By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Q4 Investor's Meeting - Live

Rafux said:
I said some time ago new console in 2015 and people called me crazy

Still crazy. What could they possibly prepare that quickly?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Rafux said:

Nothing really. Wii U might be their last home console, so there will be no replacement, they will simply discontinue the console and that's it.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
Mr Khan said:
Rafux said:

Nothing really. Wii U might be their last home console, so there will be no replacement, they will simply discontinue the console and that's it.

I actually agree with this, if only because it seems like they can't really find a space in the home console market and Japan is leaning away from it anyway, and more importantly, the hardware is there such that you can make "good enough" games on the handhelds now. But i still think 2015 is too early for their hybrid 3DS successor that can also play Wii U games.

Plus they're going to need to do SOMETHING that can connect to a TV to carry on their local multiplayer heavy-hitters of Smash and Mario Kart. But a handheld could do that too with a small settop dongle.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Wii u is not going to be discontinued sheesh give it up you guys it will sell ok its biggest games haven't even released why does everyone say oh no doom Nintendo is not dumb they're not going to screw people over a new hybrid will be out end of 2016 or beginning of 2017 enough with the discontinued crap its not gonna happen

It's incredible how a company like Nintendo, which never posted losses during its existence, it's struggling so hard after an overwhelming dominance during the DS-Wii years.

Around the Network
KoopaKid said:
Wii u is not going to be discontinued sheesh give it up you guys it will sell ok its biggest games haven't even released why does everyone say oh no doom Nintendo is not dumb they're not going to screw people over a new hybrid will be out end of 2016 or beginning of 2017 enough with the discontinued crap its not gonna happen

The market will determine when the wii u gets discontinued and right now being lower than the gamecube... it's looking likely that it will be discountinued sooner than later.

trestres said:
Mr Khan said:
Rafux said:

Virtual reality crap, hybrid something console, some casual familiy friendly console with a pick and play controller (my biggest best since it worked before). They'll conjure something up.

Pavolink said:
Scizor_99 said:
Pavolink said:
Vinniegambini said:
Nintendo Q4 Investor Presentation + Q&A

05/07/14 / 09:00 PM EDT

So, 08:00 PM EST?

That said, the hardware rumor for this E3 doesn't sounds as fake after today. They need a new hadheld for 2015 and a new console for 2016.

KIlling the 3DS as early as 2015 makes little sense. It could piss off fans (which is the worst thing they could do right now), dramatically increase R&D costs for this FY, and potentially eliminate their only reliable source of profit.

KIlling the Wii U as early as 2016 might seem like the logical move to avoid incurring further losses on the flagging hardware, but the prospective console could have even worse fortunes. It would have to compete against two highly popular consoles in their peaks; PS4 and Xbox One gamers won`t jump to buy a new Nintendo console consideing their last console and going to be too busy anyway, while Nintendo fans are going to be hesitant after a console that lasted only four years and wasn`t well supported. 

Pissing fans it's the last thing they should worry about now. R&D costs are already high (270m this quarter) and it's logical that's because new hardware must be ready.

And again with the Wii U, they had an 100m Wii userbase and now they are aiming at a 10m base by March 2015. 15m lifetime maybe. Anyone would risk those 15M in favor of the other 85m.

They are not selling, and keeping the low sales in favor of a conservative approach will harm them more than releasing new hardware. It's time for new and risky decisions.

If you piss off your fans, they won`t buy and hype your next product, and who then do you have to turn to Casuals? They`ve left for the most part. Sony or MS fans? They won`t trust NIntendo. As Burek stated, R&D could be largely attributed to QoL, which would make sense given its reveal in the investor meeting earlier this year.

That 100M was achieved with a very different strategy which might not work again (at least in the console industry). Part of the mistake with the Wii U is thinking that the Wii made NIntendo fans when in reality it only made Wii fans. The remaaining 85M is either gone or on PS or Xbox, and as I mentioned, they will be tough to sell to.

I`m not opposed to risk taking at all, but rash moves could leave the company in a worse situation, with their role in the gaming industry and all of their franchises in jeopardy. I don`t want to see a situation where a new Zelda game on iOS is true possiblity, or one where their franchises are auctioned off to the highest bidder (likely EA or Activision).

Max King of the Wild said:
KoopaKid said:

The market will determine when the wii u gets discontinued and right now being lower than the gamecube... it's looking likely that it will be discountinued sooner than later.

What he`s saying is you have to at least give the market a chance and not rush into a new product which could make the new opne an even bigger failure.

Scizor_99 said:

If you piss off your fans, they won`t buy and hype your next product, and who then do you have to turn to Casuals? They`ve left for the most part. Sony or MS fans? They won`t trust NIntendo. As Burek stated, R&D could be largely attributed to QoL, which would make sense given its reveal in the investor meeting earlier this year.

That 100M was achieved with a very different strategy which might not work again (at least in the console industry). Part of the mistake with the Wii U is thinking that the Wii made NIntendo fans when in reality it only made Wii fans. The remaaining 85M is either gone or on PS or Xbox, and as I mentioned, they will be tough to sell to.

I`m not opposed to risk taking at all, but rash moves could leave the company in a worse situation, with their role in the gaming industry and all of their franchises in jeopardy. I don`t want to see a situation where a new Zelda game on iOS is true possiblity, or one where their franchises are auctioned off to the highest bidder (likely EA or Activision).

And what fans do they have now? 6M? Those 6M that are not enough to post profits? That are not buying enough software? The few ones left to forecast only 3.6M for a full fiscal year?

If you hype enough they are going to buy or at least the majority but instead you have a lot to gain.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile