By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - LEAK (PR for QoL) - Nintendo OWL / Nintendo OwLife UPDATE (more info)

Leadified said:
I've completely lost track of what is going on in this thread, but I'll roll with it.

Just ignore everything since he who shall not be named and pretend the thread starts again here.

Around the Network

Basically, the QoL is a platform that 'leapfrogs' wearables by going one step beyond consumer electronics that you wear (the upcoming smartwatch revolution is what Nintendo is talking about 'leapfrogging') by embedding technology you live with and around into your life on all levels. It's really kind of clever and bold, but will it be enough?

Here's a quote from Iwata on the QoL platform:

"However, what is generally good for health requires some kind of effort to be made by the individual, and, as I am sure that many of you have experienced this, it is sometimes difficult to stay focused and engaged, and it is not uncommon to give up after a few days. This is where our strength as an entertainment company to keep our consumers engaged and entertained comes into play, assisted by the non-wearable feature, which is the biggest differentiator of this new business field, as well as user experiences that integrate into people’s daily lives, all of which help us overcome this difficulty. "

That, basically, explains the thought behind Nintendo OWL.

Reports indicate that Nintendo feel they got 'burned' by their failures to correctly introduce 3DS and particularly Wii U with software on the lines of 'Wii Sports,' which made the case for the Wii very strongly. Hence, they have put as much time and effort into the development of 'Nintendo OwLife' to make sure it poses as great a case for the Nintendo OWL system as they possibly can at launch. This, they feel, will give them the best chance at gaining marketshare in the sure-to-heat up Non-Wearables space.

Iwata claimed it is very important to set themselves up as being the originators and masters of this leapfrogging technology, so that they will have cachet in the matter that they can draw upon for future endeavors. This is why such emphasis is being put on the idea that they are 'leapfrogging' wearables, which are expected by many to be the 'next big thing.'

Expect to learn much more about this at the next investors meeting, just days away.

More excerpts:

Q: Why the name 'Nintendo OWL?'
A: Like the proverbial namesake, the OWL is always watching, always alert, and very, very wise! We wanted to create a feeling of being 'mentored.' Also, like 'Wii,' 'OWL' is a term that is easy to say around the world.

celador said:
Why do people need a device to tell them how to be healthy, it isn't rocket science.

Tell that to the hundreds of millions of people who own smart-watches and podometers.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Around the Network
padib said:
VitroBahllee said:
More excerpts:

Q: Why the name 'Nintendo OWL?'
A: Like the proverbial name sake, the OWL is always watching, always alert, and very, very wise! We wanted to create a feeling of being 'mentored.' Also, like 'Wii,' 'OWL' is a term that is easy to say around the world.

What is this Q&A, for what occasion, an Iwata Asks?

Where are your sources? Seriously, as TC you should own up and stop just posting junk. If you offer a source, we can all actually pay attention. In the meantime it's all just spam.

And place the source link in OP.

At this point, it seems as though VitroBahlee is conveying he has direct access to some privileged information and that the only other way to verify his claims is to offer his credentials -- which may cause some retaliation unto himself or someone else he knows in real life.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

I'm not responding to anyone directly, but I want to point out that 'OwLife' is like Wii Sports, in that it is one piece of software with multiple components.

Also, remember this on Wii? http://www.siliconera.com/2009/01/27/a-picture-points-to-nintendo-opening-a-photo-print-service-channel/

Nintendo has allowed people to order prints of things through the mail in the past.

It's legit, guys.  Just found some more info on it.

Apparently, the sensors that you place around your home look like the Gossip Stones from Zelda. 

They speak to you like Kaepora Gaebora and wake you up in the morning, forcing you to listen to the news and saving you precious time while you get ready for work/school.

Also, there's another game I found out about (no idea why it's not in the OP) that's based on Nintendogs, in which you put one of the sensors in your pet's doghouse and it teaches them tricks and obedience.

As for my source, well a little bird... errr... I mean OWL told me, but Amazon already has it for preorder.  It's already ranked higher on the Best Sellers list than Mario Kart 8 and PS4!  Sweet!

archbrix said:

It's legit, guys.  Just found some more info on it.

Apparently, the sensors that you place around your home look like the Gossip Stones from Zelda. 

They speak to you like Kaepora Gaebora and wake you up in the morning, forcing you to listen to the news and saving you precious time while you get ready for work/school.

Also, there's another game I found out about (no idea why it's not in the OP) that's based on Nintendogs, in which you put one of the sensors in your pet's doghouse and it teaches them tricks and obedience.

As for my source, well a little bird... errr... I mean OWL told me, but Amazon already has it for preorder.  It's already ranked higher on the Best Sellers list than Mario Kart 8 and PS4!  Sweet!

Haha. Funny but obviously just a pile of crud. But funny!

VitroBahllee said:
padib said:
VitroBahllee said:
Plus, reports are showing some weird form of Angry Birds will be a third-party launch title for Nintendo OWL, which isn't surprising since you can get Angry Birds air freshener. Be sort of interesting to see what kind of gameplay it has.

Angry brids, OWL, it all sounds phony and like easy fabulation.

Not 'Angry brids,' Angry Birds.

May I kindly remind you of the word desgined?