By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "The Console Market is Shrinking" is a BS Statement

The console market is

shrinking 98 43.36%

staying the same 52 23.01%

growing 74 32.74%

Total:224

The only that's declining is Nintendo's marketshare and that one won't be missed by most hardcore gamers so it's all good.

Around the Network
Shaunaka said:

But I ask again, are there less gamers spending money now than before? Is the market shrinking? Are those companies making less money than before? I don't think so.

Due to stagnant wages in comparison with inflation and high unemployment at least in the US one can argue that less gamers will be spending money now than before and that the market is shrinking. Even if companies  made the same amount of money dime for dime that would actually still be a contraction because the price of game development still rises and they have to recoup those costs.   

RolStoppable said:
People say this because of the eighth generation.

Let's say the PS4 sells 150m units, the Wii U 20m, that's going to leave 100m Ones. Do you really think Microsoft will sell that many consoles?

At this point in time it's definitely not unreasonable to expect a contraction.

Okay... where is the joke or sarcasm? I can't find it anywhere

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

From the ass it came out of!

Exactly.  I am not saying numbers point to it, I am merely saying I predict they will be less this gen.  It has to happen at some point, and I believe this is the one...

nitekrawler1285 said:
Shaunaka said:

But I ask again, are there less gamers spending money now than before? Is the market shrinking? Are those companies making less money than before? I don't think so.

Due to stagnant wages in comparison with inflation and high unemployment at least in the US one can argue that less gamers will be spending money now than before and that the market is shrinking. Even if companies  made the same amount of money dime for dime that would actually still be a contraction because the price of game development still rises and they have to recoup those costs.   

Has nothing to do with that. The 70% of the wii audience will not return to the gaming unless a new fad creates itself. If there is a good product with a good price people will buy it. Analysts knew the Wii  would need a potent successor if the non-gamers were to come back after the Wii's gen.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Has nothing to do with that. The 70% of the wii audience will not return to the gaming unless a new fad creates itself. If there is a good product with a good price people will buy it. Analysts knew the Wii  would need a potent successor if the non-gamers were to come back after the Wii's gen.

It has everything to do with that.  The Wii was created to combat both of the problems  mentioned in my post.  Wii was made to combat ever ballooning software production costs and it's controller was made to get new people trying games to combat the lack of market growth.

The Wii is not a fad.  That audience is still gaming.  Just not on the new consoles(sales of Just Dance lead me to believe they are still fine with the Wii). To that audience the new consoles are bad products at bad prices. Their needs are over shot and the games are far too compicated.  The Wii doesn't need a more potent successor to capture that audience and that thinking is why the new consoles never will capture that audience again.  

If those customers were wanted(and there are many arguments to make that they are not) then a more accessible, intuitive, and inexpensive successor would have been what was needed to replace the Wii.  It's actual successor was the exact opposite in every quality.    

Because Wii U & Xbox One.

Let's wait till the eighth generation is over, then you can try and prove that this is "BS."

I can't see why people were wrong to make this assumption. I think it'll only be a matter of time before consoles are fazed out by all purpose devices. It's been happening in the handheld dimension for sometime.

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

This gen is going to be down by quite a bit this time. US and EU may still sell as much as last gen (I doubt it, but lets keep it like that) japan is dead for consoles and the rest of the world (Unless China makes a huge difference in the following years) is going to be pretty much 100% mobile.

So let's say:

US&Can + EU + JP + RW

PS4= 30m + 40m + 5m + 10m = 85m Ltd

xbox1= 25m + 25m + 0.5 + 5m = 55 m ltd

Wiiu= 15m + 10m + 5m + 2m = 32 LTD

total: 172m

Mobile gaming is going to reduce the casual gamers by a big margin thus hindering the possibilities of any growth this gen. 

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064