By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I blame VGChartz: the fake accuracy accusation

Viper1 said:
The rounding of the figures is not required to exemplify the status of the figures as an estimation.

Rounding is a method of simplifying information to ensure easier digestion of said information. It also works as a shortcut for those computing them. I find the fact that Ioi doesn't partake in the shortcuts as a means of care in ensuring figures are as detailed as they can be.

Besides, why approximate something that is already an estimate?

It is not required, you are correct. It however, is a means that is often being used to show that those numbers are estimates. In my work, someone will hit you very hard if you put in a presentation that for a task, 121,322 mandays are estimated.

It is not a means for easier digestion. a number is a number. it is a mean that you yourself admit it is an estimate.

Answer: because it is an estimate. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network
ioi said:
For those who were actually here when vgchartz first began you will remember that all numbers were rounded to the nearest 250 for the very reason listed here but everyone complained and I changed it a few months later.

I am kinda 50/50 on the issue but the way it is at the moment seems to work best and keeps most people happy...

Thanks ioi for clearing that up. I guess there is a difference between the few who understand and the many that want to be deceived.

If this fake accuracy makes the users happy, keep it. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Some round ...some don't.

We know they are estimates.

Mike from Morgantown

PS -- Why do people not raise the same questions about other data sources that they do about VGChartz? They apply. Maybe its because VGC puts everything out there and does not hide behind secrecy.

PPS -- Interesting how large video game market is in US and how it is the only market without weekly public data by the large tracking firm(s).

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

It's not fake accuracy, don't try and be condescending about it. It's just presentation, aesthetics even. It's an estimate either way, you like zeroes at the end, others don't. Why is this even a discussion? The only people that have a problem with it "being innacurate" are just ignorant n00bs.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The_vagabond7 said:
It's not fake accuracy, don't try and be condescending about it. It's just presentation, aesthetics even. It's an estimate either way, you like zeroes at the end, others don't. Why is this even a discussion? The only people that have a problem with it "being innacurate" are just ignorant n00bs.

too funny. like i said, there are many that dont get it. and your posting style makes you look very mature, i have to say.

anyways, as long as ioi understands, im fine with it.

Around the Network
Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Vgchartz are very inaccurate I have no idea where they are pulling these numbers out off. Wii for example sells 200 000 units in US one week, next week only 48000 units. I think the estimates are made up lol.

Did you ever heard about shipment issues ... probably not ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Thanks ioi for clearing that up. I guess there is a difference between the few who understand and the many that want to be deceived.

Face it, that's condescending. And calling me immature is too.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Faxanadu said:
ioi said:
For those who were actually here when vgchartz first began you will remember that all numbers were rounded to the nearest 250 for the very reason listed here but everyone complained and I changed it a few months later.

I am kinda 50/50 on the issue but the way it is at the moment seems to work best and keeps most people happy...

It's only fake accuracy if we actually believe that it's accurate when it's not.

that would be like the ASPCA complaining about someone buying a faux leather jacket because of all the poor little fauxes that had to die to make it.

We know they're estimates. It's not that we prefer to be deceived, it's that we're already not being deceived at all, so there isn't any reason to address the issue of how we're being deceived. At least, I don't feel deceived at all, nor do many others. Why is it that you feel you are being deceived? Were you actually deceived into thinking that the numbers were at any point more accurate than they really were as estimates?

What people will get up in arms over is when the numbers get rounded and someone takes offense that their console lost 123 in the rounding process while that other guy's console only lost 20 in the rounding process. THAT is the reason why they aren't rounded.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

well, maybe i misread your post before. i thought this statement below was referring to me:

"The only people that have a problem with it "being innacurate" are just ignorant n00bs."

if it wasnt, i need to work on my reading comprehension and am sorry. that is also where my immature comment comes from.

You have 1500 posts, I'm not calling you a noob, I'm calling the people that come in and use that as evidence that VGchartz is wrong, noobs.