By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Angry joe vs Angry IGN review editor - Twitter fight because the titanfall review.

Tagged games:

dahuman said:
mornelithe said:
dahuman said:
DD_Bwest said:
dahuman said:
DD_Bwest said:
my god dan is a dumbass, He starts the whole thing because his panties are twisted in knots because he got called out and now hes made everything far worse by looking like such a tool. Doesnt look good for IGN at all. he deserves a facepalm..

right or not, he looks like a whiny 14yo moron for getting into whats basically a playground argument.

To be fair, Dan wasn't very aggressive if you read the tweet, Joe was the one calling names and refuse to give a straight up apology for making an obvious mistake and kept on with the insults as a distraction to really talk about the issue at hand, Dan acted as an adult while Joe acted like a frustrated crook.

No, an adult would contact AJ in a private manner.  The way he chose to approach this whole thing is what makes him look childish.

Also, it appears people will side with one or the other based on the semantics of the argument.  in cases like this no one is really right,  but that doesnt change the fact dan made himself look terrible, and im sure IGN isnt to happy about it.

With the way Joe acted, do you think the problem would have been solved in private? I personally think it would have went worse, and to do it in public can at least give people a chance to decide if the things Joe did was in the right or wrong, and the thing Joe did was in fact wrong and was in noway civil in the public conversation when all he had to do was acknowledge where he fucked up and moved on. This has nothing to do with big corp looking down on the small guy or who's morally correct, but rather that if you can't quote properly, then what the fuck are you doing reviewing stuff for us?

If you look at the timeline of the dialogue, Dan starts out attacking Joe unsolicited, and off-topic.

and the best comebacks Joe had were straight up insults? That's really gonna score some points right there man.

You're missing the point.  Dan started it, publicly, unsolicited, on an off-topic tweet.  That's not really the level of professionalism you'd expect from a company the size of IGN.  And if you actually read the exchange, the first what, 5 or 6 responses from Joe were completely civil (At some point, you do start to get annoyed with a dumb twat derailing your question).  I guess can see what Dan is trying to say (it's a stretch though), but I can also see the context of Joe's complaint in this issue.  Dan apparently missed the term 'major outlets', and heard the words 'The Titanfall review on IGN got way high scores'.

Around the Network
dahuman said:
Leadified said:

What Dan said is factually incorrect. He said that, "Talking about reviews and then showing a quote not in the review is misrepresenting our review." Firstly, Joe was never talking about the reviews, he was talking about review scores AND that outlets were saying things like "believe the hype". Did IGN do both of those things? Yes they did. Dan is accusing Joe of things he never did in the first place.

If Joe said that quote came from IGN's review then Joe would be wrong and indeed he would be misquoting but he didn't.

The place where Dan came from is simple, if Joe wanted to toss IGN in there, then he should have left out the review scores 9-10 part because now people are linked in their mind to IGN which scored the game in the 8 category and not 9-10, and it's indeed a misrepresentation. Joe fucked up, Dan got too worked up, Joe came out with wtf insults, dumb asses, but Dan is not wrong.

Well I would understand if the part where he said 10/10 and 9/10 was at the same time as when he showed IGN's review score in the video but he didn't, IGN's score was after. Also Joe said "high scores", 10/10 and 9/10 were just examples. 8.9/10 is still a high score so his point still stands. Unless Dan wants to argue that 8.9 is not a high score.

Ryan Mcaffrey is a joke of a reviewer. I agree with Joe 100%, and it seems most people didn't buy into the hype.

mornelithe said:
dahuman said:
mornelithe said:

If you look at the timeline of the dialogue, Dan starts out attacking Joe unsolicited, and off-topic.

and the best comebacks Joe had were straight up insults? That's really gonna score some points right there man.

You're missing the point.  Dan started it, publicly, unsolicited, on an off-topic tweet.  That's not really the level of professionalism you'd expect from a company the size of IGN.  And if you actually read the exchange, the first what, 5 or 6 responses from Joe were completely civil (At some point, you do start to get annoyed with a dumb twat derailing your question).  I guess can see what Dan is trying to say (it's a stretch though), but I can also see the context of Joe's complaint in this issue.  Dan apparently missed the term 'major outlets', and heard the words 'The Titanfall review on IGN got way high scores'.

Quote tree bro, max 3, forum rule.

Anyways, I agree that a public execution might be too much over such a minor thing in life, alas, Dan's concerned weren't wrong, but I really don't think name calling and insults was the proper way to go cause that really made Joe look like a jackass from the perspective of somebody like me who doesn't know much about them in the first place because Joe never gave a straight answer but was super defensive the whole way instead.

I agree with Angry Joe on this to be fair. Some of the preview stuff from IGN was so over the top... it was like one big advert for the game.

In fact AJ review is one of the better ones out there, it says, game is good, could be great, but hey look at all the things you expect from a £50 game that you would expect.

I don't really know why this IGN guy is worrying about it, it would have gone away, all he has done has made himself look like a muppet.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
Leadified said:
dahuman said:
Leadified said:

What Dan said is factually incorrect. He said that, "Talking about reviews and then showing a quote not in the review is misrepresenting our review." Firstly, Joe was never talking about the reviews, he was talking about review scores AND that outlets were saying things like "believe the hype". Did IGN do both of those things? Yes they did. Dan is accusing Joe of things he never did in the first place.

If Joe said that quote came from IGN's review then Joe would be wrong and indeed he would be misquoting but he didn't.

The place where Dan came from is simple, if Joe wanted to toss IGN in there, then he should have left out the review scores 9-10 part because now people are linked in their mind to IGN which scored the game in the 8 category and not 9-10, and it's indeed a misrepresentation. Joe fucked up, Dan got too worked up, Joe came out with wtf insults, dumb asses, but Dan is not wrong.

Well I would understand if the part where he said 10/10 and 9/10 was at the same time as when he showed IGN's review score in the video but he didn't, IGN's score was after. Also Joe said "high scores", 10/10 and 9/10 were just examples. 8.9/10 is still a high score so his point still stands. Unless Dan wants to argue that 8.9 is not a high score.

You can't set something as an example without including them in the first place...... From the video, in Joe's opinion, he did not include 8.9 as his example of a high score, so that point can't really stand ground since 8.9 is your opinion of a high score..... Maybe it's Joe's as well, but he sure as hell didn't say anything about it in his review, just saying.

dahuman said:
Leadified said:
dahuman said:

You can't set something as an example without including them in the first place...... From the video, in Joe's opinion, he did not include 8.9 as his example of a high score, so that point can't really stand ground since 8.9 is your opinion of a high score..... Maybe it's Joe's as well, but he sure as hell didn't say anything about it in his review, just saying.

Uh yeah he did. He showed off IGN's score, in Joe's opinion that was a high score. Why would he show it off if he didn't think so? On a scale of 1 to 10, it's pretty clear that 8.9 is a high score, that's not even an argument.

That's a lot of tweets. There should be a TLDR version.

Leadified said:
dahuman said:
Leadified said:
dahuman said:

Uh yeah he did. He showed off IGN's score, in Joe's opinion that was a high score. Why would he show it off if he didn't think so? On a scale of 1 to 10, it's pretty clear that 8.9 is a high score, that's not even an argument.

I must have missed that part since my youtube was minimized due to being at work if that's the case lol, prolly could have avoided that drama if he didn't post the IGN scores in that case I guess, interwebz drama FTW!

my main problem with IGN is using the decimal places for games  just use the solid numbers no need to use decimals, either commit to a 9 or go 8 no need to say 8.9 cause in almost everyones mind that is really a 9.  on top of this IGN has been accused of doing reviews for money from EA in the past so they lost credibility to me.  my last complaint is the add revenue they take look at how many titanfall adds they had on thier site when the review came out hell there was a titanfall add in the titanfall review page for a while.  to me thats a conflict of interest i mean are they going to review the game badly if money from said game is paying thier saleries.  Titanfall was good not great, it was at most a 7/10 for me but for the sake of being funny im going to say its a 6.9/10 lol