By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro discusses the challenges of developing for the Wii U

If you'd?

Current consoles: Wii U, Gaming PC

Add me on Wii U! Adamjh99

Add me on Steam! GamingByAdam

Around the Network

Didn't they already say Wii U was a powerhouse?

Y u cut off? :(

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Haha, the ad at the bottom blocks off the last sentence, but that was the last sentence saying that if you'd like to read the interview, you can click some link

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/

^Here's said link if anyone else wants to read it: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/17/how-retro-studios-makes-nintendo-games

Around the Network

They didn't even use the gamepad though. At all. Lol

Top 10 Games of All Time

1. The Last of Us, 2. Journey, 3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, 4. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, 5. Bioshock Infinite, 6. Zelda: Twilight Princess, 7. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, 8. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, 9. Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, 10. Starcraft

Add me on PSN. Thanks.

@Geo

Let's be honest... Wii Us gamepad is either very useful or completely useless from game to game and screen that is its major feature has the same role as bottom screen of DS and 3DS. Some games make a perfect use of it while other have something there just for the heck of it.

"We had a brand new engine, brand new tools..."

So DKC:TF wasn't built with some updated version of the DKCR engine?

Well, this is probably why the game took so long to make.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

The game took so long cause Retro is also working as a tool/engine developer for Ninty.theyre not just making games. kinda like ND for Sony

F0X said:
"We had a brand new engine, brand new tools..."

So DKC:TF wasn't built with some updated version of the DKCR engine?

Well, this is probably why the game took so long to make.

I too assumed it was made on the DKCR engine, but I suppose now that they're working with programmable shaders their old engine probably wasn't compatible.

This does help explain why it took so long, and now that the engine is in place, hopefully their next game will be built more quickly.

Tropical Freeze showed a lot of the typical growing pains we saw other studios go through back in the early days of PS3 and 360, transitioning from SD to HD. Hopefully now that they have experience, their next game will break free of these shackles and really put the system through its paces, like all their previous games did.