By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Pros and Cons of Releasing SSB4 on 3DS First

Tagged games:

Is releasing the 3DS version doing Nintendo more bad than good?

Yes, the Wii U needs to b... 39 62.90%

Nope, the 3DS needs to ma... 23 37.10%

Total:62
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

The pros:

- More people owns a 3DS, thus the game will have more exposure
- The 3DS will have a system seller
- It creates anticipation (a.k.a. hype) for the "real deal"
- People who were considering skipping the 3DS version will have a reason to buy it

The cons:

- A few impatient gamers will skip the Wii U version and settle with the handheld version
- People will misinterpret this into thinking Nintendo consider Wii U second priority

Is this the summary of what he posted in his link? I really don't want to click on a link with the letters 'I', 'G', and 'N' in succession. 

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

The pros:

- More people owns a 3DS, thus the game will have more exposure
- The 3DS will have a system seller
- It creates anticipation (a.k.a. hype) for the "real deal"
- People who were considering skipping the 3DS version will have a reason to buy it

The cons:

- A few impatient gamers will skip the Wii U version and settle with the handheld version
- People will misinterpret this into thinking Nintendo consider Wii U second priority

Is this the summary of what he posted in his link? I really don't want to click on a link with the letters 'I', 'G', and 'N' in succession. 

No, the summary is in the poll.

Smash is a multiplayer game. The whole point of Smash is to play it with other people, usually in person. So, the Wii U version, for people who own both consoles, will definitely be the version to buy.

IF someone was going to buy a Wii U solely for Smash, the 3DS version probably isn't going to effect things much. That kind of gamer is probably the kind who was really into the multiplayer aspect of the game and will wait for the Wii U version, or is such a big gamer that he's going to buy both versions. I just don't see someone who was going to spend 360 dollars to play smash on Wii U going like "oh a 3DS version? I'm good now."

There are some more casual Smash fans who will only buy one version, and in this way the 3DS version will potentially take away from the Wii version initially. Of course, that person was unlikely to buy a Wii U just for Smash. For this gamer, Smash on the 3DS might serve as an additional enticement for the Wii U, particularly if the connectivity is strong.

Spacing between the two versions is a good thing. Asking people to spend 100 dollars on day one is a big deal. Spreading the releases out eases the blow on the wallet, and enables the 3DS version to be a more effective ad for the Wii U version. OMG this is amazing. Wait, there's an HD version with different modes, stages, more music, and I can play it with other people? Throughout the Wii era, DS and Wii versions of similar games lived in harmony. Granted, none of those games were quite as similar as the two smashes. Ideally, the Wii U version would have come first, but c'est la vie.

The element that people are missing in this debate is that the 3DS also needs help. People seem to think just because the 3DS is crushing it's direct competition that it's doing fine. The 3DS is not doing fine. It's falling far short of where it needs to be to assure Nintendo a healthy profit, particularly with how their home console is doing. The 3DS has fewer big games this year than the Wii U. The Wii U will have Mario Kart in late May, which will serve as its big summer game. The 3DS will have Mario Golf and Kirby. The former will sell 1-1.5 million most likely, and Kirby will sell 2 million or so, but has already released in Japan. The 3DS needs a hardware booster. The fact that the hardcore Smash fans have always been on Nintendo consoles might open up Smash to a new audience on handhelds.

So, yeah. I don't think it's a big deal. I think people were overestimating the effect Smash would have on hardware while also misunderstanding the appeal of the gamer. I do think the Wii U version would be better for July, but I guess it wasn't to be.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

No, the summary is in the poll.

Really? If so, those are pretty conflicting points. 

I still haven't decided which option I'll choose, if one at all.

On the pro side the 3DS version will get the hype train going for SSBU.

On the con side if most Ninty fans get their fix early with the 3DS version it could have a negative impact on SSBU sales since Nintendo is essentially relying on the same audience to pick up the same (or similar) game twice. And being that the 3DS has a much higher install base, I doubt the casuals / expanded audience will flock to the Wii U for SSB when they can get their fix much cheaper via 2/3DS.

The big indicator will be Mario Kart 8... if the Wii U continues to struggle in sales even after this game's release then not even SSBU can save it.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

There is no advantage to this. A failed system is worse than failed game.

they MUST give wii U version for free for who register a new wii U and the 3DS version of smash.
MUST including large more content
and price cut/ mario kart bundle
everybody who owns the 3ds's will consider to get a wii U.

In the end, we're all conjecturing on the matter, and only time will tell.

However, to answer multiple posts without being able to efficiently quote them all: no, the summary of my thoughts is not quite the poll, nor is it as simple as someone else abbreviated into bullet points.

I see both sides, and I understand how it could work, but unfortunately, the Wii U's biggest problem is still its image. If the Wii U was selling like the PS4 (or even half as good), and the general public viewed the Wii U with positive regard, I would see the move to release the 3DS version as a good thing.

And I figured there'd be some people who hate IGN around here, lol... And I considered copy-and-paste, yet found the text to get jacked up when I paste it over, and have no clue why...

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
BasilZero said:
Lets see....pros and cons imo....

Pros: Basil gets to play Smash bros on his 3DS this summer

Yep sounds good to me!

That's part of my concern, lol... ARE you going to buy the Wii U version also?!  You'd better!  Or else I'll be proven right...

And no one likes a guy who turns out right... right?

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/

To be honest, I wasn't planning to buy a Wii U to play smash or any game right now. So I was getting the 3ds version regardless of whether or not it released before the Wii U version or not. Eventually, when I get a Wii U, I'll get the Wii U version also, just to play on a big screen, but right now I can't find enough time to warrant buying another console, particularly one which has no exclusives I must buy it for. Now when Zelda, Metroid, or some other Nintendo games I must buy a console for are announced for the Wii U, then I'll buy one. So ultimately the sales this would have affected are the hardcore smash fans, and they'll buy both games regardless, because they're by definition "hardcore smash fans."