By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Flamebaiting threads on the forums

Hey guys.

I noticed something increasingly displeasing on these forums, that got especially bad in the last year.

Several trolling or flamebaiting threads are created often (usually part of this ongoing fanboy war and seeing who spites the other most). I have taken it upon myself to start reporting these threads. That might help the mods contain them.

These threads only sow flame wars, trolling and make the forum experience bad for everyone. Forums can be civilised places to discuss videogames if everyone plays along, im sure this one can be aswell if we all work towards it. Its not difficult to make a thread that is civilised and doesnt begin with an outrageous claim/title that many times has little to do with the contents. Even if what you have to say is outrageous there are civilised ways of putting it without beeing confrontational. In the end, its only your opinion.

I'm sure we can have civilised arguments without jumping at each others throats. For that i ask the help of those that care.

A thread is going overboard? Making a dumb or outrageous claim aimed at baiting? Report it. Theres no reason to have this hostile envyronment around and lets try to contain it.

Also, try not to jump at everyone else that has a different opinion than yours. Respect other people's opinions (especially if they are fundamented).

I leave a plead to the forum leaders aswell. I'm of the opinion the point system sows this problem. It would be great if creating threads didnt award points to users. That might clean up the forums of many of these unproductive threads.

At any rate, that is my feedback and atempt at trying to make this a better place for debating.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: I tried to make this thread on the website feedback forums but i seem to not have suceeded. If a mod can help and move the thread i would apreciate it.

Around the Network

Yes, I noticed that too, it is getting quite uglier day after day =/

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Indeed, it's getting so ugly that I'm posting less and less with each passing day, I even considered a permaban.

I always come back though but lately I don't feel like coming back anymore.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I agree. I often try to report often and it really is a plague.

I agree, but I don't think the points causes it. If that was the case, you wouldn't see this trolling on YouTube or whatever.

Around the Network

Yeah, let's make this into the same boring and generic gaming forum like every other. I don't see how flamebaiting threads are not fun. Actually one of the most fun activities around here is looking at the list of who got banned and for what.

I don't like outrageous claims if they are genuinely believed but sadly those claims won't get you abnned on here.
It's basically like this.

Making a joke thread about an outrageous claim --> ban
Being a sincere idiot and making an outrageous claim --> free pass
Making a thread to ridicule the same idiot --> ban

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It's up to the moderators to take action and actually start dishing out some serious consequences. Why do you think it keeps happening? Because people keep getting away with it.

It has gone on for to long now. We also need to seperate PlayStation and Sony, XBOX and Microsoft. The company wars are tiring.

vivster said:
Yeah, let's make this into the same boring and generic gaming forum like every other. I don't see how flamebaiting threads are not fun. Actually one of the most fun activities around here is looking at the list of who got banned and for what.

I don't like outrageous claims if they are genuinely believed but sadly those claims won't get you abnned on here.
It's basically like this.

Making a joke thread about an outrageous claim --> ban
Being a sincere idiot and making an outrageous claim --> free pass
Making a thread to ridicule the same idiot --> ban

If that is your mindset, you are part of the problem here.

Well said.

Report it and move on.