By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What would happen if PlayStation branched off from Sony?

selnor1983 said:

your breaking forum rules. Attacking a user.

Im talking from a business perspective. Sony is in Huge debt. Thats a fact. There Will be less studios over the nxt few years. More studio  closes and cuts wll be made yet. Over th next 3 years.

I wasn't attacking you, but report me if you wish. Lets the mods decide. 

You're acting as if Sony has no chance of getting out of their debt. This is why the restructuring is happening, so it can be a leaner, more profitable company. You're also forgetting the fact that the game division is doing great right now, the majority of cuts will be going to less profitable divisions. Sony recently bought Gaikai and is investing heavily in PS Now and Project Morpheus. I'm not seeing this massive downsizing that you keep talking about. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
selnor1983 said:
Zekkyou said:
selnor1983 said:

I believeby 2017 Sony wil have 1/3rd less sttudios and alot of the talent ( which is already happeing ) will go elsewhere. All at a time MS are creating more studios and hiring more staff. Microsot will release an have more exclusives regularly by 2017. They will simply have more projects ad more deveopers.
They are already hiring employees leaving Sony.

I doubt it to be honest. Sony's 1st party has done nothing but grow for the last 3 gens, and with the PS4 thriving it seems unlikely they would suddenly choose to greatly reduce it. I'd agree they will likely have less overall studios, but i also think they will have more large ones. They are in the middle of a company wise restructuring, so it's only natural some of the fat gets cut off. A restructuring of successful parts of a business is about making them more efficient, but retaining their same productivity.

No doubt we will see some of the smaller less productive studios close, but past i'd expect their total number of major studios to haven grown by 2017 (based on the last two decades :p)

Anyway, as i said i find your prediction quite uplifting. You can often get a sense of how a product is doing by how the fans of it's competition act towards it. I haven't seen a single doom thread about the PS4 so far, so going from definite and impending death to only mild discomfort is a great summary of how well the PS4 is doing ^^

Theres alot more to it than restructuring. THey have huge debt to pay off, and that requires more alot lt more than PS4 doing good forr 4 months. Its business and this will go on for Sony for 5 years or so. I sid whats happening now wold happen.  said it 6 months ago and got rediculed. I also called Driveclub last year to. I predict exclusive wise Playstationwil have alt less at E3 in comparison to MS. I actually think games will hurt PS4 as time goes on.

If you got ridiculed maybe it was because of poor english? I don't how much more proof Sony haters want that the GAMING division is profitable and has been forever except only the first 3 and half PS3 years.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Fusioncode said:

selnor1983 said:

your breaking forum rules. Attacking a user.

Im talking from a business perspective. Sony is in Huge debt. Thats a fact. There Will be less studios over the nxt few years. More studio  closes and cuts wll be made yet. Over th next 3 years.

I wasn't attacking you, but report me if you wish. Lets the mods decide. 

You're acting as if Sony has no chance of getting out of their debt. This is why the restructuring is happening, so it can be a leaner, more profitable company. You're also forgetting the fact that the game division is doing great right now, the majority of cuts will be going to less profitable divisions. Sony recently bought Gaikai and is investing heavily in PS Now and Project Morpheus. I'm not seeing this massive downsizing that you keep talking about. 

Im certainly sseeing it. And sony need to be really careful with things like projdct morpheus. 1 failiure is something they cant afford. All the r and d costs. 

As for reporting. I dont wish to play that power hungry game of banning thankyou. Im 30 not 7.

DanneSandin said:

This is a question that's been discussed from time to time, whether or not the PlayStation brand will or should branch off from its parent corporation, Sony. I think it's a quite interesting question, especially now when Sony is still having economical problems.

Let's just enter the world of imagination for a while; Sony as a whole is in such dire straits that they need to sell off their brands, and PlayStation being one of them. How would this effect PlayStation? I'm assuming that if worst came to to worst, Sony would sell off the entire Sony Computer Entertainment branch with the PlayStation brand and all the 1st party studios. What would happen then?

Which company could and would buy the SCE? Could they strike out on their own, and become a gaming only company? Which 1st party studios would leave? What else could and would happen?

Let's remember that this is all speculation and imagination; PlayStation branching off from Sony is just as likely as Nintendo going 3rd party or Microsoft selling off the Xbox division.

Playstation is already a "LLC non public IPO" So its indeed split off anyway because its a LLC. its just that the stock of playstation is not for public IPO and most likely never will be!

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

SCE is one of the last branches SONY would sell. There's a decent few other segments that would go first.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
selnor1983 said:

Please Stop, Just Stop 1st of all i see many on here keep trying to say Japan = like the west in the free Market and that is just not the case.

Its the Bitter Pill vs the Perception of West Hedge fund's as "Vultures" and corporate raiding that the west does vs in Japan its viewed with Disdain. 

Thats why Sony's board and Kaz voted 

"Sony's board of directors has unanimously concluded that continuing to own 100 percent of our entertainment business is the best path forward and is integral to Sony's strategy," Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai said in a letter to Loeb, which was released by the company. 

http://us.mobile.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSBRE97413120130806?i=2

Think about that Sony in about 10 years time and they lost over 8 billion from the TV section and then the near 3 billion Loss from the PS3's 5 years on the market Loss from the Playstation 3 and than PC, and yet they still Told Loeb who owns 7% of Sony itself NO! 

I think many just does not seem to get that between how the market is in Japan and how the markets perform in the west. for one would you see a US company loose 8 billion in 10 years in the US not get swallowed up if they have such massive debt? even with this debt, Sony's Trim of Fat but yet turns right around and re-invest shows despite many that think they know whats going on really fail to grasp that japan's market is not like the west!

Many on here such as yourself I think cannot seem to get that, Japans free market is not like the West! in the Past 40 years straight, that Much is pretty clear to be blunt.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

DarkD said:
So basically you are saying that they sell off everything other than playstation and gamble on the console market.... That's a horrible idea.

You have to remember, Playstation isn't a very stable investment for them. It has and it will make them a lot of money right now, but profit margins are shrinking like crazy on consoles. Why do you think that everyone thought DRM would be the way to go this generation. The reason Sony didn't go DRM this gen was because they knew Microsoft would and they figured it was a surefire ticket to win this generation.

Not to mention that there are invading product lines all over the place stealing Sony's market. Everything from the Indie boom to the iPhone to Steam sales are all cannibalizing console sales. Playstation is actually in the least desirable market in all of gaming right now. They are in a market that's liable to disappear and to even support their market they have to make the most expensive games on the planet. They are walking a tight rope.

Say what you want about Sony's other divisions, but they are stable markets that Sony doesn't even have to put much effort into them.

More like they saw the backlash building and quickly leveraged it to be the good guys.  Sony is just as much a king of DRM / copyright protection as anyone, seeing as they have heavy hooks in bluray (Cinavia protection).

selnor1983 said:

Theres alot more to it than restructuring. THey have huge debt to pay off, and that requires more alot lt more than PS4 doing good forr 4 months. Its business and this will go on for Sony for 5 years or so. I sid whats happening now wold happen.  said it 6 months ago and got rediculed. I also called Driveclub last year to. I predict exclusive wise Playstationwil have alt less at E3 in comparison to MS. I actually think games will hurt PS4 as time goes on.

That must be why they are funding RAD's new game and SSM bought a new larger studio. There is no way this could possibly be due to the restructuring, its not like every one of the lay offs has been to a studio or team that either haven't produced favorable results or lack productivity :P There is no way such an obvious coincidence could possibly exist~

As has been said, the synergy at Sony helps Playstation to thrive, and Playstation is an important brand for Sony. Both would struggle without each other, possibly both dying off. That's if they totally separated. I feel like if they did anything like this, they'd still be very connected. Sony would still provide research and expertise, while Playstation Now would be exclusive to Sony products, benefiting both. If either started to struggle though, they'd be very unstable. Having Playstation as part of Sony is much more stable. They should only split off if Sony were about to actually go under, in which case spinning off a successful brand like Playstation and giving them a lot of Sony's resources as a parting gift would be a good idea.

g911turbo said:

More like they saw the backlash building and quickly leveraged it to be the good guys.  Sony is just as much a king of DRM / copyright protection as anyone, seeing as they have heavy hooks in bluray (Cinavia protection).

I'm not entirely sure that what you are saying is any different than what I said.  Yes everyone knew there would be a backlash over newer more strict DRM practices.  They've proven it so many times now.  The developers don't want that responsibility anymore because it hurts their brand image when they do that.  That's why I think they all got together and said that it should be the platforms that enforce the DRMs.  If Sony and Microsoft both enforce a DRM at the same time, the users would be forced to swallow it regardless of how pissed off they got.  

I think Sony secretly stabbed all the third parties in the back at the last minute by not having DRM.  That's why afterwards we had third parties coming forward saying that this whole thing came out of nowhere.  Sony was supposed to have DRM too but they leveraged not having DRM to make them seem like the heroes of this generation.  

So yea if you are saying that Sony was just as guilty as Microsoft in the DRM category, then we are in agreement.