By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft won't allow Xbox One/PC cross-platform play

Tagged games:

Microsoft already tried it and it doesnt work. The 2 different control methods and unstable pc hardware made this fail with titles like shadowrun which microsoft actually funded.

Around the Network
Shaunaka said:
Seece said:
I don't get why this is a thing, why are people on PC so eager to play with console gamers and vice versa?

Because this would have allowed PS4 gamers to go head-to-head with XB1 gamers? 

I think people are just pointing out that MS is being typically restrictrive again, whilst Sony is not.

Ironically only MS tried this in the past with a dedicated effort where as Sony......had a one-time deal with Valve on Portal 2?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Shaunaka said:
Seece said:
I don't get why this is a thing, why are people on PC so eager to play with console gamers and vice versa?

I think people are just pointing out that MS is being typically restrictrive again, whilst Sony is not.

Short sight view. Imagine playing against cheaters on PC with all the mods plus mouse and keyboard.

MS wouldn't have a "jurisdiction"/ quality control of the online gaming part.

That's the reason FFXIV is not on Xbone too.

It's been tried and done before. I'd say the differences in control are more than enough to show that cross platforming with a PC is not viable.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
That's the reason FFXIV is not on Xbone too.

Yeah, that's a big miss for the massive crowd of FF fans on Xbox.

sales2099 said:
MS tried this in 2007

Shadowrun, Lost Planet Colonies, Universe at War and a hand full of other ones.

Too gimmicky to make a real impact and PC gamers had an edge. Tried and done. No need to rehash it.

I wouldn't mind seeing cross console play though.  Like COD across XOne and PS4.  Not between gens of course (need to incentivise people to move when their friends do).

Goatseye said:
Shaunaka said:
Seece said:

Short sight view. Imagine playing against cheaters on PC with all the mods plus mouse and keyboard.

MS wouldn't have a "jurisdiction"/ quality control of the online gaming part.

I believe you're the one that is short sighted.

MS has a policy in place preventing this for all games, while the negatives you mention aren't applicable to all game types. Hence, it is preventing games from being cross platform that might be cool.

I'm not gung ho about what I am saying here, but I think it's worth discussing.

I would LOVE to have been able to play Fifa against PC and 360 gamers on my PS3. There are possibilities that could work, but this policy is preventing these ideas from ever being born.

(but no doubt FPS for instance is a terrible idea)

walsufnir said:

Yeah, that's a big miss for the massive crowd of FF fans on Xbox.

Not sure if sarcasm but FFXIII sold over 2 million copies on 360... and Square-Enix said FFXI worked pretty well on 360.

JayWood2010 said:
I dont want PC/Console crossplay. M/KB has a huge advantage over controllers and it would make the game unbalanced for console players.

True, unless you're allowed to use M/KB on console which evens the playing field. UT3 allowed PC/PS3 play and had support for M/KB on PS3. You also had controller specific and M/KB specific rooms if you wanted to keep things even. Believe it or not, there are also pc players that prefer to play even shooters with a controller.

4 ≈ One