By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Stardock CEO - DirectX 12 to end Xbox One Resolution Woes

It's kind of amazing, when you think about it, how far behind software is in general when compared to hardware advances. Multi-core processors have thrown everyone for a loop. Just shows how much untapped potential our hardware still has left.

People are getting a bit too riled up about this on both sides, though, and those hailing DX12 as the XO savior aren't helping. The PS4 will be advancing forward at the same time. This is natural and expected. I'll be happy when the XO and PS4 have the same resolution on new games.

Around the Network

The CPU isn't what limits resolution. Overall quality, perhaps, but from what I understand resolution is a shader and ROP problem and the PS4 has far more of both. Assuming equal software optimisation and equal image quality, the PS4 will have a higher output resolution every time.

MS fans must therefore be claiming Xbox One with DX12 will be much better optimised than PS4 at the same point in time. Is that really likely?

Dat secr3tz sauce.

So this is going to allow the xbone to do its dx tasks in parallel? Shocked it does not already do this to be honest.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

So I guess we will have to wait for a year or so for this to happen.

method114 said:
First we heard the new dev kits would fix the 1080p problem, now it's DX12 that will fix the 1080p problem....this is just getting ridiculous. MS just needs to let the resolution thing go and stop talking about graphics. I feel like at this point they are just doing more harm than good. If they never end up getting this fixed the damage they do to their reputation will be even worse.

This is the other problem. People see everything wrote or said as if its something from Microsoft. This guy does not work for Microsoft.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
The CPU isn't what limits resolution. Overall quality, perhaps, but from what I understand resolution is a shader and ROP problem and the PS4 has far more of both. Assuming equal software optimisation and equal image quality, the PS4 will have a higher output resolution every time.

MS fans must therefore be claiming Xbox One with DX12 will be much better optimised than PS4 at the same point in time. Is that really likely?

My exact same throughts. What does spreading draw calls out over multiple cpu cores have to do with the resolution the GPU resolves those draw calls at. The GPU and the esram buffer are the bottlenecks, not the cpu. Maybe the cpu gets overburdened while handling tiling to work around the esram limit?

The thing that will increase the performance and resolution of games is tiled resources, not DX12. With tiled resources every game will hit 1080p without a hit to the performance. DX12 will just be the icing on the cake.

Vasto said:
method114 said:
First we heard the new dev kits would fix the 1080p problem, now it's DX12 that will fix the 1080p problem....this is just getting ridiculous. MS just needs to let the resolution thing go and stop talking about graphics. I feel like at this point they are just doing more harm than good. If they never end up getting this fixed the damage they do to their reputation will be even worse.

This is the other problem. People see everything wrote or said as if its something from Microsoft. This guy does not work for Microsoft.

He said to one guy to ask MS directly or at a dev event because he had been told by MS.. he used the words "I am just the messenger" which suggests that he doesnt or hasnt had any direct benefit of what he's preaching... or thats how it seems in the tweets.

It is going to improve, there is no doubt.., but it's the general internet secret sauce type quotes that is not helping anyone.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

I keep hearing x y and z about how the xbox one will do all of this amazing stuff.

hearing, not seeing.

michael_stutzer said:
The thing that will increase the performance and resolution of games is tiled resources, not DX12. With tiled resources every game will hit 1080p without a hit to the performance.

Explain.

I'm particularly interested in why a process that takes away esram space will increase the resolution (increasing resolution = more esram required).