By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can someone explain FF XIV to me?

Tagged games:

outlawauron said:
Nem said:

FFXIV is a mid average MMO. It doesnt do anything terribly wrong, but it doesnt do anything terribly well.

I would say the bad points in my opinion are:

• It can get very grindy.
  • The community is very agressive (though i'm starting to think this is happening across the board on MMO's, but due to the grindy nature of the game people will expect you to know everything the first time you step in a dungeon, so be prepared for alot of out of the game studying).
  • The global cooldown is slower than other MMO's. Its 2.5 seconds opposed to the 1 to 1.5 of other popular MMO's like WoW and SWTOR.

The good:

• You can level every class with one character. Changing classes is as easy as changing weapons and all features are there like gear sets.
  • The game does not miss any major feature. Everything you would expect of an MMO today, FFXIV has. Dungeon finder, PVP, end game raiding, housing, crafting,etc.
  • The graphics are pretty. Theres nothing like taking a stroll on costa del sol during the day and taking in the vistas.

I played it for a month at launch then stopped after getting to 50. Then i came back last january and leveled 6 more classes, but i recently left the game again.
Why? Well, the minus point that i talked about where you need to study the game outside the game was the straw that broke the camels back. I dont have fun studying games. I spent alot of time studying and quite honestly, i am sick of it. The player inside expect me to know the fast run when i first go into a dungeon. I just dont have the patience for it. Its too much work and too time consuming for too little reward. I prefer to invest my time on something i can enjoy without having to spend so much of my time to get to the questionably enjoyable part.

I guess what i'm trying to say is: I dont mind the game, but the people there ruin it for me. Also, my usual guild from other games was not interested in it, and the guilds i tried to join were all very childish, so i got put off.

People do expect you to know the dungeon or run, but if you don't and ask for help, then people will generally assist. I never watch videos or how to things outside of turn 5 and turn 7 because the fights are very difficult. No need to study outside the game since there are plenty of learning parties and thousands of players and FCs to help you through the way.

ETA: I learned to OT Levi Extreme on my first run attempting. My teammates explained it and I did fine. My most recent example of learning on the go rather than learning outside the game.

That only works in the beggining when everyone is still learning. If you go on mid to later level dungeons it is rare not to be grouped with a prick or two. I was playing tank, so its especially nasty if you arent born knowing and get lip when you try to put that archer that pulls mobs in his place. 

And before you think im some sort of green bulb that doesnt know how to play MMO's let me tell you i played WoW endgame for many years on top guilds. I even had top 5 world records for my spec in firelands before i left, so dont think of insulting me with insinuations.

I'm sure i could endure through since it hurts them more than me if i leave, but really... i guess i just dont care enough to do it. I actually am quite put off of MMOs atm. Theres always something wrong with them. I miss the times of the first guild wars and wow vanilla and tbc. People used to generally be nice back then. Now, its full of self-indulgent jerks, and i just cba anymore.

Around the Network
Nem said:
outlawauron said:

People do expect you to know the dungeon or run, but if you don't and ask for help, then people will generally assist. I never watch videos or how to things outside of turn 5 and turn 7 because the fights are very difficult. No need to study outside the game since there are plenty of learning parties and thousands of players and FCs to help you through the way.

ETA: I learned to OT Levi Extreme on my first run attempting. My teammates explained it and I did fine. My most recent example of learning on the go rather than learning outside the game.

That only works in the beggining when everyone is still learning. If you go on mid to later level dungeons it is rare not to be grouped with a prick or two. I was playing tank, so its especially nasty if you arent born knowing and get lip when you try to put that archer that pulls mobs in his place. 

And before you think im some sort of green bulb that doesnt know how to play MMO's let me tell you i played WoW endgame for many years on top guilds. I even had top 5 world records for my spec in firelands before i left, so dont think of insulting me with insinuations.

I'm sure i could endure through since it hurts them more than me if i leave, but really... i guess i just dont care enough to do it. I actually am quite put off of MMOs atm. Theres always something wrong with them. I miss the times of the first guild wars and wow vanilla and tbc. People used to generally be nice back then. Now, its full of self-indulgent jerks, and i just cba anymore.

I wasn't trying to say you were bad at the game, I was asking if you asked for help or tips before tanking a boss you haven't tanked. I'm a PLD and I'll always ask what I need to know before any boss. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

And for learning parties, there are still several. Checking party finder, I see some available every day.

For community quality, I think FF14 is par for the course. There are some FF11 players on my legacy server who have no business believing how great they are, but that issue is primarily due to being on the most populated legacy server. I didn't play WoW till much later and thought people were much worse, but everyone's experience will differ on what server you play on.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

It's my first MMO and so far it's great.

My only problem is that it's too addictive. I basically spend all my time after work playing it.

EB1994 said:
Ok off topic but...Why the hell are they making games where you have to pay an initial price for it and then on top of that a monthly subscription? ESO and now this game? WTF!!!

Honestly, imo, because they beleive the 'name' and fan base they built up over the years alone will make people buy it and pay for it. Not saying its not worth it or not, playing FFXIV on PS4 now and enjoying it, but there reason for using that model imo is due to the legacy they have built with previous games.

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

Nem said:
  • The community is very agressive (though i'm starting to think this is happening across the board on MMO's, but due to the grindy nature of the game people will expect you to know everything the first time you step in a dungeon, so be prepared for alot of out of the game studying).

Just wanted to pick up on this one point here, which I too agree with and have a reason why... Warcraft.

Pre-Warcraft MMO's were a very 'niche' genre, but since its release MMO's have become more mainstream. 

Long time ago I was a sort of 'kid looking through a window' at those playing MMO's, hearing these stories and such. Always wanted to play one and eventually I did and it was Warcraft (like about 10 million others) and we learnt that trade. Now many of those are moving on still thriving for that MMO and try the new ones coming out, and alot of them (us) have an elitist attitude towards others, as we have played that genre alot, know what to do and expect others to do the same and dont have the patience for those who dont.

Sme may argue my point, but pre-Warcraft, what was the most paying subscribers an MMO had? (I honestly dont know, before I played Warcraft I heard stories involving SWG and UO). Warcraft made MMO's mainstream.

Ernest Hemmingway

Around the Network

The thing I hate about FFXIV is the monthly fee, I will never pay an online subscription of just one game. I played the Beta on the beginning on my PC and I really like it alot, the graphics are great, the music, the gameplay is really spot on. But that monthly fee!! I just hate paying monthly fee for a game for example WoW ughhhh.

I only played a very early beta of the first version of FF14 when I got a code from Square Enix. Didn't play very much, it was very buggy then (it was a beta after all), and I didn't have time for a MMO.

I remember the world though, and the places looked really nice. A Realm Reborn fixes a LOT of things, I've heard.

But yeah, if you haven't played FF before this is an online game, unlike the rest except XI. Of course I assume you realize this but just to point it out again.

Yep.

Buying it is very much worth every cent. I bought it and finished the main story mode in less than a month, and was able to experience much of what the game had to offer within those 30 days of free trial. So yes buy it! If you don't want to pay every month then don't, you don't need to if you just want to play the main campaign. If that's the only thing you're after. That's what I did. I bought the game just to play it like an ordinary RPG game with online functionality and stopped when I finished the main campaign. lol.

Kowan said:
Buying it is very much worth every cent. I bought it and finished the main story mode in less than a month, and was able to experience much of what the game had to offer within those 30 days of free trial. So yes buy it! If you don't want to pay every month then don't, you don't need to if you just want to play the main campaign. If that's the only thing you're after. That's what I did. I bought the game just to play it like an ordinary RPG game with online functionality and stopped when I finished the main campaign. lol.

Well, I dunno about that... the quests in an MMO tend to be very linear (go kill X aount of Y and come back, etc etc) and you in an MMO you'll do that alot and not at all in a non-MMO RPG. Just playing an MMO as a non-MMO RPG would be quite mundane. In MMO's from my experience, questing and even going through the story is just an end to a means, which is to get to the max level, where the game begins if you play with others atleast.

Ernest Hemmingway

Brutalyst said:
Kowan said:

Well, I dunno about that... the quests in an MMO tend to be very linear (go kill X aount of Y and come back, etc etc) and you in an MMO you'll do that alot and not at all in a non-MMO RPG. Just playing an MMO as a non-MMO RPG would be quite mundane. In MMO's from my experience, questing and even going through the story is just an end to a means, which is to get to the max level, where the game begins if you play with others atleast.

I enjoyed evey minute of my playthrough of it. And since it is an MMO, you won't be able to finish the main campaign if you don't play with others. The quests never bothered me since I've done more tedious ones in normal offline JRPGs/RPGs and I found the story great enough to keep going and finish any quests I could find. I had tons of help from the community too, yes there were jerks here and there but thankfully, a lot gave me support after my encounters with them and eventually I was able to finish specific dungeons and even fetch quests with the help of other people. It was really nice to suddenly be offered help by some random player if you're apparently struggling on a quest or just simply passing by. Those things made those mundane or linear quests very much worth it. Of course it would help if you also had real life friends playing the game as well.