By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Castlevania Circle of the Moon kuporeview

Tagged games:

Soleron said:
kupomogli said:
Soleron said:

No it doesn't.  You take X(my score) - 10 x -1, which gives you whatever is left, so if I scored 6.25 which is the case for this game, 2.75.  Then Y(2.75) x .5(or /2) + X(my score) = Z(the inflated score.)  You'd get 7.625, which rounds down to 7.6. 

If you do the same thing for let's say a 1/10, then 1 - 10 x -1 = 9.  9 x .5 + 1 =  5.5.  It's pretty accurate, because most games that score 5.5 journalists act like they're unplayable, where a 1/10 should be regarded as something that's unplayable.

You made a mistake. "whatever is left" in your example is 3.75, not 2.75. Which then gives 8.125, which is, as I said, halfway between 6.25 and 10.

Your equation really does reduce to that.

Oops you're right.  3.75.  Made a mistake then finished the rest out with the incorrect value. 

Also, I didn't add up what you said.  I read it and then the second paragraph confused me.  I was like, I'd be scoring in the negatives what?  Now I get what you meant.  And yeah you're right, but see, the way you did it with (my score + 10)/2 it doesn't actually tell where I got the increase from.  With the way I did it, it shows where the extra point value comes from at the cost of another step. 

While there are games that review lower  than 5.5.  Most people consider 5.5 to be an unplayable game because of Metacritic. 

Around the Network

This is some revisionist BS IMO. The game was nearly flawless for it's time and scored 9's all over the place. You can't review a game 13 years after it's release, because you're judging it against everything that advanced the series afterwards.

I can't stand retro reviews because of this. If you're wanting to know how good the game was for it's time, go read the original reviews when it released and for the love of god, don't bitch about it because it "aged" or "feels archaic". Why? Because it IS old and IS arachaitc. Complaining about an old game playing like an old game is the dumbest thing in gaming journalism.

Leadified said:
Good review, I've never played Circle of the Moon myself but it kind of sounds like if Simon's Quest was done on the GBA, which isn't really a bad thing, the idea behind that game was good but the execution was a bit lackluster. I might check out CotM sometime.

Don't go into it expecting Simon's Quest. If anything, Circle of the Moon is Symphony of the Night - Lite

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

I don't totally understand your way to score games. But overall a very concise review. This was my favorite Castlevania on gba, pretty fun game.

leyendax69 said:
I don't totally understand your way to score games. But overall a very concise review. This was my favorite Castlevania on gba, pretty fun game.

I really just make up numbers that coincide with the overal score I want to give it.  J/k.  All four categories are the category plus weight.  If the game is mostly gameplay then usually everything is weighted towards that already, and then if has any other issues additional weight can be thrown on to reduce the score.  I do kind of give it a range on where I think the score belongs so I'll mess around with the numbers a bit to get it where I like it, but overall it's what I said on the second sentence.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
Leadified said:
Good review, I've never played Circle of the Moon myself but it kind of sounds like if Simon's Quest was done on the GBA, which isn't really a bad thing, the idea behind that game was good but the execution was a bit lackluster. I might check out CotM sometime.

Don't go into it expecting Simon's Quest. If anything, Circle of the Moon is Symphony of the Night - Lite

Pretty accurate description. IT wasn't anywhere near as good as Aria of Sorrow, but it was a better title than Harmony of Disonnance, and comes recommended by me.

Circle of the moon is my favorite Castlevania, you are harsh.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Good review. I disagree with the final score, but I appreciate the detailed analysis.

I like Circle of the Moon -- superior level design, huge map, tight controls, surprisingly deep and strategic gameplay, excellent sound and music. It set a solid foundation for games like Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow, both of which are among the best Castlevania games.