By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dualshock 4, the GREATEST controller of all time.

Is the Dualshck 4 the greatest controller of all time.

Dualshock 4 446 47.00%

Sega Dreamcast Controller 21 2.21%

NES Controller 18 1.90%

Dualshock 3 27 2.85%

XBox 360 Controller 191 20.13%

N64 Controller 34 3.58%

Sega Genesis 6 Button Controller 4 0.42%

Other 208 21.92%

Total:949
Adinnieken said:
HoloDust said:
Keyboard + Mouse - more or less unchanged and still kicking butt for 40+ years.

Wow!  You are way off.

Keyboard and mouse for game control didn't come until the late 1980's.

Initially, PC games were widely joystick-based, or if they used the keyboard, they used the entire keyboard and games with a keyboard overlay.

So, truly, the keyboard + mouse combination didn't come into gaming as it is today until the mid to late 1990's with RTS games and eventually FPS. 

To be precise, the very first FPS I recall configuring mouse look in the modern way was Marathon (by Bungie!) it was the first that we had to aim vertically as well as horizontally!

Duke nukem supported mouse look as well, but it was useless as the game auto aimed vertically, just like doom, and it deformed the image when you looked up and down.

Then when the Quake beta leaked (that may have been about 1 to 2 years later) I recall showing my PC friends how I configured Marathon (this early version of Quake had no interface, so we had to create some config file to map the controls, those early LAN based games were pretty neat!

Around the Network
lucidium said:
Bah, neogeo CD controller is the greatest of all time, closely followed by "the bug" joystick by cheetah, and the Cruiser joystick too.

And there lies the problem.  We can all say which controller is our personal favorite based on the ones we've actually spent time with but the majority of us haven't spent time with anything but a select few brands of controllers.  I've never touched a Neo Geo CD or even seen one in person.  How can I say that it won't give me an orgasm when I touch it?  I feel like too many people already have their minds made up that "Controller A" is going to be the best controller ever before they even touch it.  They bend their opinion to fit this.

d21lewis said:
lucidium said:
Bah, neogeo CD controller is the greatest of all time, closely followed by "the bug" joystick by cheetah, and the Cruiser joystick too.

And there lies the problem.  We can all say which controller is our personal favorite based on the ones we've actually spent time with but the majority of us haven't spent time with anything but a select few brands of controllers.  I've never touched a Neo Geo CD or even seen one in person.  How can I say that it won't give me an orgasm when I touch it?  I feel like too many people already have their minds made up that "Controller A" is going to be the best controller ever before they even touch it.  They bend their opinion to fit this.

I say then, choose from "YOUR" personal favorites. It may never be known which is best of all time, but with polls and millions and millions of gamer's posting their results, we wil have a clearer picture.

Adinnieken said:
HoloDust said:
Keyboard + Mouse - more or less unchanged and still kicking butt for 40+ years.

Wow!  You are way off.

Keyboard and mouse for game control didn't come until the late 1980's.

Initially, PC games were widely joystick-based, or if they used the keyboard, they used the entire keyboard and games with a keyboard overlay.

So, truly, the keyboard + mouse combination didn't come into gaming as it is today until the mid to late 1990's with RTS games and eventually FPS. 

I meant Keyboard and Mouse is 40+ years old as input method. Not specifically K&M as in FPS combo.

I had mouse for C64 and remember playing Arkanoid with it, and from '88 I had Amiga 500 which has mouse by default. So, while maybe not being used in games for 40+ years (no idea if Xerox Alto had any games), they have been used way before mid 90s.

d21lewis said:
lucidium said:

Well, it is a preference issue after all.

But man, micro switched dpad on neogeo CD is sexy.

Around the Network

DS4 really is the amazing. I actually marvel at how perfect it feels in the hands. If I had one complaint is that I'd wish the rubber on the sticks was textured like xone. Although I still much prefer the DS4 in every other regard.

Nah the X1 and 360 controller is still better.

Chris Hu said:

What about them make them better ? 

sabastian said:
Chris Hu said:

What about them make them better ? 

The position of the left analoge stick.  And for the X1 the rumble triggers.

People say the X! controller messed up the bumpers (L1/R1 for you non Xbox players). I disagree. Now I can press them without even reaising my fingers off of triggers! Pretty clever design in my opinion.