By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dualshock 4, the GREATEST controller of all time.

Is the Dualshck 4 the greatest controller of all time.

Dualshock 4 446 47.00%

Sega Dreamcast Controller 21 2.21%

NES Controller 18 1.90%

Dualshock 3 27 2.85%

XBox 360 Controller 191 20.13%

N64 Controller 34 3.58%

Sega Genesis 6 Button Controller 4 0.42%

Other 208 21.92%

Total:949
MB1025 said:

That is the problem. Just because something has been vastly improved doesn't make it the best. It just proves how terrible the DS3 was. The reason why the XB1 controller hasn't changed much is because of how good the 30 controller was.

So on one hand we have the playstation controller, which has been almost the same design since the ps1. Make a huge step forward in design, which by the way was what many playstation gamers were asking for,  a change.Many has always said that the ps controllers were almost perfect. 

So by your words, "vastly improved" means what ???

M$ had a chance to remove the battery pack in their controller, but chose not to. Their were concerns about the d-pad on the 360 controller and again they hav a chance to improve it, but again did not. If the average gamer looks at the 360 controller alongside the XBOne controller, most would not even know the difference. 

On a side note,  we have the Nintendo controllers which has changed design almost every console release, from the wii-u pad, the wii mote, gamecube controller, N64 controller, and so on. IMO, that is one of the faults of Nintendo. they need to figure out a stable design for their consumers. In their last 5 consoles, there has been 5 drasticly different controller designs. As a gamer, this is one of my biggest gripes of them/.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The DS4 essentially brought over what was perfect with the 360 (the triggers) over to the playstation and changed the form to be more comfortable. The 360 wasn't perfect though, it lacked a proper D-Pad, which the DS4 has and it is still better than the Xbox Ones. The DS3 was far from perfect and it didn't seem like Sony learned their lesson, but the DS4 is essentially the 360 and PS3 controller in one. It didn't add the weak points either. The top buttons on the PS4 are well placed as they always have been, they just have proper triggers now (about damn time) and actually feel remarkably better than the 360 when you touch them, but then again with newer generations usually we tend to see a lot of learning from previous generations. Sony learned their lesson in a big way. That controller is perfect for every genre omitting motion controls. I am glad the six axis is still in it.

It's not a combination of the 360 and dual shock controllers, please... The ds 4 is the ds3 with better triggers, and got stretched out simply because it had to to make room for the touch pad. End of story. Good controller, Sonys best by far, but essentially the same thing from 15 years ago when it first came out a anps1 controller.

Why are there so many "this is the best" and "x > y" topics on here when it's all just opinions and personal taste?
I never liked the DualShock (DS) best due to various (personal) reasons (weight, size (my hands are too big so I can't hold it properly without my hands hurting after a while), the sticks until DS3, the d-pad feels sloppy to me (even the DS4 one which people claim to be amazing)). There's no "best" controller for me. Gamecube was perfect for my hands and the buttons it had were good, dpad sucked though and Z was quite off. Xbox and Xbox 360 feel great but have issues with dpad etc. SNES was amazing but like DS it's too small nowadays, as a kid it was perfect of course.

Justagamer said:

It's not a combination of the 360 and dual shock controllers, please... The ds 4 is the ds3 with better triggers, and got stretched out simply because it had to to make room for the touch pad. End of story. Good controller, Sonys best by far, but essentially the same thing from 15 years ago when it first came out a anps1 controller.

Then you're obviously not paying attention subtleties even though I might have slightly exaggerated by saying its the PS3 and PS3 controller in one. In retrospect I would say it was kind of like them both in one, but more of a hint of what mattered in the 360 than a full blend. What I meant to say was I feel like the PS4 controller as far as ergonomics has the shooters covered from the back grip to trigger area covered similarly to the 360 where it counts. Its much, much better for shooters. Akin to the 360 the back grip has less of an arch than the DS3 which allows the hand to properly rest on the slight curve in the mold rather than a dramatic arch.  I dont feel the old DS feeling when I touch the controller. PS4 controller has a more circular palm grip which fits to the hand, which no DS controller had before. The Xbox one also changed the shape to a better form fit for the palm than even the DS4, but the button layouts were left wanting after such a great design change for the better. If you were to put the DS3 and the 360 controller together that would be essentially the PS4. The tip of the wings of the bottom of the controller also feel more rounded  rather than going into a cone like shape like they used to now its like a cylinder. The DS4 also feels larger in your hand than the DS3 and more shapely to the touch. Pay attention to ergonomics. If a third party were to put rubber grips on it that DS4 it would feel almost perfect, especially if it had gel grips. The Xbox one controller doesnt even need a grip sleeve because its formed perfectly for the hand (even better than the 360 in that way) but the DS4 benefits more overall after that little adjustment.

I would have to say yes, though I still hold a special place in my heart for the SNES controller, the Genesis 6 button controller, the Logitech PS2 wireless controller, and the Logitech wired PS2 controller.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
Ostro said:
Why are there so many "this is the best" and "x > y" topics on here when it's all just opinions and personal taste?
I never liked the DualShock (DS) best due to various (personal) reasons (weight, size (my hands are too big so I can't hold it properly without my hands hurting after a while), the sticks until DS3, the d-pad feels sloppy to me (even the DS4 one which people claim to be amazing)). There's no "best" controller for me. Gamecube was perfect for my hands and the buttons it had were good, dpad sucked though and Z was quite off. Xbox and Xbox 360 feel great but have issues with dpad etc. SNES was amazing but like DS it's too small nowadays, as a kid it was perfect of course.

Indeed you are correct, everyone has different opinions, but as much as a game may suck, controls, graphics, playability ie Sonic The Hedgehog (the remake), there will always be a best, ie Sonic 2.....

There is always soething that is better than something else. FACT.

And as you stated, you loved the Gamecube controller, so in essence, thats YOUR GREATEST of all time, RIGHT ?

adriane23 said:
I would have to say yes, though I still hold a special place in my heart for the SNES controller, the Genesis 6 button controller, the Logitech PS2 wireless controller, and the Logitech wired PS2 controller.

When the Genesis 6 button controller was released, OMG, I was in in controller heaven......

Why in the world is the N64's controller on here and the Gamecube's not?

MTZehvor said:
Why in the world is the N64's controller on here and the Gamecube's not?

Sorry.

I did see a few gamecube lovers in the posts too.......... 

GC master race!