By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Menu Fact Sheet

Wii Menu

The Wiivideo game system has revolutionized how people play games. But more importantly, it has enticed new players into the world of video games by offering a variety of entertainment, information and communication channels that add value to the system and make it a device that the entire family can enjoy. The Wii Menu has easily integrated itself as part of people’s everyday lives.

Wii Shop Channel*: This Channel is the Wii console’s online storefront and download station, where visitors can redeem Wii Pointsto download games and new Channels, including:

WiiWare (launches May 12): WiiWare is a new game download service for consumers which offers fresh game play experiences and new opportunities for creators. Creative new games will be added regularly from developers big and small.

Virtual Consolegames: Nearly 200 classic video games originally released on NES®, Super NES®, N64®, Sega Genesis, TurboGrafx-16 and NEOGEO are now playable on Wii. (Classic Controller is required to play some Virtual Console games. Separate purchase required.).

Internet Channel*: This channel dramatically changes the relationship between a user’s home, the television and the Internet. People can surf the Internet right from the comfort of their couches. They can do quick research while watching a television program, make travel plans, watch online videos or shop. The Channel is compatible with Adobe Flash. The Internet Channel is available to be downloaded using Wii Points in the Wii Shop Channel.

Check Mii Out Channel*: This channel builds on the huge phenomenon of Wii owners creating fun Miicaricatures of themselves and their friends. The two main components of the channel include an area where users can post Miis they have created to let others vote on their artistic abilities, and a “contest” area where users compete to create the most accurate likeness of a person or theme suggested by Nintendo. The Check Mii Out Channel is available as a free download in the Wii Shop Channel.

Everybody Votes Channel*: This channel asks Wii users to cast their votes on a variety of topics. Three questions surveying either regional or global opinions will be open at any given time. Up to six people in one household can cast their votes and predict how the majority of people will vote. After the polls close, users can see results displayed graphically using Miis. Users can even submit a suggestion for a future poll question to Nintendo. The Everybody Votes Channel is available as a free download in the Wii Shop Channel.

Mii Channel: Fun caricatures created in this channel can be used as characters across a variety of Wii software. Caricatures can be stored in a user’s Wii Remoteand taken to a friend’s house to play on another Wii system. Each member of the family can have his or her Wii Remote personalized with up to 10 caricatures.

Forecast Channel*: Users who have connected their Wii system to the Internet can access free local weather forecasts just a few seconds after turning it on. The WiiConnect24service automatically updates local weather information, which is provided by Weathernews. Users can view forecasts for cities around the world on a 3-D globe.

News Channel*: Users can access breaking news from the Associated Press with the touch of a button. When connected to the Internet, the WiiConnect24 service automatically updates this free channel and organizes it in a variety of topical categories. Users can see where news is happening by viewing the location of news stories on a 3-D globe.

Photo Channel: This channel allows users to take digital pictures stored on an SD memory card and display them on their television screens. Users also can manipulate the photos in a variety of fun and creative ways, such as zooming or creating mosaics, puzzles or slide shows. They can draw, add stamps, and copy and paste. They also can change the “mood” of photos by brightening them, converting them to monochrome, inverting the color or changing them to stark black and white. It provides a fun and easy outlet for people to edit their digital pictures. Users also can send their pictures to other Wii systems by attaching a photo to the Wii Message Board.

Wii Fit Channel (available May 19): This channel appears on the Wii Menu when people first use Wii Fit, which combines fun and fitness. It’s an easy way for every member of the family to keep active and play together. In a first for a Wii game, owners of Wii Fit can access the channel to perform basic daily workouts and fitness checks, even if the Wii Fit game disc is not inserted.

Disc Channel: This channel allows users to play either Wii game discs or the entire library of Nintendo GameCubediscs.

Wii Message Board: Forget hand-scrawled notes tacked to the refrigerator door. Users can leave messages for other family members on a calendar-based message board. They also can use WiiConnect24 to send messages to people outside the home as well. The service also allows for incoming messages targeted at software, such as a new map or weapon for a game. Games can constantly be updated, thereby extending their playability.

* Internet connection is required

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Around the Network

The Wii fit channel sound pretty interesting to me.

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

yay a new channel on may 19
but when is the everybody nintendo channel coming?

^ YEAH I WANT IT!!!!! *WHINES*

I want the ENC Channel too!

Around the Network

There was something in the latest ONM magazine (in UK) about the ENC.
In a section calked "ask Nintendo" (they send questions to Nintendo Europe/UK I presume)
Someone asked when it was planned for release in UK and Nintendo answered "We've not announced any plans to release it in the UK or Europe at this time"

If I use my corporate spin talk translator I think that comes out as: "It will likely be released in the future but don't get your hopes up for anything sooner than 2009"

That's just Europe of course, and usually we get shafted with these things, so perhaps an Autumn release for you Americans?

Fall? That would be ridiculous! If we get it in the fall, then this means that Japan would have gotten it 10-13 months before us. That would be ridiculous. I predict summer.

I also want that TV program guide channel

ENC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TVGC

I like Bacon said:
Fall? That would be ridiculous! If we get it in the fall, then this means that Japan would have gotten it 10-13 months before us. That would be ridiculous. I predict summer.

Maybe, but here in Europe I doubt we will get it in 2008.