By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 18 months in, what are your thoughts on the Wii U Gamepad? Success or disappointment?

There is a lot they could do with it. RTS type gameplay, improving RPG controls, and allowing skills to be changed quickly in games with lots of them. However, I think a lot of the best uses would be in the types of games Nintendo doesn't often make. ZombiU, as the OP mentioned, for example. Metroid, though, could be a good title to really show off the game-pad.

There is a lot of potential but I'm not sure it's going to be reached. It's a 'chicken and egg' situation, kind of. The best games for the Wii U would be ones made specifically to use the game-pad features but no one is going to do that unless the Wii U gets very popular. Kind of a shame to think that it might never be utilized fully.

Around the Network
Aquietguy said:
Uabit said:
Useless and only making Wii U more expensive than a comfortable cool pro controller would :)

Useless? Care to elaborate on how it's useless after there's been games that's already showed how great the pad is. It's the best idea Nintendo has come up with and more than worth the extra expense.

O_O

NES D-Pad > Gamepad
SNES Shoulder Buttons > Gamepad
N64 Analogue Stick > Gamepad
GCN... well that really had nothing new and impressive and look, it sold crap
Wii Remote > Gamepad

GB Portable gaming > Gamepad
GBA Portable SNES like gaming > Gamepad
DS Dual Screens > Gamepad
3DS... well Gamepad > 3D really

Anyway now that Im done being an ass =P

Oh shit almost forgot

Game&Watch > Gamepad
Virtual Boy VR > gamepad =P

pokoko said:
There is a lot they could do with it. RTS type gameplay, improving RPG controls, and allowing skills to be changed quickly in games with lots of them. However, I think a lot of the best uses would be in the types of games Nintendo doesn't often make. ZombiU, as the OP mentioned, for example. Metroid, though, could be a good title to really show off the game-pad.

There is a lot of potential but I'm not sure it's going to be reached. It's a 'chicken and egg' situation, kind of. The best games for the Wii U would be ones made specifically to use the game-pad features but no one is going to do that unless the Wii U gets very popular. Kind of a shame to think that it might never be utilized fully.

Which is why we all entered rage mode when we heard about DKCTF and not a new Metroid Prime reboot =(

Ive never even played Prime 1-3 and I was angry

pokoko said:

I think this is a good analysis. The GamePad offers a lot of possibilities, but it hasn't yet been tapped to its full potential.

That being said, it's totally justified in my mind. Playing Nintendo Land with my family during Christmas 2012 alone made it worth it. Passing the GamePad back and forth, laughing, and talking trash...the GamePad is just the perfect vehicle for local multiplayer.

@pokoko, have you heard of Hex Heroes? It's a WiiU RTS on Kickstarter. Looks very promising  

I think it's comfortable. I don't have problems playing games on it. I like 2nd screen asynchronous gameplay.

Charging it is annoying.

I like the TV Remote features, but would really like TVii to be more user-friendly.

Web browser is great.

User interface still can be improved on. Too much loading. Why can't I go directly to a game to play from Miiverse/eShop etc?

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

I think it has been dissapointing that Nintendo has not made much use of the gamepad, also they could have designed it to look a bit more apealling.

pokoko said:

I wish this forum had a like button - because I would like the bejeez out of this comment

dissapointed

doesnt offer precision control in comparison to ps4 and xbox controllers

its too large and clunky and triggers dont offer same feedback as ps4 and xbone controllers

its the main reason for the failure of wiiu

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

The off tv play is perfect for me, without it the gamepad woud be pretty disapointing.

The more i try it, the more surprised i am at how cool of a gadget it is.

I know why the general populace will be turned off by all the buttons, but i dont see what hardcores got to complain about, unless they a knitpicking.

I still think that Nintendo should redesign it and make it smaller. Less plastic.