By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did you buy wii because of price or is it just better?

I was just really excited to have a new way of playing games, and that Nintendo (even if just cos they were backed into a corner) had to evolve the industry again. I'd rather play Elebits than Resistence, ExciteTruck over Motorstorm because I'm tired of playing the same games with barely different skins with the same crappy controls.

Yeah, the magic wears off a little, but it's still more engaging to me to play Wii games than most next-gen games. Metal Gear and GTA I hope will be actual GAMEPLAY revolutions and not just incremental change with higher production values.

The random niche stuff is cooler to me than Nintendo's recycled stuff (not counting Mario G), and I actually have about 10 3rd-party games as opposed to I think 5 1st-party ones. The DS is the same story -- aside from NSMB, stuff like Prof Layton, Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright, Lunar Knights, Ouendan, etc. have been the treasures.

And oh yeah, it was cheap and was the first time I actually wanted to buy a number of launch titles (Zelda, Red Steel, Monkey Ball)

Around the Network

I guess I haven't even said why I bought my wii have I?

I bought my wii simply because I'm a NINTENDO fan but also because it was something new. look at the ps3. the controller hasn't changed, they say it's got motion sensors... WHAT ITS GOT IS TILT CONTROL!!! THE WII HAS MOTION SENSING, NOT PS3!!! BLOODY TILT CONTROL HAS BEEN AROUND BEFORE THE BLOODY GAMEBOY!!! And no offence but Xbox's just plain suck. around a 34% failure rate, they catch fire, they're really loud. And all the good games exclusive to it are just the same shooting games! And Xbox live costs money! well all online does I suppose, but thats only the standard network fee. online wii you don't actually get charged by Nintendo.

All Sony and Xbox have done is taken the original console, added flashy graphics and some useless graphics! If you compare a wii to a gamecube you won't find a single thing alike about them! So yeah, thats why I bought my wii...

Battalion Wars FC - Name: megblitz (short for megablitz): 197 696 399 118 (still at 4 stars and making the push towards 5)

Pokemon Battle Revonution FC - Name: megablitz: 5155 1920 5197 (I don't play it much anmore but PM me if you want a game)

Games I own:

Mario Galaxy, LOZ Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel, Heatseeker, Super Paper Mario, Battalion Wars 2, Need For Speed Carbon, Call Of Duty 3, Pokemon Battle Revolution, WarioWare Smooth Moves, Rayman Raving Rabbids 2, The Simpsons Game, Avatar The Last Airbender, Harry Potter 5, Wii Sports, Wii Play.

Wish List:

Super Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, No More Heroes, Bully, Wii Fit, Red Steel 2, Pikmin 3, Spore, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn.

God which one shall I get first?!? They're all great!!!

I bought a gamecube at launch a SNES at launch and a Wii at launch - although I must admit I was a little concerned of the Wii ending up not having any third party support and being a massive flop but took a chance anyway, really gald I did and this is is the year it's gonna shine for me personally with Mariokart, SSBB, WiiWare, third party games and god knows what else by the end of the year.

For Mario Kart and Brawl .....2 game that i know for sure wouldn't dissapoint .

Mafaveli said:
I bought it because I saw potential in the concept, it isnt quite as revolutionary as thought it would be, but games like MP3 and RE4 (its a good rehash before anyone calls me on it, because of the controls) are a step in the right direction.
besides I have a 360, and im looking at picking up a PS3 when it becomes worth it.

I'm of the same in that I saw potential. The only difference is I have a PS3 and might one day get a 360. Everyone saying that you bought a Wii because of Nintendo loyalty: I assume you all bought N64 and GC as well? Just curious, because otherwise I would think it would be the control scheme which is the only difference between a GC and a Wii (yeah yeah, slight graphics enhancements) besides online features. I've wanted Mario Kart online for a long time.

Around the Network

(b) It is better. The price between Wii, X360 & PS3 in my country don't differ by that much.

Because it's better. The price is merely an allowing factor (although I don't know what's the maximum I would have paid - probably 300 €).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I bought it for the new way to play games, same reason I bought my DS. Joysticks are for cavemen.

Edit: While I'm a Nintendo fan for life, I never owned my own GC.  I played StarCtraft for the entire 6th generation. 

I'll choose B. When Nintendo make good consoles, they make very very good consoles (and when they make bad ones, they're horrid). Everything from the initial Wii channel experience to the awe-inspiring motion controls in games is so polished. Yes, awe-inspiring. Even when I'm playing a game with bad controls, I'm still gaping in front of my TV in wonder. It's not just a step up, it's a step sideways. Also, it made a fine replacement for my aging SNES.

It wasn't the fact that it was cheaper but that it was the only console that seemed like it was value for money. I looked at the costs of other consoles on the market, without accessories, and really, they were ridiculously priced. I'm not going to get anything out of Blu Ray or HD-DVD on my Trinitron, and I'd rather have spent that kind of money on a decent PC (which I did).

B. As i weren't interested in buying any console anymore -until i saw Iwata revealing the Wii Remote in TGS.

C. Games. And so that username doesn't need to wonder, Nintendos first party. There weren't many announced that time, but in general, being Nintendo gamer for two decades, give you an idea about what to expect. And then there was Virtual Console, which itself would have been enough to justify the purchase.

And few sidenotes; price was a factor in a sense that i would have paid max 300€. Wii surprised me by how good the non gaming-related stuff actually is.

@Windbane: I didn't buy Wii for loyalty, but i had N64 and GC. Both had games library that was better than competition (depends on opinion), while PSX had only GT, Devil Dice and MGS as games that i wanted (i actually had PSX), and Saturn had quite a few games that i would have wanted. I think there was only few games on PS2, but i can't right away name any, that i really would have wanted and Xbox had none.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.