By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 games and the lack of 1080p

zackblue said:
rocketpig said:
CrazzyMan said:
Why are they few games in 1080p on PS3?

WHY God of War 2 OWNS most PS2 games in graphics? =)

Simple, it`s needed MORE time for NEW technology to achieve 1080p. =)

Tell that to PC gamers.

Well the problem is the PS3 is not a pc, therefore you cant just port it over to the ps3. Different architecture which you have to figure out before achieving anything.

The thing is that PC gamers have been playing games at the equivalent resolution of 1080p for a few years. Now top-end rigs are turning resolutions twice that high.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
MikeB said:
Slimebeast said:
d21lewis said:
1080p isn't really a dealbreaker, or some holy grail of picture quality. Sony made a big deal about it in the beginning because 1080p was supposed to be something that the 360 couldn't do. Really, the differences between 720p and 1080 are invisible to the average consumer.

I agree. Resolution is overrated, because people lack knowledge about graphics and what makes them look good. There are so many factors that contribute to good graphics, like the effects anti aliasing (to remove jaggies), anisotrofic filtering, colors, high dynamic lighting, nice shadows, texture quality, quality of geometry and number of polygons and probably a few more effects that I can't recall right now or ain't familiar with.

I don't think resolution is overrated, you are able to see more details. Like for instance when a spaceship is far away in the distance, higher resolution also helps with regard to jaggies like AA but with better detail.

You can add smart manual color selection for art to that list, you can spot jaggies because of high level of contrast between neighbouring pixels, the various AA techniques are aimed to reduce this contrast.

IMO 720p at solid 30 FPS should be minimal for the high def consoles, that's why many are surprised a high profile big budget exclusive game like Halo 3 was only running in 640p without AA (not really relevant to those playing on old TVs) while also noticeably dropping frames in parts of the game. The PS3 is able to go higher when game engines are fully matured.

I don't recall a single frame-rate drop in the entire campaign, neither does my brother, who played it through on legendary.  So far, we don't have a single, tangible indication that the PS3 is more powerful than the 360.  Though it may be true, this doesn't bode well for your constant assertions that we will see a significant difference in capability this generation.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Username2324 said:
Show me 1 game on the 360 that runs in 1080p at a decent framerate,

On a side note, just because the games are programmed at 720p doesn't mean they won't look good on a 1080p screen, and then there are Blu-ray movies that are 1080p, so I would still get a 1080p screen for movie use and future games, I believe GT5 will be 1080p.

NBA Street Homecourt.  If EA can do it, anyone can.

Dno said:

first off only about 3 games on 360 are true 1080p. Microsoft upscales..... games on the ps3 (ninja gaiden, Lair, Virtua Tennis, Ridge Racer, NBA07 and 08 etc) are TRUE 1080p. There is no way to do 1080p correctly on a DVD9 is just to hard.

Most xbox games are 640p (halo 3, Call of duty 4etc) not even 720p like the STANDARD for ps3 games. Sony puts the res on the box that it is native in.. microsoft outs 480p-1080p on ALL boxes because it upscales and does not look the same but still good......

Call of Duty 4 was the same resolution the the PS3 as it was on the 360.  You'll find that only a small percentage of PS3 retail games are in native 1080p.  This actually gives an advantage to the Xbox 360, as it's game resolution scaling abilities are better......

rocketpig said:
zackblue said:
rocketpig said:
CrazzyMan said:
Why are they few games in 1080p on PS3?

WHY God of War 2 OWNS most PS2 games in graphics? =)

Simple, it`s needed MORE time for NEW technology to achieve 1080p. =)

Tell that to PC gamers.

Well the problem is the PS3 is not a pc, therefore you cant just port it over to the ps3. Different architecture which you have to figure out before achieving anything.

The thing is that PC gamers have been playing games at the equivalent resolution of 1080p for a few years. Now top-end rigs are turning resolutions twice that high.

With graphics of same quality as Uncharted? With how much RAMs? =)) 512? =)))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
PDF said:
************QUESTION****************

Cant only blu-ray and hd-dvd(dead) run 1080p

So couldnt only the people that had a hd-dvd drive on the 360 run it on 1080p
Since not everyone had a hd-dvd drive then they could only reasonably make their games on regualr dvd formats?

Answer:

NO....the output res is no tied to the physical media...

The PS3 and the 360 can do 1080, but so far most of the devs don't do this because framerate issues... and probably very few games will achieve this resolution...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
PDF said:
FJ-Warez said:
PDF said:

Since not everyone had a hd-dvd drive then they could only reasonably make their games on regualr dvd formats?

Answer:

The PS3 and the 360 can do 1080, but so far most of the devs don't do this because framerate issues... and probably very few games will achieve this resolution...

PS3 games are made on blu-ray. What are 360 games made on?

Last time I checked, Dual Layer DVDs but what does have to do with topic on hand?

PDF said:
FJ-Warez said:
PDF said:

Answer:

PS3 games are made on blu-ray. What are 360 games made on?

They are "made" in PCs/Devkits, then they are "stored" in physical media, like a dvd or a blu-ray... again, the physical media is not a wall between a game and the 1080 output...

The power of the consoles is the wall...

Don't believe me?? read the quotes from the post of a Tomb Raider dev, is a few posts up... near the top...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

I'm surprised this thread has gone on for so long.

The PS3 (or RSX, more specifically) simply does not have the horsepower to render modern-looking games in 1920x1080 at a respectable framerate.

It just won't happen.

epsilon72 said:
I'm surprised this thread has gone on for so long.

The PS3 (or RSX, more specifically) simply does not have the horsepower to render modern-looking games in 1920x1080 at a respectable framerate.

It just won't happen.

Well, according to MikeB, the Cell can just make that limitation magically disappear.