By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - inFamous: Second Son Review Thread

J_Allard said:
Meh reviews are solidifying my personal decision to go Xbone before PS4. Seems people have issues with the story and last gen gameplay, exactly what I was worried about watching gameplay videos. I mean hey it looks pretty but does it PLAY any different than Infamous on PS3? Apparently not.

Why would anyone want it to? The infamous series had amazing gameplay in the first place. Seems they have simply refined the formula and added a diverse list of new powers, which is precisely what fans wanted. Most of the complaints seem to be about the lack of weight behind the morality system, and lack of diversity in side mission. Not the gameplay itself. You shouldn't have an issue with that, since the complaints about lack of diversity was held by TF too.

I'm curious though, if 81 represents "meh reviews", does TF's 86 represent "pretty okay" to you? ^^ You must have hated Dead Rising D:

Review wise both console are sitting in about the same place. Excluding TF (which is available to anyone with a mediocre PC, and soon anyone with a 360), neither have particularly excelled at all in reviews. The X1's highest rated proper exclusive if Forza 5 at 80, and the PS4's is (presently) 81 with inFamous. Choosing a console based on reviews would be pretty silly at this point.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
J_Allard said:
Meh reviews are solidifying my personal decision to go Xbone before PS4. Seems people have issues with the story and last gen gameplay, exactly what I was worried about watching gameplay videos. I mean hey it looks pretty but does it PLAY any different than Infamous on PS3? Apparently not.

Does Titanfall play any different than last gen FPS?

Yet that game has 87% on Metacritic just because it's a hyped FPS. Most overrated genre ever.

Anyway, it seems professional reviewers aren't as generous with their scores this gen, I hope this continues. Way too many games got an 90%+ metacritic score last gen. Especially on the XBOX360/PS3. In no way do yearly rehashes like FIFA deserve anything close to 90%. 

Titanfall is 86% now on metacritic. As good as BF4 on PS4 then.

DerNebel said:
J_Allard said:

I suppose "last gen gameplay" and "next gen gameplay" are going to become the new completely meaningless buzzwords of the game industry.

especially for last gen games like titanfall...I know infamous SS looks great and utilizes the touch pad and speaker for better immersion of the gaming experience...

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

So it currently is like this

Infamous 1 85
Infamous 2 83
Infamous 3 81

With the general consensus that Infamous 1 had major problems, Infamous 2 was better and Infamous 3 is the best of the series. Reviewers are great people.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

sales2099 said:

It is interesting to ntoe the differences between us two fans. Xbox fans knew Titanfalls lack of campaign would hurt its meta so we predicted 85-89 bracket. We nailed it.

PS fans, instead of using metacritic scores of Infamous 1 and 2, they predict 90+. lol....guys, history is your friend.

If we translate that poll into the same scales used for your TF prediction thread, it becomes:
TF Predictions:

90+: 22.51%

85-89 - 44.5%

80-84: 21.99%

70 - 79: 10.99%

inFamous:

90+: 20.99%

85 - 89: 51.85%

80-84: 19.75%

70 - 79: 7.41%

Looks pretty similar now ay? The whole thing is pointless anyway. These polls are anonymous, so heavily warped by fanboys of both sides. Niether side is any better at predicting scores. Forza 5 and Killzone are proof of that :P

Around the Network

From what I'm seeing, it's not that Second Son is a bad game. Reviewers are mostly dinging it because they are all anticipating that "next gen gameplay" which has yet to be achieved. But what is this next gen gameplay suppose to be like? I don't know!

Jumpinbeans said:
Funny how you can read a review about a hyped game like TF which mentions all the flaws and missing things and still gives it 90ish and then the same reviewers hammer this......

agh well gotta love the press. Cant wait for my copy to arrive, booked tomorrow off to play it :)

It's different, generation fast food FPS.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

DerNebel said:
sales2099 said:

It is interesting to ntoe the differences between us two fans. Xbox fans knew Titanfalls lack of campaign would hurt its meta so we predicted 85-89 bracket. We nailed it.

PS fans, instead of using metacritic scores of Infamous 1 and 2, they predict 90+. lol....guys, history is your friend.

You really wanna go there? Have we forgottten Forza 5 already?

Based on its history, it did come as a surprise. Seems more like the exception to the rule if anything

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

The infamous games never got past 85 in their meta scores, and since this game is, based from what the reviews have said, more of the same old infamous but only prettier then I suspect it to have around 80-85 in it's final score as well. Considering this is next-gen, i guess people just expected something far greater than the previous infamous and that's why the other scores aren't improving.

halil23 said:

When I go to meta and click on "All this publication's reviews" from shitty/m$ moneyhatting grabbers reviewers it doesn't work! Strange...

Wanna prove the bias of all these corrupted unreliable sites :
Metro GameCentral
Eurogamer
games(TM)
Edge
Shacknews

Not surprised Polygon gave good score, after all they gotta cover up their fake site that funded by m$...

Huh?

Way to overreact guys.. A game getting ~80% on average from multiple reviewers should be considered very good. About what I expected tbh.