By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 games and the lack of 1080p

Troll_Monster said:
epsilon72 said:
totalwar23 said:
epsilon72 said:
I'm surprised this thread has gone on for so long.

The PS3 (or RSX, more specifically) simply does not have the horsepower to render modern-looking games in 1920x1080 at a respectable framerate.

It just won't happen.

Well, according to MikeB, the Cell can just make that limitation magically disappear.

Heheh....I remember the days when graphics were dependant on CPU power. Those days are long gone.

you do know that the CELL was designed to be able to heavily assist the RSX with graphics, infact the PS3 was enitially going to have 2 cells CPU with on of the cells doing the graphical work but this was scrapped because it would cost more than just having a dedicated graphics chip.

From what I've read on tech forums where real developers post, one thing they do allot of with CELL is back face culling, in essence the algorithim removs all non-visable geometry from the scene before it's sent to the GPU to be rendered, this takes allot of redundant strain from the GPU, which frees up GPU resources to allow more graphical effects to be rendered on screen.

So in this regard the CPU is indeed helping with graphics, and this is what the RSX+CELL combo were designed to do.

I have heard that, and I've also seen some impressive tech demos using the cell heavily for graphics - it's just that unfortunately most devs aren't really trying that hard to bring that potential out.  Still, they'd have to off-load a lot of stuff to the cell to make anything 1080p obtainable.

Around the Network

You know the phrase "a sucker is born every second"

If anything, this thread has proved it. The fact that people buy into such an obvious marketing ploy as "Full HD" is sad, especially when you see "I thought only bluray could do 1080p", or just about everything MikeB has posted.

Speaking of which, its hysterical that he brings up Mass Effect and its problems with texture streaming, yet ignores how Uncharted has the exact same problem.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

It does amaze me the sheer amount of ignorance displayed on this thread about how tech spec's and etc work.

sieanr said:
You know the phrase "a sucker is born every second"

If anything, this thread has proved it. The fact that people buy into such an obvious marketing ploy as "Full HD" is sad, especially when you see "I thought only bluray could do 1080p", or just about everything MikeB has posted.

Speaking of which, its hysterical that he brings up Mass Effect and its problems with texture streaming, yet ignores how Uncharted has the exact same problem.

You know MikeB, he loves to hickjack a thread just to prove how great is the PS3, "da power of da cell" and how bad is the 360... 

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Soriku said:
shams said:
Wasn't the PS3 going to run two monitors, full 1080p - at 100fps locked? What happened to that?

Note that this *was* originally promised by Kaz, when the PS3 was first announced. And now it doesn't even have true 1080p games - and even fewer that run 1080p at 60fps (locked).

Kaz promised 120 FPS IIRC. Why they would do 120 FPS I don't know because LCDs and HDTVs can only render 70 FPS MAX so having more than 70 FPS is a waste of time and effort.

actually Samsung's newest line of HDTVs does 120FPS

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Soriku said:
shams said:
Wasn't the PS3 going to run two monitors, full 1080p - at 100fps locked? What happened to that?

Note that this *was* originally promised by Kaz, when the PS3 was first announced. And now it doesn't even have true 1080p games - and even fewer that run 1080p at 60fps (locked).

Kaz promised 120 FPS IIRC. Why they would do 120 FPS I don't know because LCDs and HDTVs can only render 70 FPS MAX so having more than 70 FPS is a waste of time and effort.

actually Samsung's newest line of HDTVs does 120FPS

Its 120 hertz, not "120 fps".

Big difference. 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

They just insert frames inbetween every 60hz frame for those displays. They aren't true 120 frames-per-second displays, one reason being that HDMI doesn't have the bandwidth for that much data.

God of War III will have 1080p graphics.
I dont know how technology works in that department, but like many have said it takes time.

Games on the case of the xbox 360 may say 1080p,
but to reach TrueHD 1080p you need a high definition disc, and HDMI 1.3a.

Xbox360 uses a standard definition disc, and HDMI 1.2.
so even with the HD-DVD add-on, ur still not getting 1080p.
360 can only go up to 1080i.

Sony knows technology, and their console is infact built for the future.
So dont worry, more games with 1080p on ps3 will come.
Im not worried because they have already reached 1080p graphics with the ps3's launch titles. Where as the 360 did not even have HDMI when it launched.

DogWeed said:
God of War III will have 1080p graphics.
I dont know how technology works in that department, but like many have said it takes time.

Games on the case of the xbox 360 may say 1080p,
but to reach TrueHD 1080p you need a high definition disc, and HDMI 1.3a.

Xbox360 uses a standard definition disc, and HDMI 1.2.
so even with the HD-DVD add-on, ur still not getting 1080p.
360 can only go up to 1080i.

Sony knows technology, and their console is infact built for the future.
So dont worry, more games with 1080p on ps3 will come.
Im not worried because they have already reached 1080p graphics with the ps3's launch titles. Where as the 360 did not even have HDMI when it launched.

Wow man!

God of War III will have 1080p graphics no doubt, if that's what they're aiming for, as there are several 1080p PS3 games already, someone posted a link about that.

Keep in mind that 1080p doesn't mean 1920x1080, it just means 1080 pixels of vertical resolution, the one the human eye is most sensitive to.

Like I said, only 3 XB360 games are 1080p. They can lie on the box all they want (putting the upscaled resolution is useless, but would be bad PR if they wrote 600p for Halo 3 on the box, which is just 25% more than 480p of the Wii), that doesn't make their other games 1080p.

But try to educate yourself, I don't know what TrueHD is, but even HDMI 1.0 can output 1080p, so what you're saying is wrong.

HappySqurriel said:

We're rapidly approaching the 18 month point and the PS3 has yet to demonstrate anything dramatically better than the XBox 360 (and it is rapidly losing ground to the PC); don't you think it is about time that you accept the fact that the Cell's processing power is mainly a marketing gimick, and that you will never see the kind of improvements you have been preaching for all these months?

Well I don't see any games on the XBox 360 that look as good as Uncharted.  This is my opinion and to me it's very valid.  So far, the 360 has displayed some nice looking and playing games, but with Uncharted alone, all these games graphically/technically are blown out the water.

Now you may ask, if Uncharted is demonstrating dramatically more or not?  Well it's all a matter of opinion, but IMHO, Uncharted alone shows a difference between the 360 and PS3.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)