By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I never played a Zelda game in my life.

What do ?

Kill yourself. 112 31.37%

Buy a N64. 32 8.96%

Buy a Gamecube. 11 3.08%

Buy a Wii. 28 7.84%

Buy a WiiU. 125 35.01%

Zelda is bad, don't play it. 48 13.45%

Total:356

I was the same way until OoT remake came out on the 3DS.

Around the Network
vivster said:
badgenome said:
Play A Link to the Past.

Then stop.

It worked for me.

This

Noooo.....

Play all of them, you have played the single worst Zelda game in the entire series with PH already, so it is just getting better.

Oh, and AlttP is my least favourite 2D Zelda game bar the first and second on the NES .

Link´s Awakening, the Oracle games, the Minish Cap and A link between worlds are much more fun to play .

TheKoreanGuy said:
spemanig said:
You have a 3DS. First play A Link Between Worlds, then Ocarina of Time 3D. If you decide to get a Wii U instead, Wind Waker is the greatest Zelda ever created, and everything else will feel like a let down after that.

Umm NOPE. It's a very good one but OoT, Majora's Mask, Link to the Past, Oracle games, and TP are all better Zelda games. I'm still deciding on where ALBW stands. Some people overrate Wind Waker way too high. 

OT - Virtual Console is your friend at this point. On 3DS, you can find the both NES games and all GameBoy games, plus the newest Zelda game. If you have an older DS model, you can play Minish Cap on that. Getting a Wii will allow you to play A Link to the Past, OoT, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword right out of the box. So in short, I would get a used Wii for really cheap.

Nope. No they aren't. Wind Waker is better than all of them. Especially better than Twilight Princess, the worst 3D Zelda by a land slide. The only one I don't have an opinion on is Majora's Mask as haven't played it yet. Wind Waker is more than just that good. It's one of the, if not the, greatest video games of all time. Especially with Wind Waker HD being a perfect remake of a nearly perfect game.

If you want to see if you like the series play "A Link to the Past" for 2D and "Ocarina of Time" for 3D.

I really feel bad for someone who played "Phantom Hourglass" as their introduction. Rare Zelda game I did not care for.

On 3DS you can play:
-Ocarina of Time 3D
-A Link Between Worlds
-Oracle of Ages/Seasons (VC)
-Link's Awakening (VC)
-The Legend of Zelda (VC)
-Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (VC)

Get a Wii U and you can play
-Skyward Sword
-Twilight Princess
-Wind Waker HD
-A Link to the Past (VC)

With your 3DS alone you can try out many of the 2D games and (in my opinion) the best 3D Zelda (Ocarina of Time). Get a Wii U and you'll have access to almost every main game in the series.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Around the Network
spemanig said:

Nope. No they aren't. Wind Waker is better than all of them. Especially better than Twilight Princess, the worst 3D Zelda by a land slide. The only one I don't have an opinion on is Majora's Mask as haven't played it yet. Wind Waker is more than just that good. It's one of the, if not the, greatest video games of all time. Especially with Wind Waker HD being a perfect remake of a nearly perfect game.

What are you basing that on? I go for game mechanics, clever dungeon design, boss battles, fluidity of the overworld. Wind Waker doesn't excel at all of these imo.

Augen said:
If you want to see if you like the series play "A Link to the Past" for 2D and "Ocarina of Time" for 3D.

I really feel bad for someone who played "Phantom Hourglass" as their introduction. Rare Zelda game I did not care for.

I always see people that have only played Phantom Hourglass. It must be that much of a turnoff. 

Clyde32 said:

I always see people that have only played Phantom Hourglass. It must be that much of a turnoff. 

That is truly depressing.  I adore the series and I had a hard time with it.

Go play Link´s Awakening DX on the 3DS´ Virtual Console.

I´d say it is the best of the 2D Zeldas....maybe a tie with A Link between worlds.

You can thank us afterwards.

I'd say for newcomers to the series the best game to jump into is Ocarina of Time.

The game is probably the most accessible to new players and it establishes the most important things about the series' lore. It's also probably the most balanced game of all. There's no element in it that's fishy; as dungeon design, the story, the world and everything else are all good to excellent. Since you have a 3DS, that works out great, get OoT3D.

If you also want to experience what the 2D games are like usually, A Link Between Worlds on 3DS is a good substitute for A Link to the Past, though it builds on story elements from different games. The 3DS also has the two NES and three GameBoy Zelda's on Virtual Console. The very first game on NES may be a good one to start with, snce that was the first game period, but it's extremely difficult and extremely outdated. It's not what Zelda is anymore. I'd especially recommend Link's Awakening because it's brilliant, but since it's a more complicated game I wouldn't suggest it to people unfamiliar with the story and basics of the series.

I wouldn't go buying new systems for a series you've never tried. Buy a WiiU until the new original console Zelda comes out, if you end up liking the series. Wind Waker HD by itself isn't really worth it, if you're not into the series.

Haven't read the whole thread in detail, so I probably am repeated stuff already said, but this is my two cents .