By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Aims to close the gap!

Xbox One E3 2014 Exciting Lineup and ID@Xbox Conditions Unchanged

Recently, it was reported that Sony is gearing up for a pretty good E3 2014 conference where gamers will be treated to a number of games of varying genres.

It's Microsoft's time to tease something related to the E3 2014 event, and according to reports, Microsoft's Phil Spencer, the new promoted head for Xbox, the event will introduce some of the best content that the next-gen console has had.

According to VG 24/7, the aim is to not only deliver great games to the public, it also aims to close the wide gap that the PS4 is currently enjoying compared to the Xbox One.

"We're early on in the console generation and obviously Sony's having a great launch," said Spencer in a statement quoted by VG 24/7. "Console gaming is doing incredibly well right now. Six months ago, everybody wondered if console gaming was dead... but this is a long, multi-year generation and my fundamental belief is that great games create the best platforms."

This seems to go very well alongside Spencer's plans for the Xbox One, as he has promised gamers that his main focus for Microsoft's next-gen console is all about games. That sounds promising, especially now that the focus has turned from the actual hardware consoles and towards the games that the platforms will be churning out.

ID@Xbox: Great idea, but the launch parity policy isn't

The Xbox One has gone a great deal from being the indie-unfriendly big player who doesn't seem to want anything to do with that segment of the market and developers, to one that has created its own program just to show its love for it.

After months of being available to indie developers, more than 250 indie studios have already latched onto the program and the Xbox One is expecting 25 indie games through the ID@Xbox.

Everything already seems fair and fun, but given how the launch parity clause is still in effect, it's serving as a damper that keeps the developers from fully enjoying their situation.

Edge-Online reports talks to Phil Harrison, VP of Microsoft Xbox on the matter, who shows his appreciation for the indie scene. "Taking aside competitive positioning and all of that, the winners in all of this are game players. There are more games coming out for these platforms, there are more developers creating for these platforms, there are more fresh minds coming into our industry than any time in recent memory."

Sadly, despite the warmer welcome from Microsoft when it comes to indie games, it the launch parity clause doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/546211/20140402/xbox-one-id-e3-2014.htm#.UzyOxLXNuUk

Around the Network

They've been aiming to close the gap ever since the gap was widened. I'm sure MS will have a strong showing, they always do. But so will Sony.

Nothing wrong with trying. MS give it your best shot.

Engage! Make it so! set your emotions on stunned!

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Of course they are aiming to do so. Actually achieving it is nigh impossible though, yay it is.

Around the Network

Yay!!!! MS I'm pulling for you

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Maybe in US. Even here, they can't have a market share past 45%, not with a higher price tag.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Their business stragety forfiets marketshare by default. No clue what made them think it was a good idea (ie higher price no head start in their major territories and delays in countries). If they wanted to win they had to build on strategies from last gen considering it wasnt good enough then.

I still don't understand how people throw out the talking point that "M$ is indie-unfriendly" as if it were a fact. I must have missed all those indie games that came to XBLA all throughout the last generation, not to mention the fact that up until recently the biggest indie game of all, Minecraft, was exclusive to M$ on consoles and helped introduce millions of people, many of whom would be labeled as "casuals", to this great game that otherwise probably would have never even heard of it if it stayed PC exclusive.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Hopefully This e3 is as epic as last years