By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro discusses the challenges of developing for the Wii U

curl-6 said:
F0X said:
"We had a brand new engine, brand new tools..."

So DKC:TF wasn't built with some updated version of the DKCR engine?

Well, this is probably why the game took so long to make.

I too assumed it was made on the DKCR engine, but I suppose now that they're working with programmable shaders their old engine probably wasn't compatible.

This does help explain why it took so long, and now that the engine is in place, hopefully their next game will be built more quickly.

Tropical Freeze showed a lot of the typical growing pains we saw other studios go through back in the early days of PS3 and 360, transitioning from SD to HD. Hopefully now that they have experience, their next game will break free of these shackles and really put the system through its paces, like all their previous games did.

It's easy to forget that Retro has been using the same engine (albiet updated each time) ever since their first game. :P

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
F0X said:
curl-6 said:
F0X said:

I too assumed it was made on the DKCR engine, but I suppose now that they're working with programmable shaders their old engine probably wasn't compatible.

This does help explain why it took so long, and now that the engine is in place, hopefully their next game will be built more quickly.

Tropical Freeze showed a lot of the typical growing pains we saw other studios go through back in the early days of PS3 and 360, transitioning from SD to HD. Hopefully now that they have experience, their next game will break free of these shackles and really put the system through its paces, like all their previous games did.

It's easy to forget that Retro has been using the same engine (albiet updated each time) ever since their first game. :P

That's one of the things that impressed me most about DKCR; not only that it was totally unnoticeable that it was using the Metroid Prime engine, but that until then they had the reputation as the guys who were "great at Metroid, but what else can they do?" but DKCR proved that they could make a completely different style of game and still do a brilliant job.

curl-6 said:
F0X said:
curl-6 said:
F0X said:

That's one of the things that impressed me most about DKCR; not only that it was totally unnoticeable that it was using the Metroid Prime engine, but that until then they had the reputation as the guys who were "great at Metroid, but what else can they do?" but DKCR proved that they could make a completely different style of game and still do a brilliant job.

Although the biggest reason why Metroid Prime's first-person platforming actually works is because Retro is very good at platform placement.

WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:
curl-6 said:
F0X said:
curl-6 said:

Although the biggest reason why Metroid Prime's first-person platforming actually works is because Retro is very good at platform placement.

Big difference between platform placement in a slow moving 3D adventure game and in a fast moving 2D platformer though, haha.

curl-6 said:
F0X said:

Big difference between platform placement in a slow moving 3D adventure game and in a fast moving 2D platformer though, haha.

Indeed. It's as if Retro always knows exactly what kind of game they're trying to make.

Around the Network

Retro is first-party, not second-party. Nintendo owns a majority share of them.

SW-5120-1900-6153