By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is it hard to believe that third parties are biased against Nintendo?

You are not biased if you look at your numbers. Ubisoft for example lost a lot of money by supporting Wii-U this far. It would be wise for them to entirely cease Wii-U support since they loose money with a dead system because nobody buys their games which cannot compete with Nintendos strong brands.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
rolltide101x said:
Devs and publishers want money. If Nintendo made them money then Devs and publishers would be there but 3rd party games do not do well on Nintendo hardware

repeating the bolded will not make it true.

You must not have heard of truth through repetition. It's very real.

This has been talked to death. Most Nintendo gamers have other systems, there is a lot less (only owning one)console loyalty. So to get people to buy for that system you have to make your port of games for that system as good or better than the ones they own. That usually means more resources towards that platform. You put the majority of resources towards the platform with the biggest userbases. That results in shoddy ports of games on the smallest platform(new Nintendo system). That results in bad sales because gamers are going to pick the best(or not the worst) version of a game. Which results in less(and eventually no) resources towards that platform in the future.

Now if Nintendo released a current gen system 2x as powerful as PS4 it wouldnt matter. People would still stick to their loyalty and buy PS4/X1 because they dont like Nintendo franchises. The userbase would warrant more resources to the PS4/X1 versions and Nintendo would still get the worst version of games.

I honestly think Nintendo is past the point of no return. They dont have the rabid fanbase that other consoles have. They are forever stuck in the kiddie zone, no matter what they try to do they cant get out of it, no matter how false the statement is.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

st0pnsw0p said:
Zero999 said:
st0pnsw0p said:

Despite popular belief, Nintendo games aren't so good that they appeal to absolutely everyone and stop people from wanting to buy any other type of game. The reason most 3rd parties sell poorly on Nintendo consoles is due to their completely different demographics. People who buy a Wii U generally aren't the type of people who are interested in AAA 3rd party games and vice versa, hence why games like AC, CoD and the like sell worse on Wii U than on other consoles, but for a Rayman Legends, which appeals 

If Nintendo made a console that both audiences bought, both types of games would sell well and third parties would be willing to support it, just like they supported the PS3 at the start of the generation despite its faults simply because their games sold on it.

this demographic thing is also a myth. and there will always be some franchises that sell beter on platform a,b or c.

And why does that happen, if demographics has nothing to do with it? Random chance? If that were the case, the FFXIII games would have sold more on PS3 some of the time and sometimes more on the 360, but that's not the case. All three games sold more than twice as much on PS3 as they did on 360.

All the Call of Dutys and Battlefields sold more on 360 than on PS3. All the Skylanders sold better on Wii than on any other system. Resident Evil 5 and 6 sold better on PS3. All the retail Sonic games, except All-Stars Racing Transformed, sold better on PS3 than on 360. All 9 the NFS games released on both 360 and PS3 except two did better on PS3 than on 360. How can you possibly explain all of these without using demographics?

saying: "nintendo's demographic doesn't buy third party games/ is too different from the other consoles audiences" is the myth part. got it now?

Everyone can agree more or less than Nintendo's own games sell best on their hardware. Many would argue that Nintendo's own games are The reason to buy any Nintendo hardware.

As a result, 3rd party games on Nintendo platforms are secondary at best with very few exceptions. As a result, the vast majority of 3rd party games have a more limited market than they might on other hardware platforms, or at the very least, the games can be expected to sell fewer units than they would on other platforms.

In short, it's generally more profitable for 3rd party developers to focus on other platforms where they aren't competing with the primary reason most of the installed user base is playing on a Nintendo platform.

Is it biased when they regularly and deliberately divert more effort and resources to other platforms? By definition, of course. But it doesn't take a stretch of reason to see it has more to do with seeking an optimal ROI than some sort of personal, emotional grudge. That's generally how biased consumer minds work, not the companies that develop and publish games as an investment looking for the maximum returns.

Around the Network
Keegs79 said:
Zero999 said:

how about a simpler fact? over 300 games sold 500k+ on wii, most of them are third party, both exclusive and multiplatform. with those sales, the vast majority, if not all, are profitable.

Now you said 300 made sold over 500,000? Wrong. It was 262.

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/2/wii/

The market was huge for the Wii. Of course it was going to have third party games that sold but it doesn't mean its going to be successful. What third party games sold well? No surprise, casual games. Games that the Wii was targeted to in the first place. That is the spin! That was the one hit wonder with the Wii that made Nintendo successful. They can't capitalize on it because the Wii U isn't attracting the casual market and major AAA titles from third parties didn't even sale all that well. Those casual games don't have huge budgets so of course those are likely profitable but Nintendo's own Wii Music sold 3 million

There is so many great games on the Wii that got outsold by crap so why should they have even bothered.

308 games sold at least 500k. 253 of those were third party.

don't make me laugh with this pointless "casual" term. as I said 253 third party games sols at least 500k units and close to 100 are million sellers. among those you will find all kinds of games and genres, p.e.r.i.o.d. by comparing to other consoles, we see that third party games sell less on nintendo than others, but less =/= little, it's still a lot of sales.

JazzB1987 said:
sabastian said:
JazzB1987 said:
rolltide101x said:

There are many types of gamers.

The gamer that owns a Wii/ Ps3

The gamer that owns a 360/Wii

The gamer that owns a ps3/360

If your the gamer that only owned a Wii as your sole console last gen, you were the gamer that missed out on a TON of awesome games....... 

Th Wii did not help itself when it came to 3rd party titles, and so is the Wii-U.

And as far as I can remember, Nintendo is the only company that has games released over 10 years now and still ask you to pay full price for them. Tell me how is that good for the consumer ?

I am not saying this is good for consumers. But is it really bad for consumers? I mean If I buy the game for 60 bucks and everyone else also has to pay 60 even 2 years later its actualyl GOOD for me not Bad. For people that want something but dont want to pay the price  its obviously not so good but those are obviously not long-time-nintendo gamers  because those understand how Nintendo pricing works.

So if keeping the prices high is bad for consumers then starting with a 60 price tag is actually even worse.
I would love to have cheaper games like $30€ but it seems thats not going to happen. When I know the games wont get cheap for a while and I decide to buy them I DO NOT WANT them to get cheaper anytime soon otherwhise I feel bad. Imho you should not penalize early adopters by reducing the price to fast. Just look at how alot of X1 owners cried just because the X1 became cheaper. Its the same. People do not like to pay more than others for the same thing and thats pretty understandable because its unfair.

I am critisizing the stupid industry for thinking that only 3 months count  because THEY drop the price and so in THEIR opinion  half price sales dont count.   Nintendo does not really reduce the price because they dont need to and people are  obviously fine with that. Also alot of people argue that NIntendo games have better value. I mean why do you think so many people including me want games to drop in price? Because we know its going to happen sooner than later. I buy Nintendo games day 1 (Wiiu not anymore because 60 is to expensive)  because I know they dont and if they start to do it I will stop buying them for the launch price. Its that simple.

Noone but the third parties decide that their games are appereantly not good enough to cost 60 bucks anymore so they drop the price.  But the problem Is why do they do that? Make it 30 bucks instead of 60 and keep the price forever if its a good game it will still sell especially when people understand that your games will not drop in price anymore.

As said before I myself stopped buying Nintendo home console games day1 because they went from 50 to 60 with WiiU.  Only some very very special games are worth that much money.  Stuff like the SkywardSword collectors edition that came with Soundtrack and Wiimote was. But a "generic" game that is like 20 other games made by other companies is def not worth 60 bucks especially when it lacks polish and has day1 DLC etc....

I am not buying games day1 because I see no point in doing that. I will probably play that game next year because my backlog is so huge. But with Nintendo it does not make a difference because if I buy it today or in 2 years it will be launch price  so why not buy it today? I can at least occasionally play it and wont feel robbed.

If third parties decide to drop the price so quick its their own fault. They show me that they dont have trust in their own product so they wont see my money untill the game price stabilized and is cheap. (I even get "angry"/"sad" when I buy a discounted game for $5€ and 1 week later its $4€. I just dont like the feeling of "wasting" a dollar.  I mean I had no problem with buying LegoCityUndercover  and I am still fine with that price because the price is still high.

Lets say I see a game like The Last of Us for 20bucks as a special deal but I missed it I will never pay more than 20 bucks for that game no matter how good it is because I think "if others get it for 20 why should I pay more? I will not do that"  and so I wait for a price drop even if it takes years.  This is how I work.

In this world that we live in, EVERYTHING drops in price after time, EVERYTHING. Unless its a collectors piece.

Its the nature of itself. Bigger and better comes out, the newest edition comes out, black and white moves to color, 20 inch turnes to 42 inch, DVD turnes to Blu-Ray, NES moves to Gamecube...........

There is no reason for Nintendo to still charge full price for say Mario Kart Wii. NONE. Other than they think that consumers will still buy it, in which case the consumer is indeed part of the problem itself.

And gamers are not stupid. We gamers buy games, and we buy games all the time, so if your racing game comes out in January priced at $60, you better believe that we who want to play the game will go out and pick it up, but here is the catch, next year you are likely to release another racing game. More tracks, better tech, hopefully better gameplay, better graphics. You Set them both side by side on the store shelf priced at $60 each. Why in the world would any self respecting gamer pay $60 for the last years edition ? 

Your logic is flawed. You are aiding Nintendo in lining their pockets, while they drain YOURS. 

Zero999 said:

saying: "nintendo's demographic doesn't buy third party games/ is too different from the other consoles audiences" is the myth part. got it now?

I assume you have a better explanation for why there aren't been as many successful 3rd party games on Nintendo consoles as there have been on competitor's consoles ever since the PS1 era.

st0pnsw0p said:
Zero999 said:

I assume you have a better explanation for why there aren't been as many successful 3rd party games on Nintendo consoles as there have been on competitor's consoles ever since the PS1 era.

for starters, the number of 3rd party titles is higher on other platforms since then. that by itself already favours the number of sucessfull games on non nintendo systems.

and what's the relation of your statement with the discussion? less sucess than others =/= unsucessfull.

greenmedic88 said:
Everyone can agree more or less than Nintendo's own games sell best on their hardware. Many would argue that Nintendo's own games are The reason to buy any Nintendo hardware.

As a result, 3rd party games on Nintendo platforms are secondary at best with very few exceptions. As a result, the vast majority of 3rd party games have a more limited market than they might on other hardware platforms, or at the very least, the games can be expected to sell fewer units than they would on other platforms.

In short, it's generally more profitable for 3rd party developers to focus on other platforms where they aren't competing with the primary reason most of the installed user base is playing on a Nintendo platform.

Is it biased when they regularly and deliberately divert more effort and resources to other platforms? By definition, of course. But it doesn't take a stretch of reason to see it has more to do with seeking an optimal ROI than some sort of personal, emotional grudge. That's generally how biased consumer minds work, not the companies that develop and publish games as an investment looking for the maximum returns.

It hasn't always been that way, and it doesn't have to be that way. Sure, Nintendo's own games sell best on their platforms. But in the N64 days that didn't keep games like Turok, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, or Kobe Bryant's NBA courtside from being successful.

We'll see a Nintendo platform with solid 3rd party someday in the future again.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016