By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash on 3DS releases first and has it's own unique game mode. Does Nintendo realize the message that gives about Wii U?

Why anyone would think that putting Smash bros Wii U into a position to gain from a winter sales boon is not an amazing idea is beyond me.

Around the Network
trestres said:

Wii U is simply dead. This direct added more depth to the hole the console's buried at.

Simply unimaginably bad. What are they going to release until the Holidays? Probably 1 game in October, seeing that MK8 will be "enough" for Iwata and co. and that the main focus is the 3DS, again, crapping all over those who bought their main console at full price, by the promise of great games coming out frequently.

Wonder how they are gonna get away with this when Investors start asking in the upcoming End of FY meeting. Things are gonna get nasty, as after MK8, there is NO game with a set release date. Never before had that happened. Nintendo is releasing less and less games for its main console as time goes by.

Shows that they are not trustworthy at all. Who will buy their next console given their recent track record?

Finally, that "Winter 2014" means up until March 20th. Wouldn't surprise me if March 20th is indeed the actual release date, as its close to the end of the FY.
I expect it to be an early 2015 title. And where's the single player mode? If there's none, that's a no buy for me.

I agree completely -  and they will ave a very hard time launching  next console for the reasons you gave-  the ironic thing is some of the biggest Nintendonsupporters/ defenders still have not bought a Wii u yet-   They already knw better -  

I will never by a Nintendo console at or near launch again ( if at all).  They are not an honest group/ company and they have yet to give any real effort to making the Wii u a viable console for this generation 

Admit it, most of you didn't want the 3DS version and now you're just complaining because you have to buy that one as well. That was Nintendo's plan all along.

They should have both released during the Winter. The 3DS is only going to steal sales from the Wii U version by coming out so much earlier. And if someone gets the 3DS version, and hates it, they're far less likely to get the Wii U version. Nintendo will net more money for doing this, but they're hurting the already terrible Wii U brand. It's time for sweeping changes to happen at Nintendo.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

The 3DS version is the appetizer. Of course it comes first. Fans would be more likely to upgrade than downgrade when it comes to buying both.

Around the Network

1. I've never EVER EVERY heard any company use the term winter 14 to refer to a release date outside of 2014. Fiscal year and sports year is really the only time I've seen dates work that way. Not saying it is impossible, but it would be a first as far as I know.

2. Believe it or not, but Nintendo needs the 3DS sales. They can't be like "nah we sold enough. We're done." They need some big releases this year, and IF the Wii U version isn't going to be ready until winter, they either delay 3DS version to 2015, or do a simultaneous release. I'm not sure where people got the idea that 3DS sales are perfectly acceptable because they really aren't.

3. -_-; The Wii U version will have its own modes. Are people criticizing Nintendo for giving customers a reason to buy multiple versions and making two systems stand apart? People complain about Sony doing the opposite all the time. Make up your minds.

4. HD development takes longer. And no, throwing more developers will not necessarily make things go faster. See diminishing returns.

5. I for one am kind of happy that I can play the 3DS version when its ready instead of it being delayed months for business reasons... If releasing it alongside the Wii U version was a bad idea.

6. No really, think about it. How would you feel if we found out the 3DS version was sitting on a cart waiting to be played but Nintendo was delaying it because they wanted the Wii U version out first. People are complaining that a game wasn't delayed... ok then...

BraveNewWorld said:
They should have both released during the Winter.  So... you want them to delay a game that's ready?  The 3DS is only going to steal sales from the Wii U version by coming out so much earlier. Nintendo makes money off of DS games... The profit margin is actually pretty similar... And if someone gets the 3DS version, and hates it, they're far less likely to get the Wii U version.  Uhhhh... and if they like it, they're far more likely to buy the Wii U version... I'm sure Nintendo is confident in the product based on what we saw today.  Nintendo will net more money for doing this, but they're hurting the already terrible Wii U brand. It's time for sweeping changes to happen at Nintendo.  So... you think Nintendo will net more money for doing this... which makes it time for sweeping changes?

Wow, crazy overreactions in this thread.

The only thing I will say about this is that just because the 3ds version has a unique game mode that has been announced doesn't mean the Wii U won't have its own unique features to more than compensate for it. I share the concerns about Wii U sales but not about the 3ds unique game mode announced somehow making the 3ds version eclipse the Wii U version...

Sell to the biggest market first... And hope that some of those people to will buy a Wii U to play that version. Pretty good strategy to be honest... Much better than a simultaneous release.

Also Wii U version takes longer to develop.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC