By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sakurai GDC interview on Brawl

IGN had an interview with Sakurai asking him some questions about Brawl

Full article: http://wii.ign.com/articles/853/853748p1.html

Major Points:

• No downloadable characters, Sakurai doubts the Wii is able.
  • He dropped voice chat cause of various reasons.
  • He has no knowledge of a DS version of Smash.
  • He still has ideas for future Smash Bros games.

My take:

It's understandable that he dropped voice chat once he explained himself, love or hate it he's got good points about being bothered online with stupid people insulting you, and he does say just use skype if you want to have Voice chat that badly.

Sad news on the hopes of DLC of characters and official stages, nothing is unlocked by playing online, and nothing can be downloaded character wise, and even stages couldn't be done, he said it's a disc based system so sad news for DLC hopefuls including myself.

Discuss!

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

Oh yeah another point I forgot to mention was Sakurai also said he wasn't exclusive to Nintendo so there might be Sora brand games on PS3, PSP, or 360, and wouldn't break his bonds at Nintendo.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

I don't know why, but I'm a little disappointed that he said that he has idea's for the next smash bros game, I guess it's because you know he didn't go all out on this one?

Like, I know that most developers say that they still have a few things up their sleeve when they make a sequel, but this is one of those rare few times that I've heard a developer admit that before a game is released (worldwide that is). Maybe it's because he thinks brawl will get very average reviews (for the franchise, which'd be high 8's and low 9's anyway) and he doesn't want to put people off the series?

Who knows

Not too shocked about the lack of DLC, since the Wii lacks a hard drive and internal memory just isn't there (Let's be honest people). Disabling Video chat is pretty obvious, seeing as how family orientated the Wii is, as opposed to the other competiting consoles. Nintendo won't want a few big ego's who think they're 1337 smack talking and ruining it for the rest of us. I'm not fussed though, so long as we don't get dodged with the "friend codes only" online play, I'll be happy.

I didn't like the interview one bit, it came off as very negative, and how do I say "douchey".

It's Like the guys at IGN were just asking "why didn't you include this? why is this all? Wouldn't you like to put more in it? Why weren't there more third parties? Why no leader boards? Why are we so dissapointed in this game? Why are we such dickheads that lack appreciation for a great directors work?"

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Well knowing Sakurai's developing style, he never runs out of ideas to throw in there, he pointed out he could have went on for a long time developing it cause he would always think of something new, but look at it this way when the next one comes out Sakurai will have a lot of good ideas.

Around the Network
The_vagabond7 said:
I didn't like the interview one bit, it came off as very negative, and how do I say "douchey".

It's Like the guys at IGN were just asking "why didn't you include this? why is this all? Wouldn't you like to put more in it? Why weren't there more third parties? Why no leader boards? Why are we so dissapointed in this game? Why are we such dickheads that lack appreciation for a great directors work?"

Most of the things he asked came from the questions the IGN insiders and community have asked him constantly, so in short the community is a bunch of douchebags, to get the douchebags off his back he got the answers from the source himself Sakurai.  A lot of people did want those questions answered, he didn't have much time to ask so instead of the nice questions it was more straight to the point so, yes a bit more "douchey"

I agree, the interview was horrible. Iwata asks explained everything at least 5 times as well, and came off happily.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Yeah, they just need to direct their douchebag community to Iwata asks. It talks about all of those questions and Iwata doesn't come off as a dick.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Why do you guys have so much negativity on the interview? For what we know, it could be hints of things to come in the next Smash Bros. game. He would add more stuff if he had the time, like he said, but within time, he'll get new ideas for the next game plus better hardware to work on to improve the next game. Who knows, maybe this was only the tip of the iceberg of ideas (third-party characters; could he include Sora in the next game??), and I'm sure there will be more time to wait for the next game.

More time + new ideas + new hardware = a much better game.

The negativity isn't directed at Sakurai, and what he said. It's directed at the douchebags at IGN that are essentially asking him why his game isn't better.