By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No E3 Conference for Nintendo this year - Mistake or not?

Should there be a Nintendo E3 conference?

Yes, absolutely, crazy for not bothering! 354 50.79%

No, they don't need one and the ND suffices 162 23.24%

I'll wait to see how it all goes 178 25.54%

Total:694
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
MDMAlliance said:
Why is everyone assuming that the reason the Wii U isn't doing well is because they didn't go to e3? There's no proof of that. Like last year, they are making an appearance so they ARE going to have coverage there.

I would like someone to prove to me that e3 is why the Wii U is doing poorly. No BS "correlation" arguments, because anyone with at least a semi-decent education should know that correlation doesn't imply causation.

Well, its not the reason but its one of the reasons (at least in 2013)... Last year, when they did that Nintendo Direct nonsense, the stream was laggy with constent skips and I had to reload the page a few times to get it even working and it was an overall bad experience but granted you could watch it again on Youtube right after but there is a saying that the first impression is the most important. So there is that issue and the fanboy issues where people see it as a sign of weakness from Nintendo and etc

But, it seems that in 2014, Nintendo will be holding a live smash tournament at the Nokia Threater with thousands of people in the audience! So maybe this wont be as bad as I thought although that news came way after I made my comments

Well, that's still not proof.  It's a speculation based off of certain reasonings, but we can't actually claim that we know this is it.  Even if you have a bunch of people online saying "oh, I didn't buy one because of _____," it should be obvious by now (to those who follow sales and the discussions here) that those vocal people do NOT make up the majority unless it were niche to begin with.

Around the Network

If only people cared more about the content itself rather than how the content is presented, then we wouldn't have people whining about this!

Video or live shouldn't matter. The presentation will be all over the news, epecially if Zelda is revealed. That's all that matters.

Einsam_Delphin said:
If only people cared more about the content itself rather than how the content is presented, then we wouldn't have people whining about this!

I think the people 'whining' as you so generously put it are upset that the content will be shown to only a 10th-to-a-100th of the people.

Nintendo's livestream last year - 150k

Sony's livestream on Twitch alone - 15,000,000

Why would Nintendo kick themselves in the butts like that and show the new games to only a small group of people who would be buying them anyway? When they could show to a larger audience and get them excited, too?

I think that matters.

Pavolink said:
Smeags said:
There will be an E3 conference... just not live...

Whether it'll succeed or fail has never been dependent on whether it's live or digital, but about the content they show for the fans.

Sure, we had great live conferences like 2006 and 2010... but we also had less-than-great (that's putting it lightly) conferences with 2008 and 2012. Being live or not had very little to do with their successes and failures. Nintendo will impress with new features, games, and announcements, not CEO and talking heads going on about sales, ecosystems, and other buzzwords.

And with a digital conference, the only technical issue they have to worry about is their live-feed (which *was* piss poor last year. Hopefully they'll have that fixed this time... >_>). No more crashing games (Assassin's Creed at the PS conference) or broken controls due to interference (Skyward Sword). Nintendo will show us exactly what they want to show us, and they'll succeed or fail based off of that.

Last year they announced the new 3D Mario and the new Mario Kart, both HD for Wii U. Did you feel the hype? Because I don't.

I did, but you know why the gaming world didn't get set on fire?

Because gaming journalists are petty and childish.  Nintendo clearly won E3 from my point of view.  The others basically just showed tech demoes of non existant games or some call of duty/assassins creed games. There was nothing epic or amazing about them. But Sony won E3 in peoples minds due to 2 reasons.

1. Their bashing of Xbox One.  Everyone seemed to care so much about the price and no drm and stuff they didn't look more closely at Sony's boring conference.

2. The GAMING JOURNALIST experienced Nintendo's conference (or direct) the exact same as everyone else in the entire world.  No one pampered them.  They weren't special and didn't get invited to sit at an event and watch, they had to sit at their own computers like us and watch.  Thus they didn't have their usual excitement they had when talking about Nintendo's thing, and kind of downplayed or ignored it.   

I can understand the gaming journalists to an extent.  Be like instead of going to a live concert you instead watch it online.  It wouldn't be as exciting or fun for them.  But I have no idea why us millions of viewers sitting at home watching on the computer would care.  Either direct or conference, both we are watching on our screen.  Only difference for us is the random clapping or cheering that happens or doesn't happen.  But if you need to hear people react to an announcement to get excited there are millions of youtube people you could watch their reactions afterwards or even live.  Or hell watch E3 with some friends and react together.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Pavolink said:

Tell that to Twilight Princess. A game announced in a real conference for their worst seller homeconosle (at that time) which ended on the Wii at launch and generate enough hype for many of us to buy their new hardware.

And even sales proves it: 7 million. Those sales won't even would have been this good if it was announced in a Nintendo Direct that only you, me and few more knows.

The vast majority of gamers doesn't follow E3 live. What matters is whether or not a product is good, so the timing and place of the announcement is pretty much irrelevant. If it's something good, the word will inevitably spread. And Twilight Princess just so happened to be a good Zelda game. People read about it in magazines or heard about it from their friends (of which most didn't watch the E3 reveal). None of those people knew about those men with tears in their eyes at E3 2004. It didn't matter. You put way too much stock in the importance of E3.

Yea time and place of announcement mean nothing I agree.

Wasn't Brawl not even announced.  It just randomly started playing on TV's spread about the E3 event while people were walking around?   That game had huge hype and sold well and it was basically announced like a commercial during E3.  Many people probabbly missed it because they didn't look up at the TV the first time.

MDMAlliance said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Well, its not the reason but its one of the reasons (at least in 2013)... Last year, when they did that Nintendo Direct nonsense, the stream was laggy with constent skips and I had to reload the page a few times to get it even working and it was an overall bad experience but granted you could watch it again on Youtube right after but there is a saying that the first impression is the most important. So there is that issue and the fanboy issues where people see it as a sign of weakness from Nintendo and etc

But, it seems that in 2014, Nintendo will be holding a live smash tournament at the Nokia Threater with thousands of people in the audience! So maybe this wont be as bad as I thought although that news came way after I made my comments

Well, that's still not proof.  It's a speculation based off of certain reasonings, but we can't actually claim that we know this is it.  Even if you have a bunch of people online saying "oh, I didn't buy one because of _____," it should be obvious by now (to those who follow sales and the discussions here) that those vocal people do NOT make up the majority unless it were niche to begin with.

That is true but 2013 was a disaster for Nintendo for the wiiU and the system was rattled with consistent negative press. One way they could have avoided some was by going to e3 and not have a laggy stream... Many saw it as doom and gloom as always and even though they are a vocal minority, it just added to the issues of the wiiU in 2013... Nintendo needed any good press they could get their hands on and this did not help at all imo. But again, 2014 might change that thanks to that Tournament thing

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

VitroBahllee said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Nintendo's livestream last year - 150k

Sony's livestream on Twitch alone - 15,000,000

Got sources for those numbers?

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

I for one am happy about there decision... They are already showing more excitement and drive than any other company for this E3.

im not coming, so, no difference to me.