By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The direction the Pokemon franchise is heading, then, now, later...

I was thinking about this and it occured to me that looking back on the games, they all seemed to be fresher and better quality then what they are today.  When you look at the first games of the series, red, blue, and green, you gotta think how these games were really out there in quality at the time, you had 151 unique characters, all with their own pictures and cry when going into battle, which was not seen back then on the GB, with the small restrictive cartrages and hardware, then you add in a good bit of text and a expansive world, and animations for each move, it all adds up to push the bounds of the games on the GB platform.

Today the game just seems to add more features, characters, and moves.  You can have whole teams of nothing but the legendary Pokemon, not much stratagy there just get the strongest characters in the game with the most powerful and balanced moves and you're set to battle everyone else who has the same idea.  Then you get on the topic of how is this game pushing the DS hardware, then you see games like the FF:CC, FF3, and FF4, all of which have expanded story lines, huge 3D worlds, FF3 has a huge combination of classes to choose from, and it makes you wonder why Pokemon didn't push the system as much, having a fully 3D looking world would seem quite nicer then the 2D/3D one we got in the DS version.  I personally love the Pokemon series and hope it continues for a while but I'm just worried about the series going down the wrong path, I don't know many people that wouldn't trade off amount characters to have more stratagy for battling friends, or wouldn't like to have a 3D pokemon world.

My thoughts for the future of the Pokemon series is to take it in a whole new path all together, I would love to see the next game go back to the very few ledgends and maybe 150 to 200 pokemon and a 3D world, then I thought about how that would work, personally I came up with the idea of putting it into the future, ages after the other games, this world would have fewer pokemon just as Kabuto and the rest of the fossils went extinct so would about 200 or more from the last game, how to make sense of it all is evolution, the game is all about evolving, so the survival of the fittest, the strongest characters survived the rest went away (sorry Jigglypuff).  I thought about how it should be, since all the pokemon evolved to survive the ones that stuck around their final forms would actually become their first, then from there they would evolve to stage 2 and 3 which would be new looks for the old characters.  The final way I see it is some pokemon from past games fused together in effort to survive, so you breed one old pokemon (most likely one with only one stage of evolution) with a totally different one to get a fusion of the two races and types to make a stronger pokemon.  I think it would add a new sense to the game and make things as fresh and balanced as they were in the old days.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

Those are some great ideas. I personally don't think Nintendo will push Pokemon's evolution unless the sales dip, which doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. There needs to be a time, maybe the next handheld, where someone admits the game needs at the very minimum, a graphical overhaul and does something about it. I can just imagine DS 2 with a Mario Sunshine looking game next to Gameboy sprite Pokemon.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

The problem is, they have tried to change it. Pokemon rescue team, the 3Ds with stories, but they have kinda... sucked... Pokemon Ranger and Dash and those are not even close in quality.

Seriously, it's pokemon. Say this to the little kid who loved Pikachu. "We're sorry, but survival of the fittest made all Pikachu's die. Have a good day"

And according to reviewers - you're not really correct. (I agree with you to a certain degree)

Blue - 88.8%
Gold - 89.3%
Ruby - 84%
Diamond - 85.2%

Within 5 % from the best isn't bad.

I'm normally against GR, since they're biased, but for all games in one franchise, it's ok using them... I think. I didn't count the 3rd wheelers.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

yeah i was thinking the same thing. Eventually i guess they will need to have a new fresher idea, they just have to.

But still i dont think Pokemon Diamond was a step down, its just the other games like ranger and bla bla are kinda.. sucky

I just want a good Pokemon game for the Wii.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Around the Network

You have some good ideas, however I would like it to be the other way around: a new Pokemon game for the Wii that's in the past. Some Pokemon do not exist in that time so you only have around 200 Pokemon. (But conviniently all popular Pokemon do exist. Oh the luck!)

Gr. H

My former account was HeSSeH, but I lost it. 

Face it: Nintendo are not going to change the concept of the game a lot. 3D might be possible, but look at their franchises.

The legend of Zelda: Still saving the Princess.
Super Mario Plat: Still saving the Princess

Those are the 3 biggest Nintendo franchises (Sorry DK, but lately...) and Nintendo knows their formula's sell. They tried changing it, but that didn't work out. Not only for Pokemon, Majora's Mask for instance.

I haven't played Diamond/Pearl yet (I'm getting it soon though), but they have been doing slight changes all the time - that's more what they'll continue with. Maybe we'll see 6 attacks soon. We've seen 2 vs 2 pokemon, maybe that will become more common, we might even start seeing a couple of combos.

And hey, not all people chose the legendary Pokemons. If they do that, it is what THEY want, nobody forces them too. I, for one, almost never evolve my pokemon (I like them much better as young)

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

I really thought Diamond was the best Pokemon since R/B/G

The new pokemon they create were much better than the new ones in G/S and R/S. I felt like they brought back the very best from all version for the regular 150 pokedex, and they give you the option to catch any pokemon that ever existed.

Its not like the story went down hill.. IMHO the only thing that makes the originals better than D/P is the Legendaries. Articune, Moltres, Zaptos >>>>> than the pshycic thingys from D/P.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Pokemon has stayed the exact same game with small, inconsequential tweaks in every new version. That's it. It's fun for quite a while but....it's getting stale. Diamond's improvements over blue are mostly just cosmetic and for ease of use. Gamefreak doesn't seem to think innovation is neccesary to keep the series entertaining.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

^looking at the sales of D/P it looks like it is not hurting them.... I guess the way they look at it is why ruin something that works.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut