By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can someone explain FF XIV to me?

Tagged games:

Hurr1cane said:
Do PS3, PS4 and pc players play together? Are there any differences besides looks between PS3 and PS4? Thinking about buying this game on PS3.

I'd recommend PS4 or PC, PS3 people couldn't even do T5 raid until SE "fixed" the twister mechanic, controller is pretty much just good for gathering and crafting, and not so good for other things, some melee people like the gamepad better cause they think they can move better with it, which is balls false.

Around the Network
Justagamer said:
I played the beta, and I can't, for the life of me, find anything enjoyable out of the game. It's boring, ugly, and just not what I want final fantasy to be..... Ever.

It doesn't get interesting until a little later since you are mostly in tutorial mode before level 30 IMO.

Just bought the game for the PS4 here. Never played a MMO before so should be interesting anyway

Squall_Leonhart said:
Just bought the game for the PS4 here. Never played a MMO before so should be interesting anyway

Same here, first MMO for a game console ever. Hell, first Final Fantasy game ever! Getting really excited, just have to wait till June, after the E3. Hoping for pricecuts/interesting bundles.

Once you entered you won't be the same anymore. A blog about life.

http://seetheworlddifferent.wordpress.com/

ImmortalHelixFossil said:
Squall_Leonhart said:

Same here, first MMO for a game console ever. Hell, first Final Fantasy game ever! Getting really excited, just have to wait till June, after the E3. Hoping for pricecuts/interesting bundles.

I am looking forward to E3 too, always stay up to watch it (no choice here in the UK) incase something brilliant gets announced!

I also plan to get ESO since I really enjoyed Skyrim so this will let me see how MMO's work and whether they are for me or not.

Around the Network
dahuman said:

Dragoon is the more versitile compared to a Monk when it comes to pure combat and has higher burst and high sustained damage whereas Monks excel at single target dps fights where the boss has a higher stable up time, but like any MMO, ranged will always be easier, espeically if you are a Bard since you can attack on the move at ranged which no other class can, but comes at the cost of lower dps while having the best support abilities compared to a Black Mage or a Summoner.

You will always want a Bard in a raid, and most times a Black Mage, but not always the others is what it comes down to if you really want to get into it, for the songs and big AoE nukes. Melees are your high single target dps guys, and Summoners are very good for certain fights as well but not always needed unless you want that Miasma slow for Coil T7.

You underrate Monk and Summoner. Summoner does best DPS in game, hands down. Not sure why Miasma slow is note worthy for T7 though.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

FFXIV is a mid average MMO. It doesnt do anything terribly wrong, but it doesnt do anything terribly well.

I would say the bad points in my opinion are:

• It can get very grindy.
  • The community is very agressive (though i'm starting to think this is happening across the board on MMO's, but due to the grindy nature of the game people will expect you to know everything the first time you step in a dungeon, so be prepared for alot of out of the game studying).
  • The global cooldown is slower than other MMO's. Its 2.5 seconds opposed to the 1 to 1.5 of other popular MMO's like WoW and SWTOR.

The good:

• You can level every class with one character. Changing classes is as easy as changing weapons and all features are there like gear sets.
  • The game does not miss any major feature. Everything you would expect of an MMO today, FFXIV has. Dungeon finder, PVP, end game raiding, housing, crafting,etc.
  • The graphics are pretty. Theres nothing like taking a stroll on costa del sol during the day and taking in the vistas.

I played it for a month at launch then stopped after getting to 50. Then i came back last january and leveled 6 more classes, but i recently left the game again.
Why? Well, the minus point that i talked about where you need to study the game outside the game was the straw that broke the camels back. I dont have fun studying games. I spent alot of time studying and quite honestly, i am sick of it. The player inside expect me to know the fast run when i first go into a dungeon. I just dont have the patience for it. Its too much work and too time consuming for too little reward. I prefer to invest my time on something i can enjoy without having to spend so much of my time to get to the questionably enjoyable part.

I guess what i'm trying to say is: I dont mind the game, but the people there ruin it for me. Also, my usual guild from other games was not interested in it, and the guilds i tried to join were all very childish, so i got put off.

EB1994 said:
RavenXtra said:
EB1994 said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I was responding to.

World of Warcraft does that? I though thought it was just a monthly subscription then you can play...

Damn that sucks lol

Damn, what cavern were you in?? XD

Not only wow does that, but every major expansion also cost $60. That means if you bought every expansion at their launch, you payed about $300.

But after some time they add the expansion pack to the game pack, so today you can buy Game+The Burning Crusade+Wrath of the Lick King+Cataclysm together for a small price, and there will be only one expansion pack to buy besides that. Then you pay the sub.

vkaraujo said:

Damn, what cavern were you in?? XD

Not only wow does that, but every major expansion also cost $60. That means if you bought every expansion at their launch, you payed about $300.

But after some time they add the expansion pack to the game pack, so today you can buy Game+The Burning Crusade+Wrath of the Lick King+Cataclysm together for a small price, and there will be only one expansion pack to buy besides that. Then you pay the sub.

I don't really play subscription based games. Only one I've ever subscribed to was a game called Runescape. Everything else was F2P such as League and Warframe.

Nem said:

FFXIV is a mid average MMO. It doesnt do anything terribly wrong, but it doesnt do anything terribly well.

I would say the bad points in my opinion are:

• It can get very grindy.
  • The community is very agressive (though i'm starting to think this is happening across the board on MMO's, but due to the grindy nature of the game people will expect you to know everything the first time you step in a dungeon, so be prepared for alot of out of the game studying).
  • The global cooldown is slower than other MMO's. Its 2.5 seconds opposed to the 1 to 1.5 of other popular MMO's like WoW and SWTOR.

The good:

• You can level every class with one character. Changing classes is as easy as changing weapons and all features are there like gear sets.
  • The game does not miss any major feature. Everything you would expect of an MMO today, FFXIV has. Dungeon finder, PVP, end game raiding, housing, crafting,etc.
  • The graphics are pretty. Theres nothing like taking a stroll on costa del sol during the day and taking in the vistas.

I played it for a month at launch then stopped after getting to 50. Then i came back last january and leveled 6 more classes, but i recently left the game again.
Why? Well, the minus point that i talked about where you need to study the game outside the game was the straw that broke the camels back. I dont have fun studying games. I spent alot of time studying and quite honestly, i am sick of it. The player inside expect me to know the fast run when i first go into a dungeon. I just dont have the patience for it. Its too much work and too time consuming for too little reward. I prefer to invest my time on something i can enjoy without having to spend so much of my time to get to the questionably enjoyable part.

I guess what i'm trying to say is: I dont mind the game, but the people there ruin it for me. Also, my usual guild from other games was not interested in it, and the guilds i tried to join were all very childish, so i got put off.

People do expect you to know the dungeon or run, but if you don't and ask for help, then people will generally assist. I never watch videos or how to things outside of turn 5 and turn 7 because the fights are very difficult. No need to study outside the game since there are plenty of learning parties and thousands of players and FCs to help you through the way.

ETA: I learned to OT Levi Extreme on my first run attempting. My teammates explained it and I did fine. My most recent example of learning on the go rather than learning outside the game.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.