By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Thoughts (SPOILERS)

Liked it a lot. Looking forward to seeing how it dovetails with Agents of SHIELD. Last week's episode was perfectly timed, which you'd expect.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

It is quite possibly the best Marvel movie to date. Well paced, great action, a female lead that isn't just eye candy, and the darker tone really helped a lot. I may still give the avengers the edge because of the Hulk (who I love) but this is the best individual movie that Marvel has made to date. It seemed like it could have been a great movie outside of the Marvel universe, while still contributing to the mythos. I very much hope the remaining Marvel movies take a page from Winter Soldier.

I thought the movie was fucking awesome. I feel like I was one of the few that liked the first Captain America movie so I was really excited for this—especially after being somewhat disappointed by Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World. It is in my opinion the best Marvel movie yet and the best super hero movie since the Dark Knight trilogy.

Evans really shined in his role and his lines were all spot on. Scarlett Johansson was prefect as the Black Widow and really embodied her character. Anthony Mackie was hilarious and his humour never really felt intrusive to me which was great. The Winter Soldier was a convincing villain as well.

The action/fight scenes were really well done and it felt like you could feel the impact of each blow. The movie's tone was great too. It serious, dark at times and when they had humour, it was really well done.

I'll probably go watch it again and now I'm really pumped to see the Avengers: Age of Ultron. Hopefully this time it'll feel more like a team since everyone has essentially established themselves which I felt wasn't done the first time around.

Azerth said:
can someone explain nicks eye

Not sure what you really mean but at a guess. Nick Fury's normal eye could be copied/faked using clever contact lenses or other technology (he's been photographed and stuff) while his hidden scared eye is better for security.

Hmm, pie.

Azerth said:
can someone explain nicks eye

Spoilers obviously.  When Fury "died" they took away his optical scan access so he couldn't gain acccess to shield files requiring optical scans.  What Pierce didn't realize was that fury had he had seperate access through his covered eye.  Basically, think of it as Fury having two different accounts and two different passwords (each eye).  They deleted one account and password without realizing the other existed.

Around the Network

It was awesome!

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

freaking awesome favorite marvel film to date...... gonna go watch it again later today

A lot of movies (Batman Trilogy, Man of Steel) are so ashamed of being a comic book movie that they try way too hard to go "look at me I'm art" and wind up losing too much of what made these characters successful. On the other hand, movies like Thor or The Avengers are simply content being mostly mindless comic book fun and entertain without really having any emotional resonance for the average viewer.

The Winter Soldier strikes the perfect balance. It's comic booky enough to offer escapism and truly great action scenes, but it's also grounded enough to resonate on a level that speaks to us mere mortals. It's also the perfect counterpoint to the somewhat campy and traditional Captain America showing that, contrary to what Fallout may have you believe, war does change.

I agree it was the best Marvel film so far. I'll admit I was beginning to get fed up with them because of how many I've seen in the past few years, but they really stepped it up this time. The darker plot is great, combined with the more sophisticated character development they've been springing for since Iron Man 3 and you get a film which is a bit more than just dumb entertainment, which I'll be honest is what the Marvel films have been for me up until now. Great performances from Samuel L. Jackson and Robert Redford as well.

I'm still not hugely excited about the next Avengers film, but I really am curious about what happens to Bucky afterwards

Also, I can't really draw any comparisons with the comics because I've never read them, but my dad has and he loved it as well, so it got his stamp of approval as an existing fan

Kongfucius said:
Also, I can't really draw any comparisons with the comics because I've never read them, but my dad has and he loved it as well, so it got his stamp of approval as an existing fan

I do wonder if there are any comic fans out there that didn't like it and their reasonings. Well I say comic fans, I mean Marvel/Cap fans. DC fans don't count.

Hmm, pie.