By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are the nintendo classic games so well rated, because we had lower standards back in the day?

Yes.

Super Mario Bros.
Metroid
The Legend of Zelda

Those three games kinda suck. The three sold well because at the time they were innovative. They're looked back at fondly partly because of the amazing modern games in their respective series.

I'm not trying to take away from Mario saving the game industry or Zelda establishing the action/adventure genre. But the original games kinda blow if you didn't grow up with them.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
kirby007 said:
RolStoppable said:
The classic games were rated highly, because they were that good. Put them side to side with current games and the quality of their design isn't really any worse than what we have now. In fact, the new games struggle to match or best the quality of the classics, despite having the benefit of over 20 years in technological advancements.

True nintendo nowadays would not be able to deliver the right experience for a starfox or fzero, they know they weren't that good to begin with back then and now it would be so very noticable the quality is low

Cool story, kirb. You must have dropped your joint in your Heineken.

It just makes perfect sense, why else wouldn't they release successors

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Obviously this varies person to person and will depend upon what they value most in a game. Personally when I go back to games I rated highly back in the day, I end up asking myself why the f**k aren’t there more games as good/better than these toady.

Wow Kirby I am surprised! The one in a 100 thread, that actually makes sense and is not all about spam.

OT: I think they were so well rated just because on how the indusrtry used to work... some are criticised more today, some less. Doesn't mean that Super Mario Bros. 3 is any less fun if you play it today, but if you think about it, with all the competition in today's market, games like SuperMario 64 for instance wouldn't be appreciated that well because they are in steady competition to at least 10 other games, that might be as good or even better.

The thing is that all the 'Nintendo classics' were pretty much trendsetters in terms of art design and control and thus are remembered as some of the best games.

Also, as you mentioned before, back then competition was not as cruel as it is today. In the NES/SNES era there were almost no games like Mario or Zelda that could compete quality wise.

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

Yes, because for example Bioshock in my opinion is better than any game made by nintendo and has "only" a 96 in metacritic (it should have 98 or 99 not 100 because perfection doesn't exist).

Around the Network
bubblegamer said:
Yes. It's like when Avatar the first 3D movie came out and everyone was full of praise about it. Now you have a lot of people who don't even like 3D anymore or find it better used in other movies.

A game like Ocarina of Time would have scored 85 on Metacritic, tops if it was released in this day and age. Our standards are much higher now.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

94 on Metacritic

And as DuckTales Remastered shows classic games don't get a pass when taken into the modern age.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

BraveNewWorld said:
Yes.

Super Mario Bros.
Metroid
The Legend of Zelda

Those two games kinda suck. The two sold well because at the time they were innovative. They're looked back at fondly partly because of the amazing modern games in their respective series.

I'm not trying to take away from Mario saving the game industry or Zelda establishing the action/adventure genre. But the original games kinda blow if you didn't grow up with them.

Fixed.

Also, didn't grow up with any of them.

No. It's true that the market hadn't been molded into what it is today so a lot of them were new and different from everything around them at the time, but that's a testament to their impact on gaming; they helped to set the bar for things to come.

And not everyone who exists today grew up playing games or has had all of the experiences we have. Show someone who is new to gaming (be it a kid or just someone who's never tried it before) a very difficult or complicated game of today compared to a game like Space Invaders, Pac Man, Tetris or Super Mario Bros. Many of Nintendo's classics were some of the great "gateway" games that got people interested, and many of them still play better today than a lot of the current games.

To present anecdotal evidence, in an issue of EGM magazine a few years ago they asked a group of pre-teen kids to play some old classics and give their opinions on them. One kid, who was a huge fan of Wind Waker and other "modern" games, got to try the original NES Zelda for the first time and was drawn in instantly. One of the editors asked, "What would you say if we told you we like this better than Wind Waker?" Despite the simplistic 8-bit graphics and sound, the kid actually agreed.

Resi one vs resi 6? Lol if anything games today are worse. Technically better but most games bore me to sleep these days. Its like the same 10 games re-skinned over and over.

No.

Todays game sure are

And that include all developers... way way to many free passes these days.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints