By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Obama: Ignoring Russian Aggression Would Have Global Consequences

What does Obama hope to accomplish? alterior motive?

I will post below. 29 14.29%

To calm the situation down 67 33.00%

See results 100 49.26%

Total:196

Speaking about trustworthy countries and so trustworthy, who should have nuclear weapons and who should not. Do I remember that correctly and the US just "sunk" four nuclear warheads into the ocean near Greenland? AFAIR one of them is STILL there :D BTW does that makes Denmark a possessor of a nuclear weapon?

Just saying. Intesresting episode of the world history, if I'm not mistaken this is only incident in history when nuclear weapon was "lost".

Around the Network
mai said:

Speaking about trustworthy countries and so trustworthy, who should have nuclear weapons and who should not. Do I remember that correctly and the US just "sunk" four nuclear warheads into the ocean near Greenland? AFAIR one of them is STILL there :D BTW does that makes Denmark a possessor of a nuclear weapon?

Just saying. Intesresting episode of the world history, if I'm not mistaken this is only incident in history when nuclear weapon was "lost".

I think the Soviets had one submarine sunken with a nuke inside, but I could be mistaken. Either way, for the US, sinking nukes towards the bottom of the Arctic Ocean and its methane clathrate reserves doesn't seem like a good idea to me...

mai said:

Actually that's not even the first time the US has misplaced Nuclear weapons....

Hell, if they just recently sunk 4 there, it's not even the first time the US lost Nuclear warheads near greenland.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/a-nuclear-needle-in-a-haystack-the-cold-war-s-missing-atom-bombs-a-590513.html

That's not saying there aren't any similar situations Russian wise.

http://www.armscontrol.org/act/1997_09/lebedsept

(Number has to be exagerrated though)

Really just makes a stronger point though on why you'd really want to limit nuclear bomb ownership.

Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:

Your arugment is that because even big stable countries shouldn't have nucleaer weapons... everyone should have them.

No i don't think anyone should have them but since we have them, we can't tell other countries not to have them without disabling our own. Having nuclear weapons is something awful I think 

Why?  Becuase we have nuclear weapons we can't tell more unstable dangerous nations to not have them?

That doesn't make any sense.

but ok.  Let me rephrase that...

your argument is because even big stable countries shouldn't even have nulear weapons...  EVERYONE should can have them.

So, becaue there is a .01% chance the US or UK could get it's nuclear weapons stolen and won't get rid of theirs... these two nations should let other countries get nuclear weapons.  Even though it greatly increases the chance of nuclear weapons falling into the hands of people who will use them in highly populated areas far higher then the chance it happens in the US or UK.

Humans are too stupid to have something that can be potentially destructive, that applies to all countries not just 'rogue states'.  

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:

=

Humans are too stupid to have something that can be potentially destructive, that applies to all countries not just 'rogue states'.  

Which again makes your position in this thread asinine.

Nobody should have a "Blow up the world" button either. 

But if just because a couple reall intellegent scientists deve;op one, it'd be stupid to say that because they refuse to get rid of it, EVERYBODY should be allowed to have one... because it's too dangerous for anyone to have.

Or hell, even if the only person in the world who has a blow up the world button is a crazy idiot, it'd be best if he was still the only person with a blpw up the world button....

because it lowers the risk of you know... the world being blown up.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:

=

Which again makes your position in this thread asinine.

Nobody should have a "Blow up the world" button either.

But if just because a couple reall intellegent scientists deve;op one, it'd be stupid to say that because they refuse to get rid of it, EVERYBODY should be allowed to have one... because it's too dangerous for anyone to have.

Or hell, even if the only person in the world who has a blow up the world button is a crazy idiot, it'd be best if he was still the only person with a blpw up the world button....

because it lowers the risk of you know... the world being blown up.

Nice words, but what can you do to make it real?
Say, if USA wants it to be true, they have 2 ways:
1. Take other's nuclear weapons by military power, crush all the science who can produce it and the civil objects using it (like Nuclear power plants, as potentially it can lead to weapons).
2. Be a moral leader of the world, get rid of nuclear weapons themselves and say - hey look at me and do it the way I do.

Which way would you prefer?

Sharu said:
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:

=

Nice words, but what can you do to make it real?
Say, if USA wants it to be true, they have 2 ways:
1. Take other's nuclear weapons by military power, crush all the science who can produce it and the civil objects using it (like Nuclear power plants, as potentially it can lead to weapons).
2. Be a moral leader of the world, get rid of nuclear weapons themselves and say - hey look at me and do it the way I do.

Which way would you prefer?

Neither is possible, once someone has nukes you can't take them away.

That said.  When it comes to limiting nukes, for example I'd prefer 1, but not just including the US but most nuclear states and most countries who support them.  Only in the cases where countries refuse to stop setting up nuclear weapons programs with other methods.  (Like the sanctions that currently exist etc(.

Why?  Because the world isn't an episode of Captain Planet.

No country is really going to follow suit.

Hell no country would even believe the US got rid of all their nukes.  Just like with Biological weapons.

and Nuclear plants where countries like Russia supply and recover all the Uranium works well enough to keep Nuclear Plants in buisness.

Smth worth adding instead of pointless discussion about nuclear weapons is  MID statement on the involvement of Greystone in the recently heated up Ukraine events.

By itself the statement worth nothing, but we might see some light lit on the subject when the events will go further. After all PMCs have been used widely (for starters they contribute half to the deatholl of the alliance in the Afghanistan throughout the last decade) and aside perfectly valid activity have been reported to have rather shady and informal affairs with the authorities on the very dirty, often bloody, morally and legally questionable things. First rumors have started with what looked like a false report almost a month ago (even before Crimenian events), eventually more reports appeared, but they were either rumors or proved to be false (like the recent one that showed people in NATO uniform and only on tha fact suggesting they were mercenaries, or obvious fakes like OSCE inspectors who have been caught on camera in the mall and naturally inspired few rumors).

Nevertheless I do beleive there's some ground for the rumors, but time will tell.

mai said:

The thing is... if Yugoslavian scenario would have been a reality in Urkaine, i.e. peackeeping misson with zones of responsbility, say, Russian and American, the leverage of Obama would have been in saying "hey, we could diversificate gas exports" in the situation when "unknown terrorists" are blowing up gas pipelines in the Western Ukraine, that would have made these statements more belivable.

Gas pipeline explosion in Ivano-Frankovsk -- terrorist attack

:D

mai said:
mai said:

The thing is... if Yugoslavian scenario would have been a reality in Urkaine, i.e. peackeeping misson with zones of responsbility, say, Russian and American, the leverage of Obama would have been in saying "hey, we could diversificate gas exports" in the situation when "unknown terrorists" are blowing up gas pipelines in the Western Ukraine, that would have made these statements more belivable.

Gas pipeline explosion in Ivano-Frankovsk -- terrorist attack

:D

And yet another one!

Ukraine Says Gas Pipeline Explosion "Probably Terrorist Attack"