By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why isn't there any mention of Nintendo's horrible software sales ?

???

Conspiracy ? ... 54 25.71%

Nooooo ... 8 3.81%

No, you're wrong ... 70 33.33%

Let me see the damn results ... 77 36.67%

Total:209

Everyone is just taking OP at his word, huh? Did anyone bother to glance at 3DS software sales? They're not declining at all. They're certainly not "dropping fast," that part was flat-out fabricated by fatslob.

Around the Network
Devil_Survivor said:
fatslob-:O said:
Devil_Survivor said:

Don't own Wii U so cannot speak to that system's software sales, however owned a 3ds since launch and about half of my 80 games for the system are digital so I'm sure we would see better software numbers if we had those numbers as well instead of just the physical copy data.

Even if we had digital numbers factored in the sales of physical copies of the game account for well over 80% sales on almost all platforms. It's really only the PC that has some serious margins of digital sales.

Sure about that? Or just your bias for PC ? Sony has stated that Vita has 47 percent digtal sales and other ones probably have something in 20-30 percent range; that's not serious margins?

I'd say PC and to some extent the Vita are exceptions. I can't imagine digital sales being that high for anything else.

Zeus09 said:
Donkey kong currently beating imfamous on amazon u people live in your world dont you

LMAO, we live in a world where Infamous has outsold DK in TWO days and DK has been out since Feb. LOL but i guess you got to take your victories where you can.

It's a bit early to say because we haven't seen a lot of the big hits for the Wii U that are expected yet. Now yes, Super Mario 3D World had poor sales compared to the rest of the franchise, at least at first.... but that's only one out of many games. Mario Kart will likely be a massive sell as will Smash Bros as will Zelda U (or whatever they choose to name it.) Also, For those who are writing off the Wii U this early, they are making a mistake and missing out on an opportunity. The Wii U isn't going to overtake the PS4 or Xbone. However, it will have its own niche with a strong following. For genres that were once strong but are now finding themselves in their own niche, it's a great opportunity for these genres to be invested in the Wii U, where their fans can be given the opportunity to play new titles. Furthermore, in regards to the overall gaming community, it would allow the Wii U to become an Alternative System for those who are finding themselves estranged with gaming because of the current trends and themes.

Fusioncode said:
zorg1000 said:
Fusioncode said:
The 3DS has the worst attach rate in Nintendo history. Even with a fairly strong library people aren't buying many games. Smartphones and tablets have conditioned people to get hundred of apps for free so the notion of paying $40 for a game is becoming obsolete. Dedicated handheld gaming will be dead in ten years.

Nintendo handheld tie ratio

Gameboy-4.22

Gameboy Advance-4.63

Nintendo DS-5.25

Nintendo 3DS-3.04

This number will only continue to grow and does not take into account Eshop or Virtual Console sales. Nintendo 3DS software sales are fine.

It's not fine, it's a big step down. Those numbers are directly from Nintendo so they probably do take digital games into account. 

Nope those numbers are from here on vgchartz which does not take into account digital sales

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

So are we counting digital sales, then? Or do we pretend they don't exist?

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Zeus09 said:
Donkey kong currently beating imfamous on amazon u people live in your world dont you

The world where infamous in two days outsold Donkey Kong ??? LOL dem facts.

Salnax said:
Digital Downloads and Extensive On-System Bundling have made things seem worse than they actually are.

Quite correct. It seems to me that the current crop of Wii U owners are going for digital purchases perhaps more than other consoles. It's a growing trend, perhaps? And either way, digital sales still = sales. This is somewhat backed up by studios seeming happy with their Wii U sales, because in spite of the install base, the people who do own Wii Us seem to be downloading a lot of games. Which is great for indies, and why more and more indie games are being announced in development for it. It's going to be one hell of a digital platform.

In regards to attach rate, SO many downloadable titles would have been retail games on every handheld prior to 3DS.

Add to the fact Nintendo under their Virtual Console does not have to re-release older games as classics at retail, and the software attach rate on 3DS is likely much, much higher:

- Retail rereleases of SMB on the GB/C, and SMB2, SMB3 and SMW on GBA all sold over 5 million copies a piece.
- Yoshi's Island and ALTTP over 2.5 million each.

All available (or soon to be, in the case of Yoshi's Island) on the VC. I don't think all of a sudden a significant portion of those sales aren't happening because they're not being tracked.

Check out my news site thekonstant.com - it's chock full of good stuff, with an unhealthy bias toward gaming :)

Because insulting Nintendo first party games is blasphemy among a lot of gamers. Although they have no desire to buy a Wii U or ever play Mario 3D land, all the fond memories of their childhood are inextricably tied to Nintendo mascots such that to criticize games like mario, zelda, donkey kong, etc. is tantamount to criticizing themselves.

Their whole sense of self would fracture as doubt overcast their childhood, it would be like heroizing your father, only to discover in adulthood that he cheated on your mom, murdered the neighbour's children, and was BFFs with Osama Bin Laden. In an adult world filled with disillusionment, greed, and rampant corruption, people need to believe in something that once was pure. They need to hold on to their innocence.

They just can't face the truth that a lot of those games just aren't resonating with people, sadly because they're just not that good.