By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The best RPG of last generation?

Best of last generation

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 76 13.92%

Mass Effect 2 49 8.97%

Dark Souls 47 8.61%

Witcher 2 17 3.11%

Fallout 3 18 3.30%

Xenoblade Chronicles 200 36.63%

Ni No Kuni 63 11.54%

Lost Odyssey 23 4.21%

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn 13 2.38%

Valkyria Chroncles 40 7.33%

Total:546
cusman said:
I would have voted for Skyrim or Walking Dead Season 1

Does an RPG have to be about story or gameplay or menu based upgrading or just about "role-playing"?

That's what puts the "game" in "Role-Playing Game", essentially. Otherwise, it's probably an adventure game.

Can't blame you for being confused, though. Some game classifications lack a bit of logic in their definition. :/

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network

I don't know about 'best' which implies more of an technical comparison but the ones I enjoyed the most were:

Mass Effect 1
Fallout 3
Oblivion
Dragon Age:Origins
? Any one of a dozen.

LO as best of the few JRPGs I played,

Recon1O1 said:
I don't know about 'best' which implies more of an technical comparison but the ones I enjoyed the most were:

Mass Effect 1
Fallout 3
Oblivion
Dragon Age:Origins
? Any one of a dozen.

LO as best of the few JRPGs I played,

very nice choices, including LO, even though skyrim > oblivion and F: NV > F 3 for me. would ME 3 multiplayer count in this list? 

and i loved games to death other people just hated on, some of my mainly  played games on 360 were sacred 2 and too human.

and i think ff 13 and 13-2 are very good games

and star ocean - the last hope is one of the worst games of this gen (only beaten by ninja blade) and the worst rpg i ever played.

JRPG: Tales of Vesperia by far.
WRPG: Easily Skyrim.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Pokemon 4gen.

Around the Network

It's a tie between
Final Fantasy XIII
Dark Souls
and Witcher 2. I may have to go with XIII though.

That Xenoblade game isn't bad you know ;)

The Tales series really moved to be the big JRPG series of this generation to me. Of those I would say Xillia is my favorite given Xillia 2 and Zestiria are still to come over here.

I didn't know this thread was still alive...

Why is there Dark Souls........instead of Demon's Souls that is the actual start of the obsession?

I would say Demon's Souls or Skyrim
Honorable Mentions is Mass Effect(which was ruined by it becoming less of an RPG with each iteration and the awful endings) and Valkyria Chronicles

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)