By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Star Wars Episode VII Cast Announced

I like Abrams. The few problems people seem to have with his Star Trek films, I would attribute at least in part to the screenplays.

Honestly, I think Abrams is a far more skilled director than George Lucas (Mr. Faster and More Intense) ever was, and these movies ought to be better than the prequels practically by default for George's lack of involvement.

Star Wars is something of a guilty pleasure for me. Even if the movie sucks, I know I'll enjoy it tremendously. So I'm not afraid to get excited for this one.

Around the Network

I didn't even hate the first Star Trek movie, thought it had potential but it was bogged down with unnecessary action scenes. Into Darkness just sucked though. It was trying so hard to be Wrath of Khan but it fell flat in every aspect. And EVERYBODY saw that twist coming.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

KylieDog said:
Nem said:

The Star Trek movies are awesome! Stop the QQ and enjoy them.

Honestly... theres no pleasing some Trekkies. Just the fact that Cumberbatch was in it, just makes it 10x better. Amazing actor.

A shining example of what is wrong with the movie.  Whitewashing, something Trek has gone to great lengths to eradicate both on and off screen and was held in high regard because of it.

There was a great message with the original Khan too, one that is completely lost in Into Darkness.

Eh? I can also say Next-generation has Patrick Stewart and the original has William Shatner and that makes them great. :P

Also, stop thinking this is a remake.

Have never even heard of most or all of these people...but maybe that's a good thing?

I don't know how to feel about this but I hope the cast delivers.

Abrams Star Trek Movies were some of the better star trek movies (Like my 3rd and 4th favorite imo),... But even the best Star Trek movies pale in comparison to the Original Series, DS9, or Next Generation. Star Trek is much better as a TV show than a movie in general.

And he didn't write those, (He did write a lot good episodes in Fringe, and Super 8, and early Lost which are all better than the Star Trek Movie). Even then the star trek movies were still much better movies than the prequals, and on par with RoTJ (Which I didn't really like aside from the actors) imo. But, nowhere near as good as Empire or the original. I also have always thought his style fits much better for a Star Wars type film compared to Star Trek.

Around the Network

shikamaru317 said:

I actually think that Lucas is a good director, it's just that he's not a very good writer, he should never have written the prequel trilogy mostly by himself. The fact that the Clone Wars tv show has better writing than the prequel trilogy says alot about his writing skills. He is especially weak when it comes to writing romance, which is why the Anakin/Padme romance scenes are so terrible in the prequel trilogy.

Lucas is (or was) an alright director. I like American Grafitti. The original trilogy didn't have such a great romantic subplot, either. Take, for example, the scene on the Falcon after the narrow escape from the Death Star in Episode 4. It's a painfully slow, awkward moment. It's probably only a few minutes long, yet it feels downright tedious to watch. The scene in the Hoth base after Luke recovers is no better (even ignoring the accidental My Twin Sister Can't Be This Royal incident). These aren't only the fault of the writing: I think Lucas has no clue how to direct the actors during these quieter, more personal scenes.

Thankfully, whenever the screenplay wasn't dwelling too strongly on the romantic subplot, Ford and Fischer did a good job building their characters' chemistry. One of the reasons the prequels were such a catastrophe is because they were giving far more focus to the romantic relationship. I don't even necessarily think the relationship was better-written in the originals, it was just developed a lot more subtly.

the_dengle said:

shikamaru317 said:

I actually think that Lucas is a good director, it's just that he's not a very good writer, he should never have written the prequel trilogy mostly by himself. The fact that the Clone Wars tv show has better writing than the prequel trilogy says alot about his writing skills. He is especially weak when it comes to writing romance, which is why the Anakin/Padme romance scenes are so terrible in the prequel trilogy.

Lucas is (or was) an alright director. I like American Grafitti. The original trilogy didn't have such a great romantic subplot, either. Take, for example, the scene on the Falcon after the narrow escape from the Death Star in Episode 4. It's a painfully slow, awkward moment. It's probably only a few minutes long, yet it feels downright tedious to watch. The scene in the Hoth base after Luke recovers is no better (even ignoring the accidental My Twin Sister Can't Be This Royal incident). These aren't only the fault of the writing: I think Lucas has no clue how to direct the actors during these quieter, more personal scenes.

Thankfully, whenever the screenplay wasn't dwelling too strongly on the romantic subplot, Ford and Fischer did a good job building their characters' chemistry. One of the reasons the prequels were such a catastrophe is because they were giving far more focus to the romantic relationship. I don't even necessarily think the relationship was better-written in the originals, it was just developed a lot more subtly.

Also, the actors changed a lot of the lines. IDK if they had that in the prequals, in the prequals lucas was followed by yes men. In the original trilogy everyone was giving him a hard time (Which was good since it made the cheesy scenes less cheesy imo).