By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

The forums have proven time and time again that there aren't enough objective people on both sides of the fence to make a rational conclusion. Digital foundry all the way.

I still stand with great ART as the reason this game looks amazing. Forza 4 is 720p60 with 4x MSAA and more or less all the effects I've seen so far in MK8 on the 360 so Im not buying the technical achievement hype just yet.

I consider Little Big Planet 2 and Journey to look better than Killzone 3 on the PS3 due to ART. Even though Killzone 3 is obviously demanding more resources than either of the others

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network

It looks real nice. I can't wait to play this game. And I can say the music is pretty great too... Makes up for the lackluster soundtrack of the previous iteration.

SubiyaCryolite said:
Nem said:

And i have a PS4. Nothing out on it atm is as impressive as MK8. Yes I:SS looks good, but MK8 is a feast on the eyes. And at the end of the day, that is what matters.

Adding fuel to the flames. From a gameplay perspective Id agree but the other bit is wishful thinkng.

I'm not adding any fuel. My opinion is that computation power does not equal most visualy appealing graphics. As many people have said on this thread, design and art are a big part of making a game look good. The fact is, Nintendo does that in a masterful way. I am not gonna pretend that isnt true just cause i have a PS4 and also enjoy different kinds of games.

Now, i see posters that want to disdain that pretty clear conclusion just because the game is on a Nintendo system and they already decided that it cant qualitfy as "next-gen" because it doesnt have X RAM or Y TERAFLOPS. I merely dont let that bias blind me towards what is a very appealing game on every level. If that isnt what next-gen is supposed to be, then what is?

Nem said:
ICStats said:
Nem said:
JoeTheBro said:

Wow no no no no. Icstats was correct. The PS3 only uses about 50MB for the OS.

Your computer is the same way. You have maybe 8GB of system ram, but your OS is only taking a small chunk of that.

Are you sure any of that remaining RAM is used for games?

But then again you are contradcting yourself there. He said the PS3 has 512MB of RAM for games (not specifically but thats what he tried to say). We know that at least 50MB arent.

edit: alright i investigated the issue a bit more. The OS used to be 120MB but was later reduced to 52MB to free extra memory for developers. So, i guess games on the PS3 use 460MB. Thats the true available RAM for games... unless anymore is reserved for any other purposes.

Now you're arguing against what you think someone tried to say, even though they never said that?

I never mentioed OS/Game until you did, then you got corrected for being way off on that by 200+MB...

You said the PS4 uses 256 on main RAM and 256 on GPU against a post that claimed there were 256MB for games on the PS3.

It really isnt anyones else's fault if you are not beeing accurate.

Still blaming me after I was straightforward and provided a link showing the OS was 50MB?

That's a hell of an attidude.

My 8th gen collection

Hynad said:
the_dengle said:
ICStats said:
MarcellusMighty said:
You will be dismissed, because you're comparing off-screen to onscreen.

Does that change the technology used in the game?  No.

You should explain how that technology works, and why it is less taxing on the console than other technologies, and how you can tell Mario Mart 8 is using it. And you shouldn't use GTA V as a comparison, because I'm pretty sure that game isn't locked at 60 fps even during 2-player splitscreen, which it doesn't have. You have to compare like-for-like. Then people will listen.

Let's do that in reverse now shall we.

People claiming that Mario Kart 8 is such a technically advanced game should come forward and explain what makes it so advanced that it matches everything released so far on other 8th gen consoles (as many of you are claiming). And why this could never be achieved on 7th gen consoles. Tell us how that technology works, and why it is so more taxing on the console than other technologies, and how you can tell Mario Kart 8 is using it.

I'm sure it will be very insightful. ¬_¬

Not a knock on the game. Some of you are mistaking beautiful graphics with technical achievements, and are being unreasonably dense about it. It's only fair that you come forward and explain why you believe this game is such a powerhouse compared to anything else, and not just an artistically beautiful directed game.

I was just trying to be helpful, since it sounded like ICStats knew what he was talking about but he was having trouble getting his point across. This thread is somewhat lacking in technical analysis of the games being discussed. I don't know anything about such technical things, so I can't be much help, but I'm curious about the wizardry on display here.

Around the Network
ICStats said:
Nem said:

You said the PS4 uses 256 on main RAM and 256 on GPU against a post that claimed there were 256MB for games on the PS3.

It really isnt anyones else's fault if you are not beeing accurate.

What i said was about the PS3 hardware.  I never said "for games".

Even if i had (which I didn't) 512MB for games is off by 50MB or <10%.

Your "correction" of 256MB was off by 50%.  I provided a link to show the OS was 50MB, and JoeTheBro said the same thing.  It's not anyone's fault you are not being accurate.

Its not a competition to see who was wrong the most in %. I have no problems in admiting i was wrong. But you did quote someone and made a reply in response to what he said. It wasnt correct aswell.

This conversation is a bit petty though. Who was wrong the most in %. Why do you care about that? You tried to correct the guy. If you do that give a correct number, if you made a mistake i dont see what is so shocking in admiting you were wrong. But oh well... doesnt matter.

hated_individual said:
PlayStation 3 has 256MB of System RAM and 256MB of Video RAM... Video RAM serves same purpose as eDRAM in Xbox 360 thus it can not actually be used for caching/storing game data. At first there was only 126MB available which was a crazy small amount and when Sony updated the OS and Firmware then developers finally had enough memory for their games... 204MB is trully available for games on PlayStation 3 and Wii U has five times that also Xbox one had like 256MB of RAM at first for developers which is twice as much as PlayStation 3 and later it was firmware/OS updated to allow developers 384MB of RAM.

It does not matter if visuals have "cartoonish" or "realistic" look since both are equally demanding and it all depends on complexity of visuals like resolution of texture, amount of geometry, draw distance, quality of shadows and amount of lightning plus what kind of shadows and lightning are being used then we have filters and bunch of other stuff let alone discussing AI and effects...

Dont believe me? Ask Pemalite, he already explained...

Wii U has five times more RAM available for developers compared to PlayStation 3 and nearly three times compared to Xbox 360 while Nintendo could "unlock"/free aditional 512MB of RAM which would meant nearly 5 times in comparison to Xbox 360 and nearly 8 times compared to PlayStation 3.

Wii U's CPU is being labeled as weak by many people and by Eurogamer yet that is untrue, Wii U may look on paper weak and yet in practice is stronger than Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 CPU... I would love to explain but it would be such a pain to type it out on my smartphoen and such a drag now to explain it and I am sure Pemalite could explain you and even ICStats but I believe he would not be up to the task.

Actually in the Playstation 3's case... The "System" I.E. Everything except the graphics processor was limited to 256Mb of Ram.
The RSX however could use it's 256Mb of Ram then start to access the Ram that's reserved for the system.
Keep in mind that GPU's are usually the most memory hungry processor in a gaming machine due to having to handle things like textures.

Say for instance you had a game that was only using 128Mb of system memory, the RSX could use it's 256Mb to make pretty pictures then start using the free memory in the other pool.

As for the Ram counts in the other systems...
You need to be realistic.
Alright.
* Xbox 360: 512mb. - 32Mb for OS. = 480Mb or 0.48Gb.
* Playstation 3: 512Mb. - 52Mb for OS. = 460Mb or 0.46Gb.
* Wii U: 2048Mb. - 1024Mb for OS and other functions. = 1024Mb or 1Gb.

Thus by extension, the WiiU as it currently stands has a 122% memory advantage over the Playstation 3 and a 113% advantage over the Xbox 360.
Over the next few years I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo freed up another 512Mb of memory, the system is young and it's always wise to take more memory than you need with a new machine as you can always give memory back, but never taketh it away.
It would then give the WiiU a 233% and a 220% advantage in memory compacity respectively over the HD twins.

As for the WiiU CPU being weak? Well. Yes and No.
It's a CPU that's designed to be incredibly efficient, it's using allot of the features found in the more monolothic AMD and Intel cores in the PC space but sticks with the PowerPC instruction set (Although PowerPC is RISC, so are x86 processors internally these days.), things like OoO exection, branch prediction and improved interconnect bandwidth and latency allows it to perform more instructions per clock than the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

Some tasks like integer and badly optimised code will literally shine on the Wii U, thanks to it's out of order execution engine and fat caches in comparison to the HD twins. (It can use the eDRAM as extra cache.)
However, the thing to keep in mind with the WiiU is that if you look from the outside, it's mostly designed as a console to take advantage of games today, not tomorrow, hence why Nintendo went with a Triple-Core design with a "Master Core" to take advantage of the fact that games always have a master thread which is more processor heavy than the other threads (Hence the additional cache on that core.) and that not many games exceed 4 threads even in the PC space.
That's not a bad thing by any stretch, it keeps things simple for developers.

Some branches of code will be better on the WiiU, things like iterative refinement floating point will be much much much better on something like the Cell. (Which is a processor that sucks at everything else.)

Textures, lighting, shadowing, geometry and what-ever-else-I-forget should all be of a higher quality on the WiiU compared to the HD twins, it's GPU hardware features are on parity with the Next-Gen twins, however it will simply not be able to handle as many of them at any one time, which is completely understandable, these aren't high-end PC's, they're cost sensitive low-end gaming machines, all of them.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

guiduc said:
It looks real nice. I can't wait to play this game. And I can say the music is pretty great too... Makes up for the lackluster soundtrack of the previous iteration.

Hey now! Daisy Hills's theme was awesome, as was Music Park's, naturally!

Yep, thanks Pemalite for taking the time to write this.

The PS3's GPU can access both the system RAM and dedicated GPU RAM efficiently. GPU can read textures out of system RAM, or render to the system RAM too, for example for post-processing on Cell.

So having said that, as was already mentioned with more than double the RAM and a newer, more powerful GPU, we can expect Wii U to have better textures, better models, and higher resolution on Wii U than gen 7 hardware.

One issue could be bandwidth - you need higher bandwidth to go along with all the extra memory and I'm not sure how well Wii U can take advantage of the extra RAM with it's bandwidth.  What do you think?

My belief is still that it does come up underpowered vs PS3/360 in the CPU department, though I'm not directly familiar with it.  The on paper analysis and also (the few) developer articles make me think that.

Had it been a matter of poorly optimized code, or mostly integer scalar code, then Wii U could be competitive - but that's not the thing to compare.  PS3/360 game engines are optimized for 7+ years, and use FPU + SIMD.  That's what Wii U has to compete with, not theoretical benchmarks, and in that it seems underpowered.

Anyway, so I'm prepared to be proven wrong but I'm not going to take a "developers are lazy" as proof.

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:

One issue could be bandwidth - you need higher bandwidth to go along with all the extra memory and I'm not sure how well Wii U can take advantage of the extra RAM with it's bandwidth.  What do you think?

Games like Trine 2 Director's Cut and Need for Speed Most Wanted U were able to use higher resolution textures on Wii U compared to PS3/360 thanks to the extra RAM. Shin'en have also said higher res textures should be a "no brainer" for Wii U, and have promised to employ 4k-8k textures in their upcoming games.