By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 appears to have only 4.5GB available for games use

Mystro-Sama said:
jlmurph2 said:
Hynad said:
jlmurph2 said:
Mystro-Sama said:
O RLY? Still waiting for 1080p Xbone games :P

Really dude?

You mean: Really fallen? Still obsessed over this?

I have no problem with attacking an attack thread. But his retaliation was just weak and untrue. No better than an IGN commenter.

Dat reaction though... You guys need to learn how to take a joke lol If you know it ain't true then why get hurt over it? :/

Noone's hurt over something that's untrue. It would be like me running around saying "PS4 has no gamez". People would react telling me that it isn't true. Simple

Around the Network
HumdrumPie said:
VXIII said:
3.5 Gb is sure a lot for a premature OS that dosen't support DLNA and can't play mp3 audio files.

Agreed. I hope Sony slims down that OS and adds DLNA and MP3 support. I just find obvious fanboy threads annoying. 

Fortunately, That is inevitable to happen over the course of the generation. PS3 OS was also feature-less at launch. Sony does a great job in long term support.

fallen said:
HumdrumPie said:
VXIII said:
3.5 Gb is sure a lot for a premature OS that dosen't support DLNA and can't play mp3 audio files.

Agreed. I hope Sony slims down that OS and adds DLNA and MP3 support. I just find obvious fanboy threads annoying. 

Pointing out a fact is fanboyism now? I'm sorry...

Then why not mention that Xbox One has DDR3 memory and the PS4 has GDDR5? The fact that the PS4 has faster RAM doesn't fit in with your narrative so SHHHHHHHHHHHHH! 

Hynad said:
fallen said:
HumdrumPie said:
VXIII said:

Start pointing out that sort of things for the XBO, making baiting thread after baiting thread like you do for the PS4, and then we'll talk.

If you can find some bad tech info on xbo i'll gladly post it. i love tech info. if i find out the resolution of a certain x1 game is less than 1080p, I post it and have.

I made a post about how Titanfall X1 beta was still ~720P and posted it as a "scoop" (because I pixel counted it myself). Course I'm sure you have no problem with people posting bad Xbox news...

*Polishes BanHammer*

Let's try and keep things nice and civil in here.

In general though, this is one isolated incident of one game. It's not saying that the PS4 "only" has 4.5GB to use. It's just inFamous does. And as we're in a new generation with such a power increase, what do you expect? 4.5GB is still 9 times more than before anyway...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

It's really not difficult to understand why Sony allocated this much RAM for the OS. They made the mistake to not allocate enough for the PS3 and had to work their ass off to trim the RAM as much as possible over the course of the gen so that games would have more while making sure the OS could still run adequately.

They most likely allocated more than needed this time around, and they'll trim it down once they've figured what's best. Basically, they work in reverse from last gen. Which is a much better approach. Over time, developers will most likely get access to more of that RAM.

Do we really need to explain this again, there is 4.5gb of GDDR5 and another 1gb which is split as 512mb GDDR5 and 512mb HDD Page file, so yes you do get 5GB of full GDDR5, for your game, but you need to manage that last 512 a bit more carefully because it can page with the HDD if you over fill it, this is not a design floor its a good thing PC's have done it for decades.

fallen said:
Hynad said:
fallen said:

Start pointing out that sort of things for the XBO, making baiting thread after baiting thread like you do for the PS4, and then we'll talk.

If you can find some bad tech info on xbo i'll gladly post it. i love tech info. if i find out the resolution of a certain x1 game is less than 1080p, I post it and have.

I made a post about how Titanfall X1 beta was still ~720P and posted it as a "scoop" (because I pixel counted it myself). Course I'm sure you have no problem with people posting bad Xbox news...

Of course not! I'm well known to bash everything XBO, right? ¬_¬

You are so transparent. 

fallen said:
VXIII said:

I feel like Cerny did his job with PS4, and now Sony suits are setting about ruining it in a way (it has same or higher OS reserves in every way as Xbox).

Not really. The "new" Sony take feedback from the fans and developers very seriously, I'm certain that we will get all the features we ask for and more. This generation is new and it needs some time. I just don't like the idea that we pay for unfinished products nowadays.

Xenostar said:

Do we really need to explain this again, there is 4.5gb of GDDR5 and another 1gb which is split as 512mb GDDR5 and 512mb HDD Page file, so yes you do get 5GB of full GDDR5, for your game, but you need to manage that last 512 a bit more carefully because it can page with the HDD if you over fill it, this is not a design floor its a good thing PC's have done it for decades.

And the award for best comment goes to you.