic: Red Steel, Rayman Raving Rabbids, RE4, and many others that haven't passed the million mark (or were never destined to, like NMH and Zack and Wiki).

Not that I don't think it's a stupid quote, but a lot of you are misinerpreting it:
He is NOT saying that Wii third party games sell to 40% of the Wii's user base.
He is saying that only 40% of the Wii's user base would even consider buying 3rd party games.
Making the actual sales correspondingly lower.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.